Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted, but never found!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Wanted, but never found!

Okay, for those about to read this, I've tried to liven things up a bit with some comments. I've been looking for these title for ages, but finding them is very difficult. My current wants:

1. SNES 'R-Type3 - The Third Lightening' is not stock at any online retro gaming shop. No prices, nothing and I've been looking forever!
    2. SNES 'Super Metroid' is always $20 or more when it should be cheaper.
    3. NES 'Metriod' about the same story as #2
    4. Genesis 'Crusader of Centy' about the same story as #1
    5. Genesis 'Dragon's Fury' probably the easiest one to find here.
    6. Genesis 'M.U.S.H.A.' can't find it anywhere!
    7. Genesis 'The Punisher' find it a lot, for too high of a price.
    8. Genesis 'Splatterhouse 2' can't find it for less than $20. Yikes, too high!
    9. Genesis 'Splatterhouse 3' can't find it, but it would probably be too expensive anyhow...
    10. Genesis 'Thunder Force III' can't find it! It should be cheap when I do.
    11. Genesis ' WarSong' ...ha...ha,ha,ha. I'll never find it.

That's it for now.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you wanting cart only or complete?

I have a cart only copy of "Dragon's Fury".

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Not trying to sound like a dick. but if you keep finding games at similar prices, chances are that's going to be the current market value of the game. I know that I would rather keep my mint complete copy of super metroid than sell it for less than $20, despite not liking the game.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there is a difference between can't find it and can't afford it.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Want a Metroid? I should have a copy of the NES rerelease...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a small list and these represent the hardest ones to find, so I'm beyond being picky for complete games. I'm fine for loose. All of my SNES games are cart only (with a few manuals mixed in). Most of my Genesis games have at least the box, but I've had to reproduce a few covers for the rarer ones (like Dune, Shining Force 2, Mega Bomberman, Grindstormer, etc.). I even have a few spare boxes, SNES clear cart sleeves. I've only been a complete-ist about the Sega Master System, but that's a lonely and expensive road! As far as value, I look at the rarity guide here as a good start.

Offers? Send me a private message here and we'll talk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Edited since I didn't feel like being such a dick

Seriously though - what you think a game should be worth is irrelevant. Sometimes you have to pay the price for something you want.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why should Super Metroid be cheaper? It's the best SNES game ever made in many peoples books (2nd in mine after Link to the Past) - Id think $20 bucks is a steal

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightySlacker View Post
    Why should Super Metroid be cheaper? It's the best SNES game ever made in many peoples books (2nd in mine after Link to the Past) - Id think $20 bucks is a steal
    20 bucks isn't a steal but 15-20 is about as cheap as it's gonna get for a loose cart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What everyone else said. What you'd LIKE to pay is irrelevant as far as the market is concerned.

I just sold a complete R-Type III on evilBay at a BIN price of $49 as I recall.

Like walrusmonger, I too have a mint complete copy of Super Metroid (Non-GH release "green slime") and a mint complete copy of Metroid (yellow-label release) and there's no way in hell I'd let them go for $20.. not even $50. I once sold a sealed copy of "yellow" Metroid on eB for $225 BIN (The DEALER I sold it too.. turned around two weeks later and resold it for $350.. bastard.. but hey.. that's life. I got MY price.).

I have a complete MUSHA, Splatterhouse 3, had Thunder Force III, and Warsong.. found them all on eBay and paid the price. They're fairly HTF but can usually be found there at any given time.. for a price. THAT's the reason you're NOT going to find them at any online "mom & pop" resellers, nor for that matter at a big retailer like EB games or even estarland for that matter. WHY would I sell a copy of any of the aforementioned games to one of these dealers for $5 when they would turn around and sell it to you for $50; and I can get that on eBay myself? I've never quite understood the reasoning behind people who search all these online stores for titles like that.. by their very nature and what they do.. they aren't going to have them.. so I don't waste my time; and if they DO have them and they're dealers/resellers.. they're only going to stay in business if they make a profit and have the collecting knowledge to know what they are really worth. Some people who open little online store-fronts.. really shouldn't because they're not ready knowledge wise. If you can catch one like that and snatch up a bargain.. good for you; but they rarely last for any length of time simply because of their poor business sense and lack of profit. ALL supposed collector's like to think we could be "savy" and shrewd store owners.. nothing could be further from the truth.

The last time I even frequented an online store was years ago when I got a sealed copy of Mohawk & Headphone Jack from one of our member's stores for $10. I'd guess it's worth a bit more than that now.. and no.. I never opened it.

edit: BTW.. just had to mention.. you'll find a great deal of contention here, even amongst the staunchest & oldest of members.. as to the validity and "currentness" of the online guides price quotes. It's something we discuss quite often. Hardly anyone looks at it as the "be all - end all" source especially where worth is concerned. It simply isn't updated after a games been entered and listed. That would be a daunting task because it's SO comprehensive. In MOST cases if you're looking for something at THOSE prices.. you'll have a long wait. Unless you happen to run across a member who insists on selling their stuff at that price.. good luck. We ALL would love to snatch items up at those prices. It always amazes me how many people WANT their games at those quotes; and yet when it comes to selling their own stuff.. don't abide by it. I don't do that either.. I'm not that naive, and I don't condemn anyone who doesn't.. either.
    Last edited by scorch56; 02-12-2007 at 05:55 PM.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Well this thread kinda got crapped all over, didn't it? heh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation

Okay, it seems I've stirred up something here, and I owe a bit of an explanation to why I think like I do. You see, I've been a local collector for a very large part of my time spent with this hobby. Since 1997 most of my buys have been through inexpensive outlets: at thrifts, goodwills, pawns, and local game shops. I still haven't used e-bay to buy anything. I only turn to online shops when there prices are better than I can find locally. It is only now in the late stage of my collecting that I'm having to go online to get what I need. Neo Geo CD games just aren't found in the wild.

