Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hidden PSX ONE Gems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

R/C Stunt Copter is one game I still have fun with. Too bad I cant use my psp to play it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    DYK: Top Shop was also on Saturn, JP only called, damn, I can't remember. It had too much JP text for me to play, though, and ended up only frustrating me, so def. stick with the PS1 version.
    Tenant Wars. The original Japanese versions of the game also featured real Japanese stores (you can run a Denny's!) as opposed to the generic ones in the American release. Of course, I like this game!

Battle Hunter, seconded. Sort of a simplified board-game version of a tactical RPG. Great fun with four players trying to steal each others' treasure.

No One Can Stop Mr. Domino, seconded. You're a domino, and you have to...use dominoes to trigger increasinly bizarre events. A complete trip to play, and fun as hell.

Tall: Infinity, seconded. One of the few puzzle games I can think of where the idea is to fill as much space as possible. There's a Japan-only sequel which adds a 2-player mode.

Starfighter Sanvein, seconded. An absolutely stylish shmuppish outing where you have to clear rooms out as fast as you can.

Roll Away (Kula World) is a trippy puzzle game that has you collecting objects in an omnidirectional 3D maze and getting to the exit before your time expires. It gets downright devious in the later stages.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Assault Rigs - I really think this is one of the most underrated PS1 games. I mentioned that I was playing Assault Rigs on my PSP to two other DP members, and how amazing it was to be able to play this PS1 game on my PSP, and the two guys had never heard of Assault Rigs. I was totally amazed by that. This is kinda a tank/puzzle game. I know that's kinda a weird premise, but it's got great graphics, great music, and outstanding gameplay. Just a fun game all around, and one of the earlier PS1 games.

2. Loaded - I'm not sure Loaded is a "hidden gem" per se, but it's an outstanding game that I think is often overlooked. It was a game that came very early in the life of the PS1, and I just think it's one of those games that get's buried under the avalaunche of tons of releases, and people forget how good the original Loaded was.

3. NBA Live '96 - Ok, I know alot of people are going to think I'm crazy with this one, but NBA Live '96 was the only basketball game by EA relased on the Playstation that wasn't polygon based. It's basically NBA Live 95 from the Super Nintendo (which is an all-time classic btw) except with 3D arenas and courts and camera angles and improved sound. This game holds up way better over time compared to the polygon sports games that are painful to play today.

4. Triple Play '96 - Everything I said about NBA Live '96 basically applies here too. Only baseball game EA made on the PS1 that didn't use polygons for the players. Sprite based players on a 3D field, was some of the best sound in a sports game up to this point. I'm serious, if you get the slightest enjoyment from playing Baseball games, this is one to check out, cause you probably missed it the first time around.

5. Disruptor - This is a cool game to check out, especially if you own a Playstation 3 and Resistance: Fall of Man, or if you are interested in R:FOM. Disruptor was one of Insomniac's first games, if not their first game, and Resistance is very much a return to their roots. Most people forget that they started off with a FPS game. Not the greatest game in the world, but definitely decent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think in a similar PS topic awhile back I mentioned Turnabout, kinda like that 70s-80s(?) wooden labyrinth box you had to maneuver the little metal ball through- but so much better. Great music too- nongamers have told me!

Juggernaut & Echo Night- 2 1st person MYST-type games that didnt get the recognition they deserve. EN: Beyond is the PS2 scifi sequel, fairly decent but a bit slow.

Dracula: Resurrection & Last Sanctuary- 2 more MYST-y games that seem subpar but are worth playing through.
    Saltwater Sportfishing if you're into that kinda thing, dumbed-down vers. of Sega Marine Fishing, still worth a look.

Disruptor seconded- can anyone recommend Epidemic? It seems a lot like BRAHMA Force, which I liked...
    Last edited by RJ; 02-09-2007 at 05:02 AM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dragon Valor
    Fighting Force (most people think this game is crap, but I love this game in multiplayer)
    Hogs of War

Insert Coin (Level 0) Defconsoft's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuyinGA View Post
    Darklight Conflict
    Civilization II
    C-12 Final Resistance
    Carnage Heart (even though it can be very boring to almost everyone)
    VR Golf '97
    Star Gladiator: Episode 1
    Ray Tracers
    Darklight Conflict, now theres a blast from the past. I remember trying to rewrite the PC level scripts to get it working on the PS1. Right nightmare that was.

