Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Looks like I have a reason to preorder now. To think that I can be persuaded by a cheap figure...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Looks like I have a reason to preorder now. To think that I can be persuaded by a cheap figure...
    God help you! But sriously, sometimes those stupid figures bring in some serious cash.

I could never understand the love of Kubrick figures, but they appear to have a loyal cult following.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    God help you! But sriously, sometimes those stupid figures bring in some serious cash.

I could never understand the love of Kubrick figures, but they appear to have a loyal cult following.
    I was going to buy it the day it came out anyways But with a goodie like that, gotta preorder.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not a fan of Kubrick figures either, but it would be an insult to compare that THING to Kubrick figures. o_O It looks like a freakin' melted chocolate bar. Everybody who got it previously has said that it's complete crap and the worst example of pixel art they've ever seen. NECA was trying to charge big bucks for it and was claiming it was very limited edition, but I'm not surprised they're giving them out for free now. They probably could barely move any stock.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me just say this:

I dislike the "toy" part of video gaming!

I just think it is completely stupid and actually degrades the hobby as a whole.

Many of you will disagree with me on that, as I am sure there are collectors here who have to have every Halo 3 action figure and collectible as well! That being said, I do LIKE collector's editions of games and systems, but don't expect to see me buy any video game action figures any time soon.

I also think the "legendary" Halo 3 edition is incredibly stupid! All my opinions!

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me just say this:

I just think it is completely stupid and actually degrades the hobby as a whole.

Many of you will disagree with me on that, as I am sure there are collectors here who have to have every Halo 3 action figure and collectible as well! That being said, I do LIKE collector's editions of games and systems, but don't expect to see me buy any video game action figures any time soon.

I also think the "legendary" Halo 3 edition is incredibly stupid! All my opinions!
    I just realized that this is completely off topic in this thread, so please forgive me for that!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The little 8-bit Simon Belmont figure is ok. The new Castlevania figures (Simon, Alucard, Drac and Succubus) are freaking awesome. I find myself a little put-off by game related toys too but, I want all four figures of that series. Mostly my toy collections are movie, television or horror related and those figures will gel very well with Grandpa Munster, Evil Ash and even the Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Let me just say this:

To each his own with enjoying that part, but why do you feel it degrades it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just in case anyone missed coverage of DXC, check out www.high-scoreonline.com and click on the Castlevania Week coverage in the sidebar...

Lots of vids and screens...
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I want to know how video game figures are "degrading" as well.

How are they any different from the official art portraying characters within a game? One is a 2D artistic expression (drawing) of the characters, while the other is a 3D artistic expression (plastic mold).

The only way I can see figures being degrading is if they're poor interpretations of the characters or if they make video gaming look like it's kid's stuff. The latter isn't an issue in terms of this topic, though, considering the NECA Castlevania figures are clearly aimed at an older audience (I mean, heck, Succubus has bare breasts).

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    To each his own with enjoying that part, but why do you feel it degrades it?
    Just my opinion. In order to get video game collecting to the masses, we need to take a more "grown up" approach.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case with comic book collectors, toy collectors, and coins, because they are considered "main stream" collecting fields.

Whenever I say I collect video games, I am met with comments like, what is that or that is different.

It is unfortunate that most toy collectors and other hobbyists consider video game collecting a part of toy collecting! I consider that an insult! That is why I feel as though, when a company releases toys, etc. on a hit game, they are making that argument more viable.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just my opinion. In order to get video game collecting to the masses, we need to take a more "grown up" approach.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case with comic book collectors, toy collectors, and coins, because they are considered "main stream" collecting fields.

Whenever I say I collect video games, I am met with comments like, what is that or that is different.

It is unfortunate that most toy collectors and other hobbyists consider video game collecting a part of toy collecting! I consider that an insult! That is why I feel as though, when a company releases toys, etc. on a hit game, they are making that argument more viable.

In other words: Toys are toys, video games are video games. You can collect both, just don't try to tell me that video games are toys. Got it? I heard that way too many times before!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, that's the difference between the outlook on video game figures in Japan and in the US. They're much more popular in Japan, and you'll almost NEVER hear them called "toys". They're meant to be art displayed on a shelf, not played with. There just isn't as big of a market for them in the US. American adults who do collect figures tend to go for comic book superheroes and such. In the past, when video game figures were first trying to break ground in America, companies did think the safest approach was to target kids, so you'd end up with stuff like the Street Fighter II G.I. Joes. It's nice to see American companies like NECA making figures for adults, and I think more and more of these companies are only going to keep sprouting up.

I don't think it's the figures that are the problem, nor do I think eliminating them will fix it. It's a deep set, ignorant outlook that mainstream America possesses, and it'll be hard to change. It's the same kind of thing that makes most people think everything that's animated is cartoons for kids.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, that's the difference between the outlook on video game figures in Japan and in the US. They're much more popular in Japan, and you'll almost NEVER hear them called "toys". They're meant to be art displayed on a shelf, not played with. There just isn't as big of a market for them in the US. American adults who do collect figures tend to go for comic book superheroes and such. In the past, when video game figures were first trying to break ground in America, companies did think the safest approach was to target kids, so you'd end up with stuff like the Street Fighter II G.I. Joes. It's nice to see American companies like NECA making figures for adults, and I think more and more of these companies are only going to keep sprouting up.

I don't think it's the figures that are the problem, nor do I think eliminating them will fix it. It's a deep set, ignorant outlook that mainstream America possesses, and it'll be hard to change. It's the same kind of thing that makes most people think everything that's animated is cartoons for kids.
    And I agree completely...ignorance is the problem, but the question is:

How can we change that?

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I agree completely...ignorance is the problem, but the question is:

How can we change that?
    I will say this NECA does make nice toys. And when I order from NCS (import dealer on the net), I am sometimes tempted by those "figures" they have displayed, however the bigger picture is "culture shock."

That is accepted in Japan, not in the US.

There lies the problem!