Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punch-Out to return on the Wii?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would give a freakin kidney for this game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) playgeneration's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A new punchout game that you play with a wiimote in each hand could be awesome. If they get the controls right, accurate enough to sense how you punch, then it could be the best boxing game ever!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by playgeneration View Post
    A new punchout game that you play with a wiimote in each hand could be awesome. If they get the controls right, accurate enough to sense how you punch, then it could be the best boxing game ever!
    See, that's the issue. Playing Wii Sports boxing is a headache because the aiming is pretty wonky. The training session where you have to aim your punches to hit the trainer's pads is impossible. Most of the time, the game seems to give me the points out of pity, because my punches just barely nick the side of the pads. Sometimes the on-screen character even swings the left arm when I swing the right, or vice versa. The aiming and control scheme need some work.

I know it's easy to say that the wii was "made" to play a game like that, but we've already got one, and the reality is rather disappointing. And I'm not the only one who thinks this. All my friends who have Wii's attest that Wii boxing sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I know it's easy to say that the wii was "made" to play a game like that, but we've already got one, and the reality is rather disappointing. And I'm not the only one who thinks this. All my friends who have Wii's attest that Wii boxing sucks.
    Wii Boxing is another button masher. Except instead of pushing buttons, you're waving your arms with no strategy. It's like smashing the kick button when you play as Chun Li or Honda. That's why non-gamers like it, and why I don't play it. It might be possible to create the traditional Punch-Out gameplay using this method, but the current crop of Wii titles don't show this type of accuracy. If it's possible to create "hit" zones ---top left, top right, head, bottom left, bottom right and for them to be accurate then we're talking.

Otherwise, it would turn out JUST like Wii Boxing. And I know that isn't what we want.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    Wii Boxing is another button masher. Except instead of pushing buttons, you're waving your arms with no strategy. It's like smashing the kick button when you play as Chun Li or Honda. That's why non-gamers like it, and why I don't play it. It might be possible to create the traditional Punch-Out gameplay using this method, but the current crop of Wii titles don't show this type of accuracy. If it's possible to create "hit" zones ---top left, top right, head, bottom left, bottom right and for them to be accurate then we're talking.

Otherwise, it would turn out JUST like Wii Boxing. And I know that isn't what we want.

Exactly. You know, I was thinking about it today, and I think the problem with Wii boxing is that when you swing, the game essentially ignores input from you while it displays the punch animation. That's what screws everything up. Maybe they should just track the speed and position of your hands and if you make contact in a certain zone at a certain velocity, a hit is scored. Bothering with a punch animation makes it a button masher, just as you said.

For those that haven't played Wii boxing, that description may not have made a lot of sense--sorry, it's just one of those things. Have to see it to understand.