Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever resumed somebody else's saved game?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Ever resumed somebody else's saved game?

Pretty much everyone here has found used/old cartridge games at a flea market or thrift store that already had stuff saved on them. It might be an rpg, a sports game, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Phantasy Star or something else entirely. Maybe it was on the NES, Genesis, N64 or something in between. Unless you got the game from a friend or family member, you'll probably never know who the previous owner was. What do the rest of you end up doing with those saved games?

A few weeks ago, I picked up a couple of Sega Genesis/32X games in a thrift store. For the Genesis, I found "Greatest Heavyweights." On the 32X, I bought "NFL Quarterback Club." A day or so later, I bought "Zelda II: Adventure of Link" (classic) for the Game Boy Advance at GameCrazy.

When I played "Greatest Heavyweights" a few days ago, I found a couple of saved games in the Career Mode. One boxer was a couple of matches from winning the title and the other boxer only had one fight under his belt. Instead of erasing these two boxers and starting over, I have decided to resume their careers and see what happens. They are headed up the rankings as we speak.

Next I tried out "NFL Quarterback Club" (32X). I decided to try loading up saved games to see what was there. The previous owner was in the midst of a 14-1 season with the Dallas Cowboys, one game away from the end of the season. I played the 16th game in that season and have led Dallas into the playoffs.

The person who had "Zelda II" before me had finished the first five palaces and wasn't that far away from beating the game. I decided to jump right in where he/she had left off. What I noticed is that whoever was playing before me knew very little about some of the secrets in "Zelda II." They were missing at least one heart container and magic jar that you usually would have picked up by that point. What was puzzling was that they had yet to find the mirror, so they were missing the Life spell from the town of Saria. This was despite that fact that he/she had apparently been into every other town on the map, including New Kasuto. I thought that was funny but I also had to admit that person needed to be somewhat good to make it through all those later palaces, and the boss fights, without the Life spell.

Who else has a story like this? I know a lot of people might erase any saved games if they pick up a used game. For some reason, I have decided to continue a couple of boxing careers, a football season and a Zelda quest all of which were started by a total stranger. It is part of my nature to try and finish what other people started. That way all of their previous work to that point wasn't in vain. Of course they'll never know somebody else finished those games and probably have forgotten about them long before.

This doesn't have to be limited to cartridge games either. It could be a saved game from a hard drive (XBox) or memory card (Playstation) if you happened to have a copy of the same game there was a save for. For the purpose of this particular discussion, I'd prefer that you limit it to saved games that were started by a total stranger or a friend. It isn't quite the same when you pick up where a brother, sister, child, companion or spouse left off.

So the question is: Have you ever resumed somebody else's saved game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I still remember leading "ASSMAN" "BITCH" and "FUCKJOB" through Secret of Mana's later dungeons.

Resuming other people's saved games seems dirty and wrong to me. I delete them immediately if I buy a used game.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I bought a lot of Dreamcast Memory Cards a while back and I can't bring myself to deleting the contents...

They have saved games and replays for Power Stone 2, Capcom Vs SNK, several NBA and NFL games... it kinda bugs me because I want to delete them but I can't because they're not my games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find these kinds of things fascinating. The only problem is, if it's a game where resuming someone else's saved game might "spoil" it for me (i.e. RPGs that I haven't played before) then I have to save them for later, and sometimes delete them if there aren't enough empty slots.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    it kinda bugs me because I want to delete them but I can't because they're not my games.
    I feel the same way. I bought Saturn memory carts which had a number of saved games on it, but I could never delete them. I also never tried loading up the saves even though I had quite a few of the games they were from.

Cartridges are different since there you're dealing with a limited number of save slots, so I usually delete saves on used carts I get, though in that case I will check them first to see what was going on in the other player's game.

I don't know what I'd do with someone else's saves on a VMU, luckily it's never happened to me. VMUs aren't nearly as big as a Saturn backup cart, but I don't know if I'd feel justified deleting them. I'd probably move them to one of the unused pages of one of my 4x cards or something.

The only time I've played someone else's save is on Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. I bought that last summer and it had the previous owner's save on it which was absolutely and completely maxed out. The guy had found every single soul, made every single weapon, gotten every single item and accessory, etc. Obviously that's too cool of a save to just delete, so I'll leave it on my card. It also gave me a chance to play Julius mode before I'd finished the game myself, which was pretty cool.

...word is bondage...

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember renting games (usually RPGs) when I was little and being forced to delete other people's files to play. Eventually though, an unwritten rule was established (among people who never met) that no one was to delete/alter the file that was furthest along in the game.

