Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earth defense force 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Earth defense force 2017

Some of you may know its coming to the states , just caught some new trailers , looks very promising.
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/clips...ers-233861.php
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

looks pretty cool.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

disappointed (only slightly) to find out this is not a sequel to Earth Defense Force (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank god. I loved the hell out of the first two games and have been bummed that they never got picked up for US release (damn you Euros and your releases of quirky Japanese games; at least we got Katamari Damacy!).

I've yet to buy a 360 but I'll still buy this damn game to show some retail support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Those are the best kaiju ants I've seen in awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

So anyone else pick this up? I was on the fence about it, but I picked it up this afternoon. It seems like it's getting an awful lot of internet hype (which I usually don't find myself buying into), so hopefully that'll drive sales. I've only played it for about an hour and a half so far, but it's very good from what I've played, and it's this kind of 'minimalism' that I've been missing in modern games for so long. Just a few buttons and a huge swarm of enemies. Here's hoping the sales encourage the publisher to bring more like it stateside.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    So anyone else pick this up? I was on the fence about it, but I picked it up this afternoon. It seems like it's getting an awful lot of internet hype (which I usually don't find myself buying into), so hopefully that'll drive sales. I've only played it for about an hour and a half so far, but it's very good from what I've played, and it's this kind of 'minimalism' that I've been missing in modern games for so long. Just a few buttons and a huge swarm of enemies. Here's hoping the sales encourage the publisher to bring more like it stateside.
    I saw it in my local GS last weekend, but I was kinda nervious about picking it up. This makes me feel better about getting it.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing the NTSC/J release with a friend of mine for a few days. Great arcade-y fun. I just love the weapons -- I'm making my way with the grenade launcher that's like a grenade shotgun. Hit a pile of ants, watch 'em fly 100's of feet in the air. Pure quality.

And there's the mega-damage homing missile -- moves so slow you can almost run faster than it.

It's a really stupid fun game, but stupid in a very very good way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a rocket-launcher frenzy, very awesome but am also disappointed it wasn't the sequal to EDF (SNES).
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I REALLY love this game. Like, a lot. I've been playing for roughly 17 hours and have gotten through the game on normal, and halfway on hard. Hardest and Inferno are going to take some SERIOUS leveling to even be possible to finish. Needless to say, I'll do it. I like this game enough to put that many hours into it

Best budget title I've ever bought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Does anyone know how the weapon pick-ups work yet? I've unlocked a fair amount of weapons in my fairly short playing time, and I'm guessing it's just random what you get (though they inform you that you get better drops at higher difficulties). One thing I don't like is that I've run into a glitch (I would have said 'bug,' but it would have lost its meaning in a game with giant insects) where I had to roam over a gigantic level to kill the last bug who was hiding out (way the hell high up in the first caves level). Took me about 10 minutes or so just to find the damn thing. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it and it certainly stands out among the 360 library as possibly the first sleeper hit for the console.

In other news, the "Air Tortoise" is one of the most apt weapon names in gaming history, it's a missile that goes so damn slow it feels like you can outrun the thing on foot, but boy does it pack a wallop when it finally connects.

edit: Smork beat me to the punch on the Air Tortoise.
    Last edited by Half Japanese; 03-27-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Where is everybody buying this game? Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc. don't have it in store. The Gamestops near me all have 1 copy (the opened shelf copy...and I refuse to buy it at the "new" price when it's opened).

Please, list the stores you've bought it at or seen it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Where is everybody buying this game? Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc. don't have it in store. The Gamestops near me all have 1 copy (the opened shelf copy...and I refuse to buy it at the "new" price when it's opened).

