Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic Gaming Expo 2007 Announced!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Exclamation Classic Gaming Expo 2007 Announced!

As of just a few minutes ago:

Mark your calendars and get your vacation plans in order, because Classic Gaming Expo 2007 is a GO, and we're bringing the show back to its original home in Las Vegas!

The dates are July 28th and 29th and the hotel is right on the strip.

Hotel details will come within the next week as we acquire the necessary discount codes and website registration from them. Don't book your hotel until you get this info from us, as there will be some exciting incentives for those who book at the hotel the show is running in.

We've been looking forward to this for a long time. Get ready for the best CGE ever... stay tuned! In the meantime, feel free to discuss the show past, present and future with our partners at Digital Press in the Classic Gaming Expo forum.

See www.cgexpo.com for official announcements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woot this is great news! How many years has it been since it left Vegas? Well thats been how many years it's been since the last CGE I went to.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

right on the strip this time(I guess you got tired of doing freemont street )
    I'll wait until the hotel is announced before I book anything.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Conflict with San Diego Comic-Con

Terrible news for me (and others I suspect). I am afraid I have reservations (since July '06) for Comic-Con. I would have made any work arrangement to go to CGE this year (coverage switches) but already have family/friends going to Comic-Con. This seems a horrendous oversight to me especially given the now "every 2 year" CGE.

Why the conflict? Just not perceived? Any explanation?

Doc

www.roguesynapse.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaviii View Post
    Terrible news for me (and others I suspect). I am afraid I have reservations (since July '06) for Comic-Con. I would have made any work arrangement to go to CGE this year (coverage switches) but already have family/friends going to Comic-Con. This seems a horrendous oversight to me especially given the now "every 2 year" CGE.

Why the conflict? Just not perceived? Any explanation?

Doc

www.roguesynapse.com
    it basicly depends on the hotel for the dates of a show,rember a while back it predetimed as august for CGE, the hotel prob had august booked for something so the planners had to move the show to july.
    and basicly, you can't plan around other shows,because there are just to many going on unlike the early years when there was hardly any.
    look at happened to VGS'06 same date as Gen-Con in indy, I did remember
    about it but, at the same time I wanted MGC an VGS at least 2 months apart
    with MGC being in june my only choice was august(I could have had it end of july or same week as I've been doing it(the week after forth of july,which I'm planning to do for next year and beyond)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dan, I certainly understand where you're coming from. It's just that Comic-Con is really really really big (87K+ strong). I am certain I won't be the only one here lamenting not being able to attend both. I fly in from Texas and would have to arrange coverage at work but would definitely have figured out a way to go to both no matter the cost. I'm not angry just really disappointed I won't be able to attend. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe 2009 . . .

Doc

www.roguesynapse.com

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaviii View Post
    Dan, I certainly understand where you're coming from. It's just that Comic-Con is really really really big (87K+ strong).
    This is true, but you're talking about a videogame con conflicting with a comic con. Yes, they cross each other somewhat fanbase-wise, but it's not like CGE is conflicting with another videogame-con. If they had to schedule around every other event that drew those kinds of numbers on the West Coast, then they'd have to schedule around NASCAR races, pro football games, RPG cons, SCA events, Renn Faires, etc. Pretty talk order, unless CGE were held Jan. 12 from midnight to 4 a.m. Also, one event is in San Diego, CA, the other is in Las Vegas, NV. If CGE were being held in CA again at the same time, then I could REALLY understand the perceived clash. But I digress. It's a shame, yes, but you seem to be taking it personally, as you've posted your lament in both threads.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    This is true, but you're talking about a videogame con conflicting with a comic con. Yes, they cross each other somewhat fanbase-wise, but it's not like CGE is conflicting with another videogame-con. If they had to schedule around every other event that drew those kinds of numbers on the West Coast, then they'd have to schedule around NASCAR races, pro football games, RPG cons, SCA events, Renn Faires, etc. Pretty talk order, unless CGE were held Jan. 12 from midnight to 4 a.m. Also, one event is in San Diego, CA, the other is in Las Vegas, NV. If CGE were being held in CA again at the same time, then I could REALLY understand the perceived clash. But I digress. It's a shame, yes, but you seem to be taking it personally, as you've posted your lament in both threads.
    Comic Con may as well be another video game con, given the size of the fanbase. How many CGE goers DON'T love comics and geek culture in general?

I thought it was a guarantee that I'd go to CGE, but now I'm not so certain.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Last year SDCC had booths from Nintendo, Sony, Capcom, Konami, Square/Enix and a host of other smaller businesses. Trust me, I was surprised just how much of the show was NON comic related. The name today is really a bit of a misnomer, it's as much about entertainment in general (digital media, film, games, role-playing, animation, television etc) than just comics.

Oh and speaking to someone at the end of the last day who was helping run it last year, they estimated there had been more than 100,000 visitors. It just keeps getting bigger each year. Actually I'm a bit scared just how many might be there this year!

As said, I'm not sure what we're doing just yet, so you may see us in July, or you may not. It's a shame we have to choose...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in the same boat on the CGE/SDCC issue. I had been planning on attending both, but now I have to decide between the two. Not really a fun decision when you get right down to it. I really think that there are a ton of people that would have attended both, but given how difficult it is to secure a room for SDCC those people are most likely somewhat committed to going to SDCC due to booking a place to stay in the past few months (pretty much required from what I understand).

I wish there was a way to make this work, even moving CGE a week forward or back, but I doubt it's possible at this point.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    but given how difficult it is to secure a room for SDCC those people are most likely somewhat committed to going to SDCC due to booking a place to stay in the past few months (pretty much required from what I understand).
    If you're not planning on staying at one of the affiliate hotels, then yes. Almost all the hotels within decent walking distance will be opening up their books on Feb 6 at 9am PST so I've been told. It was online chaos last year (I think everything went in 80 minutes and that's every room in about 20 hotels) and it will be this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default :) :) :)

i am soooooo there! me and the NWCGE crew will be going for sure, can't wait!

hmmmm that comic con sounds interesting. might have to check it out some year. (not this year!) :P

Rick

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully I'll be able to make it. I'd like to have a sales booth with items from Japan.
    Thanks,
    Eric

info@japan-games.com
    eBay: Japan-Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...and sorry, none of those items would include Japanese women.
    Thanks,
    Eric

info@japan-games.com
    eBay: Japan-Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to the very first one when I lived in Henderson Nevada for a few years, it was definitly a good time.

I may have to hop in the car and zoom back in for this one [ Im near Monterey Ca ] Been looking for an excuse to go on a road trip anyway ... Now if I can figure out how to afford gas for my hot rod Im there
    You can have my Neo Turfmasters when you pry it from my cold dead lifeless hands !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bad Move

As others have noted, I will miss not going to CGE this year because I will be at SDCC. I really wish they had looked at the dates. I really think that it will affect the number of people going this year.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just wondering if/when are they going announce the hotel/discounts for the show.
    it's been close to a month.(the website site said in a week)

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli View Post
    just wondering if/when are they going announce the hotel/discounts for the show.
    it's been close to a month.(the website site said in a week)
    Wha? The announcement was on the 19th. That's only 8 days, probably fair enough to give them an extra couple of days to get all the details down.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Why not go to both?

Why not just do a stop-over in Vegas on the way home from Comic Con? Sunday always blows at Comic Con anyway, so you can still get the Thursday-Saturday Comic Con experience and then just spend the day at CGE on Sunday. Get creative people.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Two reasons: DP Party and the auction!