And to add to the discussion the follow are faves of mine

'Z'
    Firo and Klawd
    I design therefore I am.

Come see my little PlayStation collection here

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz;1128537
    [B
    Punky Skunk[/B] is a very rare 2D platformer that many people have never even heard of. It's a 2D mascot platformer like the dime a dozen released in the 16-bit era, stuck in the 32-bit era. Nontheless, Jaleco's platformer is fun, if a bit on the short and easy side.
    I second Punky Skunk I absolutely love that game and I also am adding Triple Play 2000, because it had that crazy allstar team you could play with were all the players had mutant powers...good times.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

While not technically PS1 games, they are games that can only be played on the PS-

Blitter Boy- fantastic isometric run & gun, hilarious fun.

Total Soccer- as close as you're going to get to SWOS on a console. Addictive as hell.

Between the Eyes- the world's most psychedelic racer full stop. Really does hit you, well... yes.

Bouncer 2- Breakout with a brand new twist on it, and bloody amazing it is too.

Super Bub- a cross between Puzzle Bobble and Super Puzzle Fighter, a truly amazing gem of a game, in multiplayer, beats most commercially released PS1 games.

The catch? All of these are homebrews created using a Yaroze, and only ever saw the light of day in covermounted demos on the (as far as I know only the) UK Official Playstation Magazine. But still, very, VERY much worth a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Consider Roll Away seconded. I'm a huge fan of logic puzzle games, and this is a damn fine one.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure isn't as pretty as the Dreamcast version, but it has more to DO, including a board-game-type story mode with a bunch of minigames.

I don't hear Bushido Blade mentioned often enough these days.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I'll second Silent Bomber and Rising Zan and add Apocalypse (fun fact, this game engine became Tony Hawk Pro Skater,) Power Shovel, Philosoma and One.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    I'll second Silent Bomber and Rising Zan and add Apocalypse (fun fact, this game engine became Tony Hawk Pro Skater,) Power Shovel, Philosoma and One.

Now that you say that Apocalypse and Tony Hawks Pro Skater do look very similar. Interesting

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by theshizzle3000 View Post
    Now that you say that Apocalypse and Tony Hawks Pro Skater do look very similar. Interesting
    Another fun fact: in the mall level of THPS1, there's a hidden level where you skate by boxes of unsold copies of Apocalypse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another fun fact: in the mall level of THPS1, there's a hidden level where you skate by boxes of unsold copies of Apocalypse.
    See that I do remember and I thought it was hilarious.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fist of the Northstar Banpresto Beat em up,
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I just disagree with the concept of 'hidden.'

IMHO, no NBA Live game, as good as they may be, will never be hidden.

At the same time: Fighting Force, Triple Play, Civ 2, Tetris, Wild Arms 1&2,
    Mega Man Legends 1&2, N20, etc etc....

Most people know about all of these games, and are far from hidden

I'll second Mr. Domino though, great game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Heart of Darkness - great game in the style of Out of the World...

has a 1980s childrens sci fi adventure feel to it...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I'll toss in another vote for N2O: Nitrous Oxide, very trippy but an awesome game. I also enjoyed the crap out of Blast Chamber. That game could really bring out the worst in people...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you really get me started on PlayStation games that don't get enough attention, I'll never shut up. :P But since many of my choices have already been mentioned, I'll just go with my very favorite obscure PlayStation release, and also one of my very favorite PlayStation games and one of my favorite games ever:

Tail Concerto

I've played through it probably more times than any other PlayStation game (although the fact that I can beat it in 5-6 hours doesn't hurt). The game just oozes charm and always puts a smile on my face. Great platforming gameplay with some RPG elements thrown in, lovable characters, a captivating plot, bright colorful graphics, masterful art by the brilliant Nobuteru Yuuki, and pleasant soft music that perfectly compliments the adventure, it's got just about everything I could possibly want in a game. The only tradegy is that it seems to just attract furry fans who only care that the game stars cat and dog people rather than being able to see the merits of the game even if it didn't have furry characters, and normal gamers tend to stay away because it's so cute looking to the point that they feel emasculated or they assume it must be a game designed for little kids.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I second One. Awesome game and quite difficult, IIRC.

I'd also like to add:

Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorceror's Maze is a surprisingly decent Arknoid clone worth checking out. Also while not "hidden" G Darius Does not get mentioned enough, one of the best shooters on the system in my opinion.