Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emulators for PSP (non-PSX thread)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Emulators for PSP (non-PSX thread)

All the excitement over the excellent PSX emulation of the PSP got me thinking about emulating other systems on the PSP. I'm getting ready to try PCEP for TG-16 emulation (anyone know if it works with CD images and how?) but I'm interested in more. Looks like there's quite a bit out there, though it seems like info in in Japanese a lot of the time.

So, what are you using? How's it working out?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have

Nintendo-NesterJ
    Super Nintendo-SNES9xTYL
    Gameboy-Homer's RIN
    Sega Master System-SMSPlus
    Sega Genesis-DGen

on mine and I love them all except master system runs ok. I am still on firmware 1.5 and haven't really been in the PSP scene lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I'm also interested in the progress of emulation on the PSP. Also, with a gig stick, can I fit the entire set of NES, Genesis, and TG16 roms with emulators on there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Just started running NesterJ and it's great. The PCEP, I'm a hair dissapointed with. The first game I tried, Blazing Lasers, glitched bad at the end of the first boss fight and became unplayable. Also, if you change that one to 4:3 ratio, it seems to gum up the works a bit.

@ boc, I think the complete TG16 set would fill half that gig by itself, so no. I had to pick and choose, but really do you need 56 crappy SMB graphic hacks? I'm pretty confident you could get the best of those three systems with emulators on a gig stick.
    Last edited by Captain Wrong; 01-21-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the TG-16 emu will play Turbo-CD games, but it's a real pain in the ass to get them working. It basically involves making a TOC file for each game...I did it once with Dracula X and got it working but I haven't gotten any others to work.

One homebrew that everybody should try is the SCUMM emulator. Has the same compatibility as the PC version (you can play Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, Day Of The Tentacle, etc). It runs full speed and supports the voice versions of the games too.
    Last edited by norkusa; 01-21-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    Just started running NesterJ and it's great. The PCEP, I'm a hair dissapointed with. The first game I tried, Blazing Lasers, glitched bad at the end of the first boss fight and became unplayable. Also, if you change that one to 4:3 ratio, it seems to gum up the works a bit.

@ boc, I think the complete TG16 set would fill half that gig by itself, so no. I had to pick and choose, but really do you need 56 crappy SMB graphic hacks? I'm pretty confident you could get the best of those three systems with emulators on a gig stick.
    I wish "best of" sets were available. Everytime I try and download a rom set it comes with a bunch of hacks that I want no part of.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How does the dgen run are there any issues? I was thinking of getting the sega gen comp but was curious to see if the dgen is any good.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I wish "best of" sets were available. Everytime I try and download a rom set it comes with a bunch of hacks that I want no part of.
    Yeah, I had to pick and chose my own. It's funny how back in the day it was such a thrill finding a site like EmuChina even though you had to download everything one file at a time and the site was hung up 75% of the time. Now, it's nearly impossible to get just a few files, all you get is complete sets which are filled with so much junk you don't really need. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing to have so much stuff so easily available, but damnit I really don't need "Super KKK Bros." or "Lesbian Tennis". Does anyone actually think crappy graphic hacks like that are actually funny?

/rant

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there somewhere that has a guide that explains how to set up emulators on the PSP? I just upgraded my PSP to the latest 3.03 OE hacked firmware, but I don't know waht I'm supposed to do next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I'm new to the scene, but I think I can help you out. It's pretty dang easy.

If you have Dark_Alex's 3.03 FW installed, make a folder on your memory card like so:

/PSP/GAME150

Then drop your emulators in there. Each of their EBOOTs should be in their own folder. You can put the ROMS wherever, but I usually put a ROMS folder in the folder with the emulator's eboot.

That's pretty much it.

The GAMES150 folder may not be necessary. I've heard some people say they don't need it. What it does it tell the FW that these are programs to run under the infamous FW 1.50 kernel. AFAIK all of the emulators except the PSX one run under this.

I'm sure if I got it wrong, someone will correct me, but this is what's working for me. It's really simple, flashing the right FW is the hardest part.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just slightly dissapointed that there isn't Sega CD emulation on the PSP yet. You would think if it could do TG-16 CD and Neo-Geo CD that it would be able to do Sega CD, but I guess not. I know alot of people were interested in N64 emulation, but I think expecting that to work is a bit much. However, I would think that Sega CD would actually be doable. Maybe 32X as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Does anyone else have problems getting working (tested on computer) roms to work on the PSP? I'm specifically referring to Bad News Baseball for the NES. Is there something inherent in some NES roms that make them not work on the PSP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    If you have Dark_Alex's 3.03 FW installed, make a folder on your memory card like so:

/PSP/GAME150
    Just fyi as well. If you are using 3.03 OE-C, it will now create all the folders for you when you format a card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Also...holleeeeyyyy shit. The cps2PSP and MVS2PSP emulators are AWESOME! Those alone justified my PSP purchaes, if nothing else does.

Portable Sam Sho and Progear??? Sign me up!

(Here's hoping someone emulates the Cave driver! If I could play all the Cave shmups...I'd plotz!)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    How does the dgen run are there any issues? I was thinking of getting the sega gen comp but was curious to see if the dgen is any good.
    Dgen runs really well - as does Nester-J. I've found the SNES emularot lacking - it needs to be optomised t as it has some nasty slowdown problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey View Post
    Dgen runs really well - as does Nester-J. I've found the SNES emularot lacking - it needs to be optomised t as it has some nasty slowdown problems.
    The latest SNES emulator runs 100% full speed. In fact, it works almost TOO good (you gotta tune it down because most games run too fast). Just tweak the settings a bit and it'll run fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    The latest SNES emulator runs 100% full speed. In fact, it works almost TOO good (you gotta tune it down because most games run too fast). Just tweak the settings a bit and it'll run fine.
    Really? I think I'm running the latest one.. (SNESPSP_TYL Standard Version v0.4.2?) But Mario Kart is still slow. I know I tried changing a couple of things.. cpu clock speed to 333, sound options, etc. It seems ok at first but once you start racing it lags to crap.

Just wondering...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NE1, are you using the 0.4 'ME' version of snes9xTYL? If not, download that and adjust the settings like this:

Video:
    PSP accel. + accur. soft.
    speed limit switch: no
    speed limit fps: 90 fps
    Vsync = no

Sound:
    output frequency: 33075

Misc:
    Hack Debug menu: Fast Sprites = ON

And if that isn't fast enough for you, something is definitely wrong with your PSP. Chances are those settings will be too fast for you though. To slow it down, switch the Speed Limit FPS to 'off' and turn Frameskip to 'Auto'.

I just tried playing Super Mario Kart with those settings, and it seems to run fine but after a lap or two it gets real glitchy. I think Mario Kart is just one of those games that doesn't work well with this emulator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No.. I'm not using the ME version.. I'm using the version I pasted above. I'll try the ME one next!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know..it's werid playing a NES, SNES Emu on the PSP, Playing a PS1, Genesis and Master System no problem..But any Nintendo Emu on the PSP that's really werid