Thread: Battletoads

Insert Coin (Level 0) Side_Scroll'R's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Battletoads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I have got to get something out of my system. I think Battletoads is the greatest nintendo game if not the greatest side scrolling game of all time. (this is just my opinion, im not looking for people to reply with hateful words or anything lol). The reason i think so highly of this game is because it has more than just your average 2d side scrolling games. I had played this game since i was about 5 years old and it is still fun to me. So by now... i kinda have the game memorized. I have always loved this game, but the other day i says to myself, i says "What is it about this game that makes me love it so much?" So i decided to play the game as a reviewer would play and not just a gamer. So here it goes, this is my first review... and i figure what better place to do it than in a forum so that i can get peoples opinion on if i should review more games... or just quit while im ahead. ok enough with the bull shit lets get started.

The first thing i noticed about this game was the music. Now in my opinion, in games the most important thing is gameplay and the second most important thing is music. Picture playing... oh i dont know... Sonic or Mario without music, it might still be a good game but without the music it just has sort of a boring feeling to it. The music at the title screen has a sort of rock tone to it if you will and several times i have waited 10 or 15 minutes before i played the game just so i could listen to that rockin tune. To me, that music was a indication that the game was going to kick ass right from the start. The best part is every stage has a different and unique song, unlike games like Friday the 13th and Back to the Future which only had one song just looped over and over throughout the entire game.
    The next thing i noticed about it was the story line. It has the classic good vs. evil story line and the best part about the story line is its sweet and simple. I think every game should have a story line to it, but some games take it way too far like Final Fantasy which has more story line than gameplay, but dont get me wrong i love the Final Fantasy game... its just that everytime i play one, I feel like im reading a book rather than playing a video game.
    Anyway, back to Battletoads. The gameplay is wonderful in my opinion. The controls might be a little hard for a casual gamer to understand his first time playing, for instance: If you have played Mario your whole life you are used to holding down the B button to make your character run faster, rather than in this game you must push the d-pad in the direction you are going in two times very fast, but once you get it down its like riding a bike. As for the beat'em up type of game this is is wonderful. Now, ive heard people compare this game to other beat'em up games such as Double Dragon, River City Ranson and Streets of Rage... which were all great games, but they were kind of slow for my taste. The fighting in Battletoads is fast pace and pretty brutal for a NES game. Infact, the whole game is fast pace. This game was the only fast pace game i had ever played up until Sonic on the SEGA Genesis. That might be hard to believe since several times in the game you have to stop at one screen and fight a few bad guys before you cant continue, but if you know what your doing and you hit your warps, then you will never have to stop moving through the entire game.
    This game has been considered "evil" to the casual gamer (unlike myself) because of its difficulty. Now i love a game with a challenge and if you do too then this is the game for you, because it is anything but easy unless you have the entire game memorized and even then it is still tough.
    To play this game you will need patience, skill and you have to be a quick thinker. Example: at the very begining of the game were you are dropped off by the vulture, there is a warp that will take you to level 3, although you have to kill 2 baddiesbefore you can get to the warp and it disappers in about 5 seconds... and it takes about 2 seconds just to get your toad dropped off onto the stage. So you have about 3 seconds to kill 2 bad guys and get to the warp before it disappers. Im not going to tell how to do this because some people who play this game might not know how... and it wouldnt be fun if someone just told you, so figure it out. All and all, this game is a winner in my book. It is challenging as well a fun and will definatly go down as one of the best games in history. Thank you for listening.

