Thread: want to really start selling games

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default want to really start selling games

I was just wondering....say I were to get laid off or fired from my job. How much work do you think would be required to make around $400-$500 a week selling videogames on e-bay. I know that it would require me buying lots and splitting them up. I'd also have to do a little bit of searching and traveling. Does anybody here make around that amount selling on ebay or to friends? All I know is that I have to buy low sell hi. Does anybody here do this and make close to this amount? or will it be easier just to find another 9-5 job, which I'd rather not do and start working for myself somehow. I want to make money off of videogames because its something I love. I was thinking of eventually working my way up to having my own store. Any info or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it isn't hard to make 400 a week on Ebay.. I don't sell all the time, but when I'm in the mood for money, I get together a few items to sell.. Mostly SNES and NES games, a few SNES systems because they sell for money.. I normally get 55 to 60 per SNES system and I normally only pay 10 to 20 for it.
    As long as you can continue to find good deals on video games and accessories making the money on EBay is easy. The hard part is keeping stocked up on merchandise. Finding good thrift stores, flea markets, and video game stores is a must...

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by PSerge View Post
    Well, it isn't hard to make 400 a week on Ebay.. I don't sell all the time, but when I'm in the mood for money, I get together a few items to sell.. Mostly SNES and NES games, a few SNES systems because they sell for money.. I normally get 55 to 60 per SNES system and I normally only pay 10 to 20 for it.
    As long as you can continue to find good deals on video games and accessories making the money on EBay is easy. The hard part is keeping stocked up on merchandise. Finding good thrift stores, flea markets, and video game stores is a must...

Ditto to what PSerge wrote...

I sell all the time though,.......

Strawberry (Level 2) xtremegamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XHEAT99

Make friends with the locals at Pawn Shops, if they know you, they may hold things for you if you go in regularly. Most times the guys in the local pawn shops will let me take first look at any Xbox games they get in since I buy them all the time, or just give me a great price since I buy so much. They are still making money off you, heck, I've watched them pay .25 a piece for 20+ NES games just for me to pick out the ones I want for $3.00 a piece. so if you let them know what you are looking for they might hold it for you, just don't let them know why your looking for it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Well, first off, don't sell any to this guy.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

so if I were to try and get paid full time for it, would you guys say stocking up on 3 weeks worth of games would cover my ass on keeping up with my stock? What is the minimum profit margain per game you guys try to get to decide whether or not its worth selling? should I try to go $5+ profit per game to keep my head above water? or would should i be looking for a larger profit per game?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every little bit of profit adds up, but you have to take into consideration:

Cost of bubble mailers, boxes, packing material

Postage

Ebay/PayPal fees

You need to find distributors/liquidators. Get a reseller's permit. Go to flea markets.

I know some naysayers do not like it, but I charge $5 to mail any boxed game, CD or DVD because I have to include the handling charges of the packaging materials with delivery confirmation and the time it takes to do all of this. People complain when it's a single person doing it, but it cuts into your margins (just be clear on what you charge on eBay for shipping so buyers can see it)

It's easy to sell $400 in items a week, now $400 in PROFIT is a bit trickier. IF you are located in NY, SF, or LA, it is easier to acquire a constant supply of goods. If not, you need contacts, and hopefully a good distributor base and source.
    Last edited by DreamTR; 01-23-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Constant supply of games is essential. For awhile, I was selling about $300 a week on ebay because there was a seemingly endless flow of games to my pawn shop, all for $1. Once your supplier dries up, you're going to have to expand, and all that time searching can make your sales not worth it time-wise.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, if you are selling on Ebay, you'll have to deal with the occasional game selling for all of 1 cent (depending on the starting price). That can be discouraging if you are looking to make a living doing this but plenty of people do.

One of the most important things about stuff like bubble mailers, wrap, boxes and other packing materials is where you buy them. You may want to buy this stuff in bulk and shop around. If you pick up mailing supplies at the first place you can find that has them, you may pay a little bit more for this stuff. I'll let some other people recommend good places to buy mailing supplies. If you are selling stuff that requires a box, you might consider asking a supermarket or grocery store for some of their free boxes. Some people, such as myself, will occasionally recycle a box from a previous purchase.

Keeping your customers happy and maintaining a good feedback rating is pretty important, too. Every high profile Ebay auction (video game related) is being watched and talked about by people at forums just like this one, so you need to be on the ball with things (like your customer service and your listings, item descriptions, etc.)
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-27-2007 at 09:30 PM.