Thread: Quake 4 expansion... set in original quake world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Quake 4 expansion... set in original quake world.

ok, quake 4 has been out for some time and raven is working on the next big ID game, " a new castle wolfenstien" lets face it. doom3 engine in quake 4 is looking almost as good as the ever so popular new Unreal engine.

now I must say, Raven did a really awsome job on the quake 4 design/character design and keeping true to a follow up to quake 2 with some new elements, ie; squad based missions.

but an expansion unsing the doom 3 engine set in the oringinal quake universe would be cool. what do you guys think? modern quake has lost that classic quake feeling. ...hmm maybe Quake 5 will return to the Gothic look and feel of the best quake ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quake 4 felt much more like Doom 3 than anything, if they can shake that than it could be a great game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

agreed. Quake 4 felt too much like Doom 3. I would love to see it return to the Quake 1 style, that was my favorite quake of them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I agree also. Quake 1 had an awesome theme to it, then they kinda took it into outer space. I am not really into FPSs that are set in space or any form of historical war. I want to blast away at satanic demons that spit blood in your eyes and throw severed heads at you. I want to walk into a church of evil with upsidedown crosses and pentegrams on the walls while watching brain chunks go flying out of a possesed serial killer. What happened to the really good themes. Outer space/aliens/war of different species gets old after a while. They should just merge the first doom and the first quake and make it something a little different for the next gen systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thread title got me all excited because I thought it was a fact and not just an idea.
    Oh well, it's an idea I agree with at least.
    I still play the first quake frequently, and as much as I like the enhanced versions that have cropped up over the years, nothing could beat a professionally developed Quake 1 remake/sequel.

It's funny, but now that I'm spoiled by Gears of War, even the best FPS seems like just a prettier rehash of Quake minus the awesome, demonic theme.
    At this point, I think that a true sequel to Quake is the only thing that could get me excited for a FPS these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry if I over excited you with my choice of suject wording lol
    sure, it's a great idea but.... unlikly. ..maybe we can start a petition over at quakecon.org. hehe. well we do have wolfenstien coming. I love castle wolfenstein!! almost as much as quake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

form what I've read about the next wolfenstien, it will use a completly new engine ( Id's answer to the unreal engine) if it's created by ID in house, then it should make unreal 3 engine look dated. the fact is, id knows that quake is a money maker but qouake 4 didn't sell that well I think. but since quake 4 and quake wars are centered around the strogg world and the series is due for a fresh new feel, it's only natural for the next full quake game to be set in the gothic demonic world of the first quake.
    my prediction is: quake 5 revisits the original quake world using the new wolfenstien engine

don't lose hope fraggers, I heard that Id(not raven) is working on a secret in-house project for 360 and ps3. ...sounds promising. I'm looking forward to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The thread title got me all excited because I thought it was a fact and not just an idea.
    I hate false advertising

Oh well, iD did recently rerelease Quake 1-3 in a set (I might check that out sometime). I'd like to see a return to the original Quake.