Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: DS Flash Carts---A new thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Thanks for that. ^ Overall I'm pretty happy with it. When I bought it, I really only wanted it for music and movies and didn't even think about emulation. So I guess for $18 bucks I got my money's worth even if I can't emulate EarthBound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

YES! I got my Supercard Lite MicroSD card today and a 2GB MicroSD card for the total price of around $75. It works perfectly for NES emulation, just copy the files to the MicroSD card, pop it in the cart (which fits perfectly flush with my DS Lite), and away you go! So freakin sweet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to get a Slot-2 card soon but I'm still kinda confused about how they work. Are there any that don't require you to flash your DS, or will I have to do that with every one i buy?

The G6 looks good but I'd like something that takes a MicroSD, so I'll probably go with the M3 Lite (as long as I don't have to flash anything).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefaultGen View Post
    norkusa, you have to flash your DS unless you use a Pass-cart of some kind (I'm pretty sure slot 1 flash carts will work, otherwise there are dedicated ones). Having a flashed DS is safer since you can recover from a brick though.
    I keep my R4 in DS 24/7, so I don't think that'd be a problem (I can use a R4 as a pass card, right?). Just wanted to be sure I didn't have to do anything complicated to my DS to get the slot-2 to work. Sounds like it's pretty easy to use though.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I'm going to get a Slot-2 card soon but I'm still kinda confused about how they work. Are there any that don't require you to flash your DS, or will I have to do that with every one i buy?
    If you're going to use the slot-2 cart for GBA stuff, then any one will work out of the box with nothing else necessary. If you want it for more NDS stuff, then you'll need to boot the GBA cart into NDS mode using your R4. Either way, flashing your DS is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by DefaultGen
    Having a flashed DS is safer since you can recover from a brick though.
    Recover from a brick caused by flashing your DS, you mean? That's really the only way people brick their DSes. There's that BrickMe trojan (which was written by one of the coders who worke don FlashMe mostly to get people to use FlashMe), but I've never heard of anyone actually getting it.

The main advantage of flashing your DS is that it will allow you to use single-card multiplayer (Download Play) in games booted from a flash card. Otherwise, I don't really see any good reason for it.

...word is bondage...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info, SFD. Yeah, I'm just going to be using it for GBA stuff (my R4 will do everything else), so I shouldn't have any problems setting it up.

One thing I can't figure out though is the difference between the M3 Lite Perfect and Pro versions. I went to modchipstore.com to look at them and the descriptions for both were exactly the same.

Also, what's a good store to purchase from?
    Last edited by norkusa; 05-09-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing I can't figure out though is the difference between the M3 Lite Perfect and Pro versions. I went to modchipstore.com to look at them and the descriptions for both were exactly the same.
    The Pro has no GBA support, so you don't want that one. I'm surprised that any site selling it wouldn't mention it in their product description.

There seem to be a lot of good ones, but I haven't ordered from very many myself. modchipstore, gamersection, kicktrading, etc. all have fairly good reputations, though. I would not recommend ordering from divineo.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks again for all the minfo SFD. I ended up going for the M3 Lite Perfect since I had an extra 1gb MicroSD card laying around that I could use with it. Best price I found was Modchip store for $75 + 7 for ship and it should be here in only a few days.

Do you know if these M3 Lites are ready to use out of the box, or do they have to have firmware installed on it before using like the the R4 does?

Was also kind of surprised to see that these M3 Lites can play all kinds of video formats like AVI's and MPEG's. To play video on the R4 though, you first gotta convert it to some obscure format that only the DS can read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I got my Supercard from www.realhotstuff.com and got it super quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you know if these M3 Lites are ready to use out of the box, or do they have to have firmware installed on it before using like the the R4 does?
    Updating the firmware to the most recent version is always recommended, but the cart should work out of th box.

Was also kind of surprised to see that these M3 Lites can play all kinds of video formats like AVI's and MPEG's. To play video on the R4 though, you first gotta convert it to some obscure format that only the DS can read.
    That's false advertising. What they mean is that the M3 can play formats like AVI and MPEG if you first convert the videos into an obscure format that only the DS can read. The M3 has two built in options for video playback actually, but neither is as good as the most recent version of Moonshell which comes on the R4 (and can be installed onto an M3, too, of course).

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my M3 Lite today but I'm having a hard time getting everything set-up. It looks like I'm following the instructions correctly, but I'm still not getting anywhere.

Since it's supposed to play GBA roms right out of the box, I put a couple (unzipped) on a microSD card and fired up the M3 Lite. When I selected the rom, the "Loading" bar would reach to the end but the system would freeze up after that. I reset the DS and when I got back to the M3 menu, it said something like "no NDSSAVE directory found". So I put a folder called NDSSAVE on the root of the stick and tried it again. This time it says "Warning! NDS GAME SAVE in card but CANNOT find AUTOSAVE backup file. Press A to continue."

So this is where I'm stuck at. Trying to dig around for info online like a FAQ for this or something but haven't found anything yet. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I installed the loader (whatever thats for) on the M3 Lite like the instructions says and it looks like it installed properly. Am I supposed to tweak the roms with this M3 Game Manager software before I put them on the MicroSD? I thought it was just drag-and-drop with the M3 Lite but maybe I'm wrong?