For those of you who are interested in Battletoads then you might be interested in these couple things. I have been waiting for a new Battletoads game for years... but i will admit, I am very afraid that if they ever do make a new Battletoads game that they will screw it up. If you are a fan of Battletoads and have been wishing for a new one as well, then i have a gift for you. If you have a dreamcast then you can play a homebrew'd Battletoads game (its kinda like having a new one). I am very impressed with the making of this game, for a homebrew game it is extremely close to the real thing. It has 5 different story modes (which are kind of cheezy, but still fun) which include fighting enemys from rocky movies such as Clubber Lang and Drago, and even a mode were you kill hords of zombies. Not to worry, there is still 2 game modes were you fight classic Battletoads baddies and bosses, so no worries. Not only does this Battletoads mod feature character select from all 3 toads, but they have also teamed up with Sketch, thats right, Sketch from Comix Zone (which was a great game). Burning this mod onto a disc is very simple to do, just follow the instructions on the website. WARNING: THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON CD-R's!!! Dont be like me and waist 2 days of your life trying to get it to work when the only problem was i was using cd-rw's (which they dont tell very often on the website). Anyway, here is your link-> http://dcevolution.net/game_battletoads.php

Thank you for reading (>^.^)>
    Last edited by Side_Scroll'R; 04-03-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree: I always thought that Battletoads was one of those games that never settled on one style of play for long. There are a few good beat-em-up stages, but the pit/snake/bike stages frustrated me to no end. I like challenging games (DoDonPachi and other Cave games) but I would prefer if the challenge was in the fighting, not in hitting walls with your hover bike or falling of a giant snake.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battletoads/Double Dragon
    That's a great game. If you can find it, get it.
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Battletoads/Double Dragon is better than Battletoads, especially for the music. Nothing could possibly beat the level one music!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well the fighting does get more challenging as you progress, but i do have to agree with you, the hover bike part was the most frustrating thing to me for the longest time, but once you get it down its really simple. and as for battletoads double dragon, that was a great game as well and i think its safe to say it was alot easier lol. the only battletoads game that i didnt care that much for is battlemaniacs.

- Side_Scroll'R -

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Both Battletoads and Battlemaniacs have one stage that I simply hate. The stupid stage where you have to keep pressing the pad towards a direction to outrun something. In the first, it was an orb. In the second, a rat.

I HATE THOSE STAGES. I can deal with everything except those two.

By the way, the sled stages are pretty damn easy.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Side_Scroll'R View Post
    One more thing, as you can tell I like to write and i have recentaly started a new book called... yes thats right... Battletoads. The story is about what happened to the Battletoads before the first game. If you like to read and are interested then send me a message and I can let you read some.
    You are aware that Nintendo Power already covered this in one of their issues... right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive read alot of stuff on the back story... several different tales but its just for fun lol.

- Side_Scroll'R -

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

while the beat 'em up sections of Combat Frogs were decent enough, i think the inclusion of the hoverbike and aforementioned button mashing parts ruined the overall game in the eyes of many gamers. i would however, take interest in perhaps a next-gen remake of War Amphibians should Rare aquire its talent back. perhaps a Brawling Rana fan like yourself should take a gander at my beat 'em up cult?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will comment on you reviewing skills.

First and most importantly you need to proofread. You used the "fasp paise" at least 3 times and it should be fast paced. Second, you need to use paragraphs to divide up each point of the game, like a paragraph about the music, another for the gameplay, another for the graphics, wich you didn't mention at all by the way. Just some hopefully helpful criticism for you.

As for the game, I remember this game getting great reviews when it came out. I only played a little of it as I didn't own it at the time. I will probably pick it up sometime in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grammatically speaking...
    So some luv brutha! This ain't english class! We get the jest of the review!

I got my Battletoads/Double Dragon again last night, great game, came out 2 years after the snes did, so the writers made sure the game could compete with a SNES title.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcescott View Post
    Grammatically speaking...
    So some luv brutha! This ain't english class! We get the jest of the review!

I got my Battletoads/Double Dragon again last night, great game, came out 2 years after the snes did, so the writers made sure the game could compete with a SNES title.
    ".. and i figure what better place to do it than in a forum so that i can get peoples opinion on if i should review more games..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it was the way you worded the constructiveness. No flames here, promise.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Why not just review the Battletoads games for this web site and go from there? I only played Battletoads and Battletoads/Double Dragon on NES. They were pretty cool games but it was very hard to make progress so I gave up after awhile. I made it through the Ninja Gaiden games on NES, so I'd say I'm a decent gamer, but could never make headway in Battletoads.