The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    so much for this "Second Symphony" eh? told you it was the article title :P
    ...he he
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I already posted my rather pessimistic views on this on another forum, which I don't really want to get into here since some of the diehard PSP and/or IGA fans might blow a gasket, but I'll summarize by saying that the remake looks lame, I suspect the original will still not be as good as playing it on a PC Engine since IGA has a tendency to not know when to leave a good thing alone or the flaws of the PSP itself will bring it down (like the really bad ghosting and blurring in Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth), and depending on your situation (and I imagine most diehard Castlevania fans DON'T have a PSP), the original Rondo is still a cheaper/wiser purchase (I got a PC Engine Duo AND Rondo for less than it would cost me to get JUST the PSP).

But I've been thinking about this some more, and I came to the realization that the remake really defeats the purpose of the existence of Rondo of Blood. Rondo was never necessarily the best PLAYING Castlevania game, especially since it's so darn easy, but what elevated it so high is that it has such a remarkable degree of polish. The graphics were absolutely stunning for the time and still are gorgeous (the fact that over a decade later the sprites are still being rehashed is a testament to that), and the music is also fantastic. Remaking the game into sub-par 3D destroys all of that polish the original had, so even if it still plays well, it ends up being "just another good Castlevania game". Even if the 3D improves, we all know that it still won't be anything remarkable in this day and age.

And from there, it got me thinking that this is kind of a rip-off compared to the other collections Konami just recently released in Japan. If you look at the TwinBee one for example, not only do you get more games, but that one has a far superior remake. It takes a little black and white Game Boy game and remakes it so thoroughly that it's almost like a brand new game, and graphics were redone in absolutely beautiful, highly detailed 2D. The whole point of a remake, when it is focused on graphics at least, is to UPGRADE the game, to make it MORE attractive to look at. This Rondo of Blood "upgrade" does the exact opposite.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    This Rondo of Blood "upgrade" does the exact opposite.
    But its far from finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    It's Sony's decision, not Konami's. Sony has strictly prohibited 2-D games being released on the PS2. The only way Sony will approve a 2-D game is if it's some mega-compilation (sometimes that's not even enough...look what SNK had to do to get Metal Slug Anthology released on the PS2). I'm positive Konami has presented these idea's to Sony several times and finally got the approval for the PSP because of its slow decent into obscurity. Sony desperately needs more titles for the PSP and are therefore getting less "picky" and letting a few 2-D titles slip by.

This is a good thing.
    It's more of a scea problem not sony of japan.

There's been all ready dozen of shooters release for it in jpn.

Not to mention a lot of release by snkp with collections of there own.

Still while scea will let some 2d games through in the, U.S there policy on what does get aproved is too strick if you ask me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    They'll get the hint when 2D actually sells on consoles. Look at Castle Crashers, they were going to give that game a "legit" disc based release but decided the best route would be Xbox Live. Still a console release, but it's certainly not a "prime time" title.

While handhelds are getting more respect now, 2D is still stuck in the ghetto. In the ghetto....
    Agreed and that what the problem is.

That's why i'm so annoyed by it every time, Konami trys a 3d castlevania it falls short.

I guess they miss the fact capcom "did it all ready and it's called dmc.

At least if konami did a castlevania 2.5D vania for a console i'd buy it.

Still this psp release will give dracula x more attention.

I still hope konami will do a real (castlevania collection) but i know that's wishful thinking.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    But its far from finished.
    That's why I said: "Even if the 3D improves, we all know that it still won't be anything remarkable in this day and age."

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    That's why I said: "Even if the 3D improves, we all know that it still won't be anything remarkable in this day and age."
    Depends on what ur standards for "remarkable" is Also depends on the hardware. This game might take advantage of all the PSP hardware and push it to the max for all i know. Might not look that good right now, but i will wait for the final product before i make my decition.

I agree that 2d (as in sprites) Castlevania games are the best If you have played the orirginal you might have big expectations for a remake. I havnt played the original yet, but im sure its a great looking game. But even if the 3d remake doesnt look so good (totaly up to if you like 2d or 3d the best tho) it might still be a great CV game, especially for the people who havnt played the original.
    Last edited by jajaja; 02-03-2007 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    Do you guys think there is a chance in hell that this might lower the price of the Turbo CD/Duo original? If it sold for $100 or less I might sell some stuff and just own the real thing. But its still going for over $150...
    I doubt it seriously. $150 is a good price for it...it used to sell for $300 a copy for a LONG time. And most people want to play it on a console anyway....I suspect this might actually drive demand up because of people who try it and then want to play the real game.

