Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Games You Love, Most Others Hate

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games You Love, Most Others Hate

No matter how bad a game is SOMEONE out there likes it.
    And that someone is each and everyone of us.
    We all dig games that no one else can seem to go for.

Share some here

Myself;

F-16 Fighter (sega master system)
    I admit that it's a tad slow ('tad' being an understatement), and that it does have other flaws too. BUT it IS a fun game to me. I play it very often. And it has this strange quirk where sometimes you slip in the card, start playing and your downing jets like you're playing After Burner. Some other times you play it and you can't down one stinkin jet.
    This COULD have been a DANDY game if they had just released it on a CART instead of a CARD. A flight simulator of all things should NOT be crammed into 32k when they had 128k and 256k carts. I'm not sure if the 512k carts were around when F-16 was released...

Shadow Of The Beast II (sega genesis)
    Once again, admit it's one main flaw, no way to save despite such easy ways to die. But games like these are my bread & butter. I always used to question games like Mario with stuff like; why couldn't that castle have been locked and mario would have to backtrack thru the level and kill the koopa with the key. Just simple 'puzzles' that always seem to infect even normal everyday stuff we do in life.
    Plus it's dark dismal graphics and gameplay. Gotta love that (seriously).

Sword Quest: EarthWorld/FireWorld (Atari 2600)
    Well... this game kinda shouldn't be here. I always DID like it, cause once again it was a puzzle game. I loved running around rooms picking up items, leaving items, learning what items helped you out here and there, trying to mimic the comic book. But then one day I learned that EW and FW had NO rhyme or reason to how they were beaten. there was NO way "knowing" what to put where. and I realized that tho I had fun back in the day playing it, I hadn't a snowballs chance in hell of actually winning it. whereas WaterWorld actually gave clues and you COULD figure it out with ingenuity, and I did (emulated anyway)... heh, the only SQ title that was playable was barely released... c'est la vie.

Alex Kidd

More to come as I think of 'em
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout (NES) - I love it. I just do, that's it! And if you don't agree ... poo to you

dave

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SHADOWMAN for the Dreamcast!
    ________
    Russian cooking
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unreal Tournament (PS2)
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Amidar (VCS)

Slated by DP, I really love this game. It plays very slow, but after a while you get used to it and compensate. Wonderful humour, that's what I love in games, and Amidar has this (A Paintbrush chased by pigs?). Excellent game for me, I still play this nowadays.

Street Fighter: The Movie (Saturn/PSX)

I played this game to the end, only to see Cammy's ending message, but I am a Kylie Minogue fan, so you all have to forgive me!!!

Portal (C-64)

A game where you cannot die, I actually 'read' this all the way through. Masterpiece.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Street Fighter: The Movie (Saturn/PSX)
    I always wanted to play this game. SF2 and MK were like Pepsi & Coke and Sega & Nintendo back in the day, and here SF: The Movie was basically the hybrid of the two.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorcerer by Mythicon for the Atari 2600. I have *no* idea why I love this repetitive, ugly game. My iwfe assumes that I'm hypnotized by the repeating trilling little theme.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sewer Shark

(Chad ducks and dodges flying sega cd cases)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

South Park. I just like the fact that you can pee on snowballs and throw them.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ehrgeiz (PSX): A lot of people trash this, especially when comparing it to Tobal 1 and 2, but I really enjoy it. Maybe it's the free-roaming fights or the way the fighting engine lets you play it either fast and loose or slow and complicated. Or maybe it's just the guest stars from Final Fantasy VII.

Illusion of Gaia (SNES): Though many see Gaia as weaker than Actraiser and SoulBlazer, I almost think it's better. The haunting atmosphere is a great switch from medieval-themed action/RPGs, and the game's emphasis on combat keeps things interesting.

BloodStorm (Arcade): I have no idea why I enjoy this one, and it's really as violent and repulsive as everyone claims. I guess I just like finding the hidden characters. Ratchet still eludes me.

Edit:
    One . . . er, two more . . .

Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (NES): Yeah, it's the worst of the series, but it's still an amazing, wonderfully difficult action/platformer.