I remember playing Final Fantasy VI and watching a guy who named his main character "Dave" go all the way through the game. It was actually kind of exciting. I would pop into his file every now and then to see where he was and what awaited me.

Although, my file always ended up getting deleted.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kept the tetris dx save on my gbcolor game. Dudes name was Adam, had over 20,000 lines. I can play against "him" in a versus match so it's pretty rad.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my brother and I rented super metroid from blockbuster one weekend and made it very far. Returned it and one week later rented it again and luckily got the same cart with the save intact. beat it that weekend and returned it.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

John Hardie steals Pokemon characters from the games traded in at my store... does that count?

PS awesome thread, I'm subscribed. Want to hear more because I live in a world of used memory cards and games and love these stories.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Whenever I buy a game that has save data already on it, I usually delete them all except for the one that is the farthest in. That way, if I get stuck or just want to see further in the game, I can see how the other guy managed.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

The saves on my used carts are alway really crappy. It's usually a save from like 3 or 4 minutes into a game, which is completely useless. Some of the wrestling games I have, like Wrestlemania 2000, have create-a-wrestlers of the former owner and some of his friends, but I know him and they're not really accurate portrayals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

In general, no. I briefly glimpse the name on the file and then wipe it away.

The closest I've come to actually doing this is when a friend gave me my first PSX along with his memory card and a copy of Tekken 2. He encouraged me to not erase his file since he had already unlocked everybody so I was happy to oblige.

I do admit that my curiosity gets a little but piqued about a game's history when I buy a used title that has files with names like "JOSH" and "DAD". That always makes me try a little harder at the game because I want my kids to know that I'm a cooler father than Josh's dad.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OdSquad64 View Post
    The saves on my used carts are alway really crappy. It's usually a save from like 3 or 4 minutes into a game, which is completely useless. Some of the wrestling games I have, like Wrestlemania 2000, have create-a-wrestlers of the former owner and some of his friends, but I know him and they're not really accurate portrayals.
    Create-A-Wrestler was a favorite of mine. Somewhere out there right now is a loose WWF Warzone cart for the N64 I used to own. It has what I believe is a 100% authentic version of Viscera (aka: Mabel), who was one of my favorites, from his Ministry of Darkness era. I had to create him because he wasn't on the roster for that game. It took an entire night but I got him pegged perfectly, including most of his moves which I recollected from his matches on tv so I could "create" him.

I hope someone is resuming his "career" because by the time I was finished with his move set and powering him up, he was unstoppable even on the hardest settings. I never played a second player who could beat him. I used to have those 60-90 second Mike Tyson type of finishes no matter who I faced when I was using him. Damn, I wish I still had that cart and that save. I'd never be able to make him again or get him that perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the games I play are CD based, so I don't experience this very often. Sometimes I buy used GBA games, and there is usually one save that is 100% done. Someone must have done everything to do in the game and then traded it in. I just delete it and start my own game.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Typically I delete them only when I need space... I'll only look at them if they seem interesting.

I do remember when I got a good condition Lufia 1 CIB (poster too) for $15 back in '01. One file on the cart was totally- and I mean TOTALLY maxed out as far as I could tell with about 90 hours on it. Then, I was showing the game to my brother... and not noticing his SNES was on (it was a model 2 SNES so it didn't have a power light) took the cart out because we were gonna play some Super Bomberman 2. After I did, the maxed file and my file close to halfway through were (of course) gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought a VMU for my nefpew for Christmas it had the Data for Marvel vs Capcom 2 for all 56 Charaters, I copyed it on my VMU to play..I went back to play it 2 days ago..I lost the secrete charaters

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever I buy old mem cards and check the content, I'm always surprised at how poor a sense of taste of the previous owner possessed. 1 terrible game save after another.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Yes once. A friend copied his save from Resident Evil onto my card and said he was far in the game. Turns out, he wasnt and had a shotgun without any ammo. This was around the time RE first came out. Next time I saw him, I kicked him in the nutz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was younger, my grandfather would always take me to local pawnshops on the weekends, looking for Game Boy and Super NES games. I bought Super Metroid because it looked neat (having never played nor heard of Metroid). It had a save file on it and I played from right before your fight Kraid to the end. I still have that cart.

I remember also saving files on rented cartridges and trying to find the same one at a later date. I did so with Mario RPG.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love old save files and codes written in the back of old manuals.

They give old games a sense of life. Much like collecting old books and finding names written in quill pen and such.

Personally I do not play someone elses save file, but I will go into it and check it out. I will also avoid deleting it unless it is necessary.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com