@Aussie2B: I really SERIOUSLY don't agree with you. Lenneth was ported by Square-Enix, not Konami, so that's a flawed comparison...you're better off looking at Ys Ark of Napishtim that Konami ported from the PS2 to the PSP, or Gradius Collection. Konami does good ports. As for the game itself....Rondo wasn't EASY. Finding the alternate paths through was actually quite brutal. Every level has a hidden path and a 2nd boss and some of them are almost impossible to find, and when you do, much harder than the main levels. Some of the bosses are quite hard as well (Death notably) and a fair number of the levels are easily as challenging as, say, CVIV or CV1. Sure it's not as hard as Dracula's Curse, but it's not EASY, certainly by today's standards. And with the inclusion of the original version on the disc, I don't see how ANYONE can complain about the 3D version at all. You don't like it...play the original version or stick to your Duo. Don't bitch about them finally releasing a game that everyone wanted them to.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

It really boggles me that there be so many complaints about this news! I mean here is a game that for ages, everyone wanted to see a re-release and now its coming and all everyone can do is whine and complain!

Come on if you really wanted the original you would have bought a Duo and the game long ago for its price. But now a re-release is on the way and people are considering it better to buy the Duo version cause its "a better value". I have myself a copy of the Duo version and I've completed it with both Maria and Richter at 76% completion. I am currently at 86% completion and have found 3 prisoners (still searching for the fourth). Its a great game for its day. Its the bridge between traditional style and current "metroidvania" style. Many have never played the game and always wanted it to be re-released and now its finally happening and all we get is whining

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    I have a feeling the creator of the series isnt feeling to well about a rondo rerelease he stated himself he doesnt want to port it ever cause he considers it a fan game , well the company he works for doesnt care I suppose.

I dont get what your saying. Wont fans be purchasing this game? I mean you have to be a fan of Castlevania to want to buy this right and those that arent fans that buy it will become fans of the series. Fans, Fans, Fans. Just thought I would add some more fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate Sony's attitude towards 2D games...I rather see the Retro-Castlvania Games on the GBA

Vinnysdad - I think I know..I don't think the creator of the series wanted to port over Rondo in 3D
    Last edited by MarioMania; 02-03-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad View Post
    I dont get what your saying. Wont fans be purchasing this game? I mean you have to be a fan of Castlevania to want to buy this right and those that arent fans that buy it will become fans of the series. Fans, Fans, Fans. Just thought I would add some more fans.
    Yes but Im pretty sure I read Iga didnt want to port it and prefered people play the original release. (go and hunt down a duo and a copy of the game) So he kept throwing around the phrase its a fan game.(fans willing to hunt down the game and system)
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 02-03-2007 at 12:37 PM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Couldn't IGA do something about it...

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

I like many others wish this were on the PS2 rather than PSP. But I am sure it will only be a matter of time before this happens.

I don't own a 360 either so I am wondering, is Konami planning on releasing/has released the saturn version of Dracula X with the extra areas and Maria? Or is it directly based on the PS1 versions?
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicGameTrader View Post
    is Konami planning on releasing/has released the saturn version of Dracula X with the extra areas and Maria? Or is it directly based on the PS1 versions?
    There is a Saturn Version with all the Extras & Maria

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

He meant Symphony of the Night, not the first Dracula X.

Still, it's good to see this PSP release. The poor little handheld will actually have a must-play game. It's turned into a nice retro machine, if it weren't so damned expensive. But once a PSP gets cheap enough, it'll become a fan favorite among the hardcore crowd.

Now, the question that's really on my mind - when would Konami reissue Dracula X on the Virtual Console? Or how about a DS version?
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas View Post

Still, it's good to see this PSP release. The poor little handheld will actually have a must-play game. It's turned into a nice retro machine, if it weren't so damned expensive. But once a PSP gets cheap enough, it'll become a fan favorite among the hardcore crowd.

Now, the question that's really on my mind - when would Konami reissue Dracula X on the Virtual Console? Or how about a DS version?
    That what I'm saying, The Saturn Version is SOTN with Maria in it. I'm not talking about Rondo one, The Saturn Version is like the PS1 one but with Maria & Extra Stuff like the Sound Test Option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sincerely hope they'll include the Saturn version's extras and none of its programming flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas View Post

Still, it's good to see this PSP release. The poor little handheld will actually have a must-play game.
    HOLY SHIT WE'VE GONE BACK IN TIME

WE MUST BE IN EARLY 2005, BEFORE THE PSP LAUNCHED WITH LUMINES

QUICK, SOMEONE CALL THE NEW ORLEANS AUTHORITIES AND WE CAN PREVENT THE KATRINA DISASTER
    Last edited by Kid Fenris; 02-03-2007 at 10:21 PM.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

When I read about this yesterday, I shat a huge brick.

Definitely glad I just bought a PSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"