Thread: New GC Metroid: yay or nay?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New GC Metroid: yay or nay?

Played this one a bit at E3, but it's just not my cup of tea. While I can appreciate the amount of effort that went into the design, and the teriffic art, etc., the whole "Doom" genre "ain't my bag."

So Gamestop salesguys and gals have recently been pushing this title harder than a crack dealer downtown pushes, well, crack I guess. According to them (the Gamestop folk, not the crack dealers), I'm certifiable because I don't want to reserve my copy today.

So are they right? Am I missing out on the greatest title since Space Invaders? Or do you think they're taking the series in the wrong direction and are effectively slapping the Metroid brand on a Doom clone? (To be fair, since the game's not out yet, it might be too early to effectively tell. But what's your feeling?)

I *am* looking forward to the new GBA Metroid cart though.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on my limited exposure at this point I am a nay at the moment as well. To be fair though it will get more consideration when released to pass fair judgement. Of the up and comers right now, I think I want StarFox Adventures the most.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I am right with you on this one. I haven't been a huge Metroid fan to begin with, but making it an FPS makes me that much less interested!!

C'mon Super Monkey Ball 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    C'mon Super Monkey Ball 2
    SMB2 is awesome. The "Virtua Tennis" section of SMB2 was a big hit at E3.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did i just see Virtua Tennis in SMB2........ I retract my initial statement on StarFox, I want this instead. As if Super Monkey Ball wasn't already great, to go and add my favorite sport.... too much!

Its time for me to go change into some dry pants here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter
    Did i just see Virtua Tennis in SMB2........ I retract my initial statement on StarFox, I want this instead. As if Super Monkey Ball wasn't already great, to go and add my favorite sport.... too much!

Its time for me to go change into some dry pants here.
    :lol: Yeah, think Virtua Tennis, but replace the tennis players with the Monkey Ball gang and you're picturing it. Fun!!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no doubt the developers will serve up an ace on this one! Considering what they did with golf and bowling, I can't wait.

Whats the anticipated release date on this one anyway? Do i hear tomorrow....damn.... didn't think so.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am so excited I couldn't even put my thoughts together long enough to finish my last post.... sorry.

All I need to hear now is that Monkey Hockey, will be the second sport to be unlocked. That would be truly great! What are the other monkey events to look forward to unlocking anyway?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've seen some the pics so far and they look great. Any movies avilable for downloading anywhere?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Accd. to the magazine here, all the SMB2 games that can be unlocked:

Monkey Boat
    Monkey Soccer
    Monkey Shot
    Monkey Baseball
    Monkey Dogfight
    Monkey Tennis

And looks like I'm in the minority of actually looking forward to Metroid Prime; I have absolute faith in Shigeru Miyamoto.
    "[13:59:31] <JDllama> it's not that often that women want a guy who can meow on cue"

http://www.twingalaxies.com/
    http://www.snipercade.com/twingal/

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Urr...sorry to drag this back to talking about Metroid (though SMB2 looks pretty dang cool) Ever since I heard FPS Metroid, my interest dropped. I'm still willing to take a wait and see attitude, but all the stuff I've read about it make it seem like a run of the mill FPS set in the Metroid universe. Damn shame too considering people have been waiting so long for a new Metroid game.

Now the GBA Metroid game, that's what I'm excited about. Seemed like when the GBA came out there was all this promise of a return to 16 bit gaming and now it's all gone back to the crappy licensed shitfests that drug down the first Game Boy. Ahh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

My gamecube is just a decoration in my room for a couple months now...nothing to play nothing thats coming out catches my eye............... Splinter cell i am eagerly awaiting for x box..thats about all i see in the near future.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am looking forward to the game -- I'm a fan of Metroid and FPS's, though. I don't think it's gonna equal Super Metroid (one of the best games ever) but it should still be fun to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

If its fun, I'll probably get it. I'm into the FPS's that have more meat to sink your teeth into other than blasting the beejeezus out of everything like Red Faction, Elite Force, or the more RPGish Elder Scrolls series. It'd be interesting to see what Metroid will serve up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely more excited about the GBA Metroid. FPS games literally make me ill. I get dizzy and get motion sickness if I play them too long. The GC Metroid looks pretty though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuck all things Metroid made after1992. I weep for the fate of the franchise. The GBA version looks like a cheap clone of Super Metroid, and the less said about Prime, the happier I'll be. No, my friends, the thing about Metroid is that its creator died in a tragic accident. His vision of Metroid IS Metroid. Without him there is nothing, nothing, just death and darkness.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default th

Nintendo should have made a VERY GOOD sidescroller (just to stick with the retro metroid.) and designed it like Contra Shattered Solider is gonna look like. That would rock ass.(don't ask me about the rockin ass part. I dont understand it either.)
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime. Yes, it's a FPS. But that doesn't mean that it will suck.

As for Metroid Fusion, Nintendo is finally doing what I wish they'd be doing from the start with the GBA: I've had enough with their straight ports of SNES games (especially since I already have all these games!). At last, they're doing like Sega and Konami have been doing, respectively with Sonic and Castlevania: a new game INSPIRED by its 16-bit ancestor, and not a simple remake. Yes, Fusion is à la Super Metroid. So what? Sonic Advance is à la Sonic 2 (Genesis version), and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance is à la SotN. It isn't the same as a completely new and original game, of course. But at least they're trying to make it different from the game that inspired the GBA port.

As sad as it is regarding Yokoi's death, there's not much that can be done. People have been asking for a new Metroid game for years, and Nintendo simply can't ressuscitate Gumpei Yokoi. Miyamoto has rarely missed the target before, and I don't see why he'd start screwing up now, even though he's been working on quite a few projects at once.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default x

I will be purchasing it. It looks great. It's the next logical step in the series. Cant be 2d forever.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With most games, you can't tell what they are like until you've played them, and can only go by what magazines/ the internet says, and the graphics. I've seen a working demo of it being played, and it looks very smooth, but I've played games that look stunning but were about as fun as using acid as eyedrops. I'm reserving judgement until i play it at ECTS.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.