EDIT: Okay, got the games working (had to boot into GBA mode first...instructions didn't mention this) but now I can't save for some reason. I'm still getting that "CANNOT find AUTOSAVE backup file" message. What gives?
    Last edited by norkusa; 05-16-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unlike the R4 and other slot-1 cards, the M3 doesn't create the save file on the cartridge the first time you play a game. There has to already be an empty save file there in order for the save to be written. If you used the card manager program, it would write the save files automatically, but if you know the proper directory and naming structure you could also do it yourself. For instance, on the G6, save files are placed in the same directory as the ROM and have the same filename as the ROM, but with an .0, .1 or .2 (since you can have up to three save files for each ROM) extension instead of .GBA or .NDS. I don't know how the M3 organizes saves, but you just need to figure it out, then you can create the save files yourself by writing an empty 128KB file to the right location or just copying one of the existing saves with a new name.

Some GBA ROMs will need to be patched in order to save properly, though, so you may just prefer to use the M3 Manager program. There's also a program called GBA Tool Advanced which can do the patching and other things and this is what I use since the G6 Manager utility doesn't agree with Windows 98.

If you use the M3 for NDS ROMs, they will need to be run through the Manager since unpatched DS ROMs will not work on any slot-2 device.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks explaining that SFD. I was going nuts all day yesterday trying to figure out what was going on. I tried using the M3 game manager program, but I honestly had no idea what I was doing, even after reading the shitty engrish instructions.

I dunno about this M3 Lite cart. I was hoping that it'd be like the R4 where you could just drag-and-drop GBA roms in and be done with it. Looks like all GBA flash carts require you to do some kind of tweaking with the roms though. It's ind of a pain in the ass for me since I'm on a Mac and I gotta boot into Windows just to use that Game Manager program. I don't even play that much GBA stuff anyways and my PSP emulates GBA pretty well, so maybe I'll just sell it off.

On the bright side though, Modchipstore.com gave me a USB reader, Passcard, and some extra DS shells all for free. Don't know if they included it by accident or if they were just dumping some old stock. Either way, I'll probably makes some extra cash on everything if I do decide to sell it all off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the M3 was probably not the best choice for a slot-2 cart if you only wanted it for GBA stuff and especially if you're a Mac user. The EFA-Linker is the card I'd recommend for non-Windows users wanting a GBA flash cart.

However, drag & drop will work just fine on the M3, you just need to know where the save files go and how they should be named. If you can't use the M3 Manager to find out, maybe someone here has an M3 will speak up or you could go ask at the GBAtemp forums or something.

...word is bondage...

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

What do you guys suggest for gameboy/color emulation on the DS? Or is it not worth it yet? I've got an R4, so slot 1 software suggestions please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    There seem to be a lot of good ones, but I haven't ordered from very many myself. modchipstore, gamersection, kicktrading, etc. all have fairly good reputations, though. I would not recommend ordering from divineo.
    hmm... I ordered my M3 Simply from divineo when it first came out, and had no problems at all: the package arrived fast and safe. However, I just recently bought another M3 Simply from them for a friend which ended up being faulty, and at the moment I'm waiting for them to reply to the email I sent them a couple of days ago... :/

Until I read your comment, I had heard nothing but good things about divineo (which is why I chose them in the first place). Is there any reason I should worry about things going sour now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus View Post
    hmm... I ordered my M3 Simply from divineo when it first came out, and had no problems at all: the package arrived fast and safe. However, I just recently bought another M3 Simply from them for a friend which ended up being faulty, and at the moment I'm waiting for them to reply to the email I sent them a couple of days ago... :/

Until I read your comment, I had heard nothing but good things about divineo (which is why I chose them in the first place). Is there any reason I should worry about things going sour now?
    Well, I wouldn't expect them to just totally ignore you forever unless they've gotten even worse than the last time I heard about them. Their customer service and general responsiveness is certifiably shitty, though, so don't expect the return to go totally smoothly. I had a bad experience with them myself and I've seen more negative reports about them than you would expect based on just the law of averages. For some reason that I still haven't seen explained, with CycloDS Evolution card Divineo was actually just sending out the bare cards without the tin box that it's supposed to fcome in and sometimes even without the USB card reader, and with absolutely no warning about that on their site or a reduced shipping charge or anything. To me that seems amazingly unprofessional.

For Gameboy emulators on the DS, check out Lameboy. A new version just came out last week or so that I haven't gotten around to putting on my card, but it was already pretty excellent emulation in the previous version. I still prefer Goomba, which is the Gameboy emulator for the GBA. The main advatage is has is support for custom palettes. However, it obviously won't work in a slot-1 DS flash card, so you'll have to use Lameboy, whihc is nearly as good anyway. ALso, Lameboy is still being worked on, unlike Goomba, so hopefully soon it will have support for custom palettes (which would be easier to make using the DS touchscreen anyway) and maybe even the "official" colorized palettes and Super Gameboy palettes which are actually not available in Goomba.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi.

I've been trying to score a new R4 from dealextreme but the price has been bumped up to 40$.

Are there any cheaper solutions [bear in mind im only interested in the R4]?

Is this a reputable page:
    http://www.gameyeeeah.com/r4-ds-revo...ter-p-190.html

or are there better sources?