Per the SNES, I look at my collection for a sense of what I should pay. Historically only the RPGs have set me back $20 to $30. FF2 w/manual was $21.65. FF3 was $27.06. Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were $32.44 each. Everything beyond that was in the $5-$6 range: Space Megaforce, UN Squadron, Super Mario Kart. They're all loose (+ some manuals) but I don't mind. I could post my 35 or so SNES collection here with prices, but I think I've made my point.

And for Super Metroid: Why do I want to pay upwards of $20 for a game that isn't rare (over a million copies by the N's own numbers) and isn't an RPG? They're great games, and I'd pay $10-$15 each after shipping for Rtype3 & Super Metroid.

One thing I've noticed, the SNES has always had a premium price attached to it. It has taken time to get my collection together, but I get a great deal of satisfaction out of doing it this way. It's such a rush to come across something I've been missing for a price that doesn't make me feel cheated.

I guess I should add this to the 'introduce yourself' sticky...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I think you'll find online very different from local collecting - especially now that pawn shops and the like are starting to sell online more and more. If I lived in a larger city I'm sure my options for picking up games at local outlets would be much more appealing.

You may be able to find a collector/trader on here that has the same attitude and something you want, that is a good thing about this forum. Meantime, you'll probably just get the same reaction you have been to your pricing suggestions. I'm just bitter, that's my excuse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a lot of us lose sight of the fact that for over the last decade, the median release price for most games.. be they console or PC.. was $50; and before anybody interjects.. I'm talking about RELEASE price. I don't care if you bought Psychonauts at Toys-R-Us for $10 a year later.

It shocked me when I read in some PC gaming magazines that some of the old C64 and Tandy PC games were $50 back in the day.. on a floppy. My god.. who could afford those prices back then?

It's just my opinion.. but if something's a "classic".. and I can find it in "like new" condition.. I totally don't mind paying the original pricepoint of it.. 50 bucks, after all.. everybody's always espousing about how this old crap is supposed to appreciate and not depreciate aren't we?

Having said that.. would I pay $50 for a mint complete copy of Faceball 2000? No. Would I pay $50 for a mint copy of Super Metroid? Certainly. In this forum.. you're ALWAYS going to find some guy who comes in and wants to share his good news with everyone that he just scored a complete mint copy of Suikoden II for $75 and thinks he got a bargain (I did ) and invariably.. you're going to have someone else come in answer, and tell you their story of how they scored one at 3AM on eBay, 5 minutes into a BIN auction.. for $20. Truth of the matter be told.. if you wait long enough.. have the patience, and look high & low EVERYWHERE (eB included) you will eventually find that elusive game at YOUR price point.. it's a fact (barring maybe <$5 copies of Suikoden II, but let's not get preposterous here).

Ultimately though it ALL comes down to free will, doesn't it? Each one of us will pay what we want to. You just have to understand that anyone's given threshold they may have problems and a long wait.. but for me in the past.. that's what made collecting fun.. the hunt; and that's why I no longer want to collect.. the hunt has lost it's thrill.

In my particular case.. I live in a small town where no one finds retro games in the wild (I've never done the garage sale circuit though.. I don't have time; but I'm talking about Goodwill, mom & pop video game stores and even the game chains) so 99% of my collection came off eBay.
    Last edited by scorch56; 02-12-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's true, online collecting is a lot different from local. I've watched almost all of my local sources dry up and go out of business (which is sad). It was so much fun to get to experience finding games in the wild while they (the shops and the supply of games) were here.

You're right though; when my neighborhood pawn shop is selling NES games on E-bay times have changed. But I'm happy to have had the experience of going out in my free time and lucking into some great (and exciting!) deals.

Well, I hope to find the orginal twelve games that I mentioned in the start of this tread, it's time for me to go off to Google and try to find R-Type 3 again

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as a dealer both locally and online. i would just like to agree with everyone. your pretty much dreaming if you want to find these games dirt cheap. but get your ass up at 6 am go to flea markets n yard sales like i do all summer long and you will find them. but dont expect somone in the know to sell you these games for those prices. tell you what ill sell you all those games at your prices if you sell me a complete nes stadium events for 50 bucks deal?
    Too Many Games 12
    Friday June 15 - Sunday June 17 Oaks, PA
    www.toomanygames.com

my feedback! http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56075

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    And for Super Metroid: Why do I want to pay upwards of $20 for a game that isn't rare (over a million copies by the N's own numbers) and isn't an RPG? They're great games, and I'd pay $10-$15 each after shipping for Rtype3 & Super Metroid.
    Supply & Demand.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's millions of Final Fantasy VIIs and they fetch $40-50 apiece. Supply and demand is the key. If rarity was the key, then some games that are really rare would fetch crazy money.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    There's millions of Final Fantasy VIIs and they fetch $40-50 apiece. Supply and demand is the key. If rarity was the key, then some games that are really rare would fetch crazy money.
    And that is the ultimate example of a game that shouldn't really be worth more than two dollars, only due to the insane amount of copies that are around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

8. Genesis 'Splatterhouse 2' can't find it for less than $20. Yikes, too high!
    9. Genesis 'Splatterhouse 3' can't find it, but it would probably be too expensive anyhow...
    A local store here had a loose copy of Splatterhouse 2 a few weeks ago for $9...... I'm still looking for Splatterhouse 3 as well.

11. Genesis ' WarSong' ...ha...ha,ha,ha. I'll never find it.
    That's it for now.
    Don't give up on this one.....I picked up a CIB version of Warsong at the same off-line store last fall. ( a mom & pop bookstore)