Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Wii News Channel

  1. #1
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Wii News Channel

    I didn't see this posted, but if it was then please lock.
    I woke up to the Wii glowing blue and found the News Channel was available. One day early I guess. It is very cool. Check it out.

  2. #2
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    159
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I too woke up to my glowing Wii and after the update I was more or less unimpressed. The first thing that I noticed was the odd choice of green menu's that lacked a sense of style the rest of the Wii possessed. There was no music, but I could see how some could argue that it's a good thing, I don't mind a little background music when reading, and so far I've been impressed with Nintendo's music selections. It can't be all bad though... I did like the stories and how they were presented, very easy to read and scroll through. Plus the stories on the globe were quite cool even if they served little purpose. In the end, I just don't, and never did, see myself booting up my Wii (or even venturing into the channel) to check the day's news.


    Oh but on Nintendo's credit, I guess it should be mentioned that this might be the first time they have ever released a product or service before the original release date. GO NINTENDO!!

  3. #3
    Crono (Level 14)
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,220
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Now we can finally know whats going on in the world! lol.

    Serious tho, its a nice feature

    EDIT: Fixed big typo hehe.
    Last edited by jajaja; 01-26-2007 at 03:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Cherry (Level 1) -^CrožBow^-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ivory Tower, Fantasia
    Posts
    294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I also found it amusing that the news channel was initially coming up in black/white with a grainy look...I guess to simulate newsprint?

    But once it loads it has an interface that seems to combine the photo channel interface with that of the weather globe. I was enjoying being able to just scroll around the globe and select news by cities that came up.

    I read in other post on another forum that the lack of a main front page of hottest headlines should be come up first and I do agree with that.

  5. #5
    Kirby (Level 13) diskoboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nash-vegas, TN.
    Posts
    5,212
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

    Default

    I find it funny that news about the woman who died trying to hold her pee and died, is under the national news section.

    You think with Nintendo facing a wrongful death suit, they'd wanna leave that article off the service....

    And I just realized, it doesn't happen to mention the Wii by name, anywhere in the article. It just says 'The mother of 3 died 1/12/07 just hours after drinking as much as two gallons of water in the contest to win a video game console'.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 01-26-2007 at 03:28 PM.

  6. #6
    Pear (Level 6) agbulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago
    Posts
    1,255
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I find it funny that news about the woman who died trying to hold her pee and died, is under the national news section.

    You think with Nintendo facing a wrongful death suit, they'd wanna leave that article off the service....
    Nintendo has made absolutely NO attempt (thank God) to censor stories they don't like. The service is hosted by Nintendo, but RUN by the AP. It makes perfect sense why its on there. Nintendo is smart. Can you imagine the amount of bad PR they would get if they only posted what they thought was news? I can see the headlines now...

    Wii News Presented By Nintendo
    Global: Battalion Wars II Released to Combat Terrorism
    Sports: Wii Sports a Grand Slam with Public!
    Entertainment: Brain Age attracts Adults to Videogames
    Gossip: Sony and Microsoft Suck---Proof Inside!
    US: Fire Emblem SNES Finally Considered for American VC Release

    Get my point? If its going to be actual news then Nintendo must ensure they have NOTHING to do with it.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

    Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

  7. #7
    Kirby (Level 13) diskoboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nash-vegas, TN.
    Posts
    5,212
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

    Default

    Oh - there is is....

    They did mention the Wii. It's halfway towards the end of the article.

  8. #8
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    Nintendo has made absolutely NO attempt (thank God) to censor stories they don't like. The service is hosted by Nintendo, but RUN by the AP. It makes perfect sense why its on there. Nintendo is smart. Can you imagine the amount of bad PR they would get if they only posted what they thought was news? I can see the headlines now...

    Wii News Presented By Nintendo
    Global: Battalion Wars II Released to Combat Terrorism
    Sports: Wii Sports a Grand Slam with Public!
    Entertainment: Brain Age attracts Adults to Videogames
    Gossip: Sony and Microsoft Suck---Proof Inside!
    US: Fire Emblem SNES Finally Considered for American VC Release

    Get my point? If its going to be actual news then Nintendo must ensure they have NOTHING to do with it.
    I completely agree. When I first checked the news, the top story under entertainment was about the PS3. That's a good thing.

  9. #9
    Pear (Level 6) agbulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago
    Posts
    1,255
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Oh - there is is....

    They did mention the Wii. It's halfway towards the end of the article.
    Well, then the AP put it there. Considering your already on the Wii and looking at the Wii News Channel while hooked up to Nintendo's online service I highly doubt Nintendo would bother adversiting subliminally towards you. You've already bought what they're selling
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

    Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

  10. #10
    Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    4,739
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    It's a pretty nifty litle feature. Nothing amazing though. I do kind of enjoy reading about the latest attempted rapes and murders on my happy wii.

  11. #11
    Great Puma (Level 12) c0ldb33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,980
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I quite like the News Channel. I think it's neat that it exists, although I'm not sure how often I'll be using it.

    Is there a way to turn off the globe image on the right side of the screen. I find it wastes a lot of valuable real estate on my non-widescreen TV

  12. #12
    Cherry (Level 1) alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    208
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I finally got to checking it out today. For some reason, my Wii doesn't always connect to the internet, so this was the first time the news channel worked. I think its cool. Its kinda like a digital Nintendo newspaper. I think the news channel globe is more visually entertaining then "Molester Caught!" headlines.

  13. #13
    Peach (Level 3) tonyvortex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    nw indiana
    Posts
    632
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    I finally got to checking it out today. For some reason, my Wii doesn't always connect to the internet, so this was the first time the news channel worked. I think its cool. Its kinda like a digital Nintendo newspaper. I think the news channel globe is more visually entertaining then "Molester Caught!" headlines.
    i was starting to think i was the only one having problems.whats weird is sometimes i can access one online thing but nothing else.like i can go to the weather but not the VC or the news and so on.i find it really frustrating.

Similar Threads

  1. Good News: Bought a DS, Bad News: Dead Pixel
    By vespertillio in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
  2. Good news / Bad news .. 360 :)
    By Arkaign in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 07:21 PM
  3. Good News / Bad News
    By MarkM2112 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2002, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •