Thread: Need help w/ install of mod chip on a Sanyo drive Saturn w/ PC Trap Board

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Need help w/ install of mod chip on a Sanyo drive Saturn w/ PC Trap Board

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have wanted to get into Modding systems for awhile now and decided to start out with what I WAS TOLD was an easy mod. Unfortunately it's not so easy. I am having one hell of a time getting a mod chip (bought from: racketboy - think it's a Xinga chip not sure though) to work. The installation method I used was the standard one described here: http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modc...yo-install.htm

Everything looks the same on my Saturn as it does in the pictures on the guide except my power supply board is different. I am still soldering to the post 2nd from the back, but my connection point has 4 posts not 5 (Like the other Model 2 Saturns.). I used the A-B solder bridge method to handle the signal wire duties. No dice.

When the chip is installed this way I can play Golden Axe the Duel (original copy) perfectly fine. Virtual On Netlink Ed (also original) however only reads as an audio CD. The burned copies of these games I have made (both direct copies of the disks and from dl'ed ISO/BIN and ISO/OGG sets. Using Alcohol 120% Trial version at DAO/SAO and 4X max speed) also read as the Virtual On original does (audio CDs).

I tried disconnecting the PC Trap board from the CD-drive board but that was disasterous as the Saturn would no longer play the Golden Axe original anymore. In fact no disk was reading at all. Not even as audio CDs. I've read alot of conflicting reports about the mod chip on a Sanyo Saturn. Everything from it's unmoddable to it works perfectly fine installed as I have done. At this point I am at a loss and I can't find a definative solution to my problem. Please, if you can, help me.

Almost forgot. Also tried to install it on a Model 2 Saturn (not mine) without the PC Trap and a JVC CD-drive I get the same results. Except Golden Axe origianl wont even play. Everything comes up as an audio CD. I did this to test the chip as that type Saturn is supposedly always takes the mod chip. I have no idea what is going on here. Is it possible the chip is no good? It looks decent in quality, but if it was run in China (which I am sure it was) I'm not so confident in the Quality Assurance dept... maybe bad chips are common?

My Sanyo Saturn system info:

Model #: MK-800000A
    Serial #: B7B019314
    Manufacture Date: 2/97
    Code after Man. Date: SY 670-6470A
    Sanyo Drive Board Model#: 610-6294-30
    Main Board: Haven't disassembled this far so I don't know.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-07-2007 at 08:48 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives