Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have ALL flea marketers started smoking crack or just mine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GameDeals.ca View Post
    Our local flea market has always been a place where retro games sold for decent prices (at least in the last 3 years). I used to be one of them, asking $10-$15 for common NES titles, etc. etc. because the market would bear it.
    $10-$15 each for common NES games?? I hope this was years ago when the NES was still in stores.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing is, the people with these ridiculous prices, if they are so ridiculous, then nobody is going to buy them, and they are going to end up stuck with them, and eventually they will have to deal with reality and lower their price. So, eventually everything will even itself out. But it can take a long time and be very frustrating in the meanwhile.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stuff has been pretty rough lately, lots of prices have gone up. I don't usually go to fleas because of prices and time contraints but I still find stuff at thrifts. Salvation Army has been cleaning up their stores lately and I have been finding more games now and I hope it keeps up.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not just the prices going up, the number of "collectors" seems to be soaring too. I remember when there was only really a handful of people aggressively collecting NES titles. Now it's common. Drove the price up. Plus the younger generations seem to be in on this too so it's not all nostalgia driven by old guys like me wanting their old toys back. So the competition is stores is epically larger than it was in years past.

Oh well, just like every other collectible field it'll build itself a nice bubble, then burst in horrible ways. Then the original collectors can reap the benefits of huge collections/stockpiles being flooded to the market at once. Patience is a virtue. I'll wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm reading these entries and I don't run into these problems. I have a cycle of thrift stores and flea markets I hit and I find NES games for under 5, I find systems for 10-15 bucks. Heck I even told the guy I fix them and he dropped the price on me.
    Sure I know exactly where the crack smokin high dollar areas are, I avoid them like the plague. But man oh man is it ever so great to find a gem in the wild at a great price.
    Ebay? They drive themselves. Christmas shoppers paid for my Wii. I have a philosophy to buy what I want and sell to break even from flea market runs. The extra dough was nice when I missed some work.
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

There is one guy at my dirt mall, he's there every weekend, with the same selection of games, asking $10 for NES titles, even more for 16-bit stuff, and $20 for a brick Gameboy that's missing the screen overlay and oh so cleverly has duct tape wrapped around where the battery compartment would be, and refuses to negotiate the price. But what really blows my mind, is that he never sells anything (he literally has the SAME stuff every time), yet the dirt mall charges eight bucks a pop to rent a table for the day. So basically this guy is forking over $16 a week to sit on his ass and not sell anything.

Really no point to this ranting, it just baffles me.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29