WURM: Journey to the Center of the Earth (NES): The DP Guide describes it as "one of the greatest disappointments on the NES" (or something like that), yet I can't help but love the story, which recalls goofy 1950s sci-fi pulp, and the multiple modes of play.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Starcraft 64--I bought this before I had a PC. When I got a PC I use to visit the usenet Starcraft groups for strategy. I don't think I ever seen one positive comment about the N64 version on there. I think its one of the best and most ambitious games on the system. Its a great deal, you get all the Broodwar missions extra on the Cart. I've still never played the PC version of SC, but the N64 Must be fairly faithfull because all the strategies that I picked up from discussions on the PC version all worked on my N64 version.

California Speed(N64)--I'm done with the game now, but for the 2 weeks that I played it I had a blast. This game gets dissed for being boring, and it does get boring once you've accomplished everything, but while your working on finishing all the races and series' its a good racing game. Nice Arcade feel to it.

Human Cannonball 2600--Its amazing how much fun you can have with a game when its one of 3 games you own, and your a little kid.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little note aout F-16 on the SMS, this game was actually programmed for one of Sega's earlier Japanese consoles, Sega just re-released it for the Master System, which explains the crapiness of the graphics.

Anyway, I've seen lots of Horrible reviews for Sky Kid, (mostly by hardcore shooter fans) But i think it's great. Sure, it's no match for say R-Type as a shooter, but it's not really meant to be a SHMUP, it's just a wacky fun game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sssnake (Atari 2600)

Sinistar from William's Arcade Classics (Game.com)

Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu (NES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Granstream Saga (PSX): God I loved that game! Bought it, sat down, played it through in like 2 days, and had a blast! I don't know why people are down on it.

Shadowman for DC or N64: Better than the PC one cause of better controls. Stupid PC one doesn't have customizable controls, the fools! I like it though, cause I'm big on the comic.

Shufflepuck Cafe (Aminga): Damn that game...simple but SOOOOOOO addictive! Wish it had come out for a console..I miss it.

Blue Stinger (DC): I like it. No one else does, but I do damn it!

Carrier (DC): Same as Blue Stinger

Illbleed (DC): Also same as Blue Stinger

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Destructor (Colecovision): I don't know why everyone hates this game. It was so freaky and I thought decent use of the driving controller. I hated Turbo and all the straight-up racing games, so this was neat, scary twist IMHO.

Super Mario Bros 2(NES): Recently covered in the Game of the Day...

One Piece Mansion (PSX): I loved this game.. the cute animations, the simple gameplay yet addictiveness too. I thought it was very old school. The only problem was that it was a little too easy from the start. After playing it forever, the difficulty finally ramped up. But, a great find from Capcom. It got killed by the critics though...

And others which I can't recall right now.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saga Frontier. I have no idea why. It's a terrible game, but I've played it many many times and I love it anyway.

COme to think of it, I'm also quite fond of Illusion of Gaia and Granstream Saga, even though the latter frightened me a little with its SCARY FACELESS PEOPLE OF DEATH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Night Trap - 3DO/Sega CD

Don't ask...I just like it. About two years ago, I needed to seel off my collection of games and systems because I needed the cash. The only things that I kept where my N64 memory card, and Night Trap for the Sega CD.

Again, don't ask...
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF8 (psx) - i like the character development
    Michief Makers (n64) - I thought it was awesome and very innovative.
    Zombie Revenge (dc) - ....er, leave me alone
    Power Stone (dc) - sorry, but it's MUCH better than power stone 2

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the following games.

Hydlide (NES)
    Drakkhen (SNES)
    Double Switch (Sega CD, Saturn)
    Amagon (NES)
    Kasumi Ninja (Jaguar)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutely LOVED Banjo Kazooie. And yes I know a lot of people do, but there are just as many who don't care for or outright trash the game.. unbelievable :P

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Amidar (VCS)
    Slated by DP, I really love this game. It plays very slow, but after a while you get used to it and compensate. Wonderful humour, that's what I love in games, and Amidar has this (A Paintbrush chased by pigs?). Excellent game for me, I still play this nowadays.
    Interesting.. Well, count me in as a naysayer. All that humor was present in the original arcade game of course, but the thing that killed it (as you mentioned) is definitely the slowness. I'll give it another shot though based on your endorsement