Please, list the stores you've bought it at or seen it.
    From what I've read, CC and BB are holding it until at least the 27th (today!), but EB/Gamestop seem to have had copies since the 3/20 release date, as well as Toys R Us and I bought mine at a Game Crazy. Then again, BB/CC often drag their feet on getting stuff from smaller publishers, if they get them at all. If that fails, you can save a whopping 12 cents off retail and go the Amazon route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

My local Best Buy put out 5 or so this morning. I picked up a copy and can't wait to try it out tonight. It looks like it's going to be one of those long afternoons at work...a new game waiting in the car...4 more hours.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this up last week and its been a fun game so far, the first three levels were kinda lame, but it gets good quick... I wouldn't pass this one up, even if its not a direct sequel to EDF on the snes :-(
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Does anyone know how the weapon pick-ups work yet? I've unlocked a fair amount of weapons in my fairly short playing time, and I'm guessing it's just random what you get (though they inform you that you get better drops at higher difficulties). One thing I don't like is that I've run into a glitch (I would have said 'bug,' but it would have lost its meaning in a game with giant insects) where I had to roam over a gigantic level to kill the last bug who was hiding out (way the hell high up in the first caves level). Took me about 10 minutes or so just to find the damn thing. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it and it certainly stands out among the 360 library as possibly the first sleeper hit for the console.

In other news, the "Air Tortoise" is one of the most apt weapon names in gaming history, it's a missile that goes so damn slow it feels like you can outrun the thing on foot, but boy does it pack a wallop when it finally connects.

edit: Smork beat me to the punch on the Air Tortoise.
    It is totally random, on the weapon pickups. Each difficulty has it's own set of weapons available only on that difficulty, the better ones being available in the last 3-4 levels of the game. So to unlock them all you're going to have to play the last few levels on inferno until you get them all. Now obviously if you start the game out on hard, you'll be able to grab the easy and normal weapons while you're playing hard, making it useless to play easy or normal unless you want the achievement (I do). I'm about halfway through hard, and bygod some of the weapons I'm even getting at this level rock! You love the tortoise? Wait until you get the Prominence M1 (1500 dmg, 5 second reload, travels faster than the tortoise) or the deadly Tortoise ME (4000 dmg, 10 sec reload, 30 METRE blast area!)

I can NOT wait to see what the game gives you on the later stages on the inferno difficulty!

edit: I picked mine up at eb, $39.99 in Canada
    Last edited by Nesmaster; 03-27-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've seen it at Fry's Electronics stores and at a Micro Center computer store. I'd like to pick it up eventually, if it didn't have giant spiders in it. That kind of thing makes my skin crawl.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I played the game for an hour or so last night and had a blast. This game is the epitome of cheesyness...but in a good way. I completely understand the comparisons to Starship Troopers and Team America.

One of the best parts of the game (IMO) is the return of unlimited ammo! After years of FPS's and Tom Clancy games, it's nice to just keep shooting.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Wow. I am LOVING this game. It takes a few levels to pick up, but once the truly giant enemies start showing up, this is far beyond cheesy into the category of epic. Not even Shadow of the Colossus had a sense of scale like this, with building crumbling, mass explosions, and lasers firing all around your head. I just fought a giant ship that drops those long armed robots in the middle of a city and it's one of the most incredible sites I've ever seen in a video game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back when it was announced for Japan I had hoped it would be region free. Sadly, it wasn't. Thankfully they saw the light and released it here and I couldn't be happier. Well, I would've liked online co-op and everything from the prequel but theres always hope that a sequel will come around fixing those two issues.

If you have a way of playing import Ps2 games I highly recommend checking out the prequel. There is a lot of stuff that simply didn't make it into the 360 game which is a big shame. This includes more enemy types and a second playable character. I think Play Asia has it on sale for about $20 now. The only downside is the frame rate which can get to be downright horrible at times. Still, it's totally worth checking out and if you liked EDF 2017 you'll love the prequel.

I posted a few videos up on youtube showing off some things that didn't make it into EDF 2017. Here are links to them!

Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81: The Chikyuu Boueigun 2

Centipede Boss

Flying Ants
    Last edited by UndeadKing; 03-31-2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added Third video
    My Japanese game videos
    Latest Videos: Oretachi Game Center: Akumajou Dracula Stages 1-3 completed without dying from the bonus promo DVD.