Thread: MORE PayPal b*llsh*t.. so WTF is this?..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MORE PayPal b*llsh*t.. so WTF is this?..

OK.. I've sold and shipped stuff to Canada before.. many times.. over the years. I've NEVER seen this. Tonight someone purchased a BIN from me and paid through PayPal. I went to check in PayPal itself and clicked on the transaction details. On that page.. at the VERY top where it always says something like "This item has been paid for".. I see a hyperlink that says "fee details" (NEVER saw that before) so I click it and up pops a little box that has these figures:

Total Fee: -$1.47 USD

Fee Type: Payment Received
    Basic Fee: -$1.17 USD
    Cross Border Fee: -$0.30 USD
    Non USD Fee: $0.00 USD
    BC Promo Offer Fee: $0.00 USD

.. so WTF is a "Cross Border Fee", a "Non USD Fee", and a "BC Promo Offer Fee"? I've NEVER seen any of these terms before, nor do I recall ANY announcement, or notification sent to me from PayPal elaborating on it. God I hate EBay and PayPal. If it's going to start costing me more money to do business in Canada..
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to tell you the truth, cross border fee exists for years, it only occurs when you're dealing with international buyers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Princess-Isabela View Post
    to tell you the truth, cross border fee exists for years, it only occurs when you're dealing with international buyers.
    Well.. I've never seen any of these fees annotated onto my charges. So is this an extra fee PukePal charges me for doing business out of the country? God as my witness; I've NEVER seen that charge in MY details.. especially when taking payment from Canadian buyers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    Well.. I've never seen any of these fees annotated onto my charges. So is this an extra fee PukePal charges me for doing business out of the country? God as my witness; I've NEVER seen that charge in MY details.. especially when taking payment from Canadian buyers.

I have it on mine too. Yes of course its another fee from paypal for out of country buyers. Their fees are getting quite ridiculous. 53 cent fee on a $6 payment. I really am considering going to money orders only. I am also thinking of putting things up on yahoo to test the waters. Apparently they don't charge any fees.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rcgamer View Post
    I have it on mine too. Yes of course its another fee from paypal for out of country buyers. Their fees are getting quite ridiculous. 53 cent fee on a $6 payment. I really am considering going to money orders only. I am also thinking of putting things up on yahoo to test the waters. Apparently they don't charge any fees.
    They didn't, but they do now. However I have a suspicion that they are considerably more amenable than eBay's fees .. especially now that in the UK they've bumped up the FVF in lots of categories to 9% ...
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Scorch, you're not the only one that gets burned by these fees.

A while back I had a problem with a lost package. The buyer was Canadian and he paid me in US dollars. The package never got to him, so I refunded his money... and when he got the money back, Paypal converted the cash to Canadian Dollars, so he actually LOST some of his refunded money. Ridiculous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cross-border fee is an additional 1% on top of the 30¢ + 2.9% they already charge (making it 30¢ + 3.9%). I have always factored it in when accepting international Paypal payments (usually adding an extra half dollar or so to account for it). The other two fees, however, I've never heard of.
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yahoo is a FREE service in the US, it's a little harder to navigate and there isn't the traffic there that ebay gets but you can put reasonable BIN's up and do very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I think I figured out the BC thing.

I was looking at recent PayPal "policy" updates and found this little gem:

Promotional Financing Fee Increase
    Notice Date: January 30, 2007
    Effective Date: February 28, 2007
    Effective for eBay payments made on or after February 28, 2007, the fees eBay sellers are charged for Promotional Financing (in addition to standard PayPal transaction fees) will be increased...
    They charge from 0.90% to 2.75% of your total payment received if the buyers use their PayPal Plus Credit Card or their PayPal Buyer Credit to pay for things over a period of time.

In other words, I'm no longer ticking that "Promotional Offer" thing when I list stuff. What a freakin' scam.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I think I figured out the BC thing.

I was looking at recent PayPal "policy" updates and found this little gem:

They charge from 0.90% to 2.75% of your total payment received if the buyers use their PayPal Plus Credit Card or their PayPal Buyer Credit to pay for things over a period of time.

In other words, I'm no longer ticking that "Promotional Offer" thing when I list stuff. What a freakin' scam.
    I've never ticked that thing. It says it only shows up on items over $50 and most of mine are usually under that, and even on big ticket items I've always seen it as a beneficial advertisement for PayPal.. not me.

Ahh.. so BC stands for "buyer credit"? I thought it stood for British Columbia.

Either way.. like I said.. I was never aware; nor was I ever told.. that selling stuff out of country costs ME more in fees.. and as I've also said before.. I NEVER saw any indication that it did.

Granted.. in this particular case it was only 30 cents more and apparently I haven't been assesed any of those two OTHER "tack-ons" but I guess I'm more pissed by the point that this was semi-slipped under my nose as the fact that it costs a few cents more.

In the long run though.. this can only hurt foreign buyers as I'm now considering only selling stateside anyway.. anymore. It wouldn't be fair to jack up the price of everything even more in the anticipation that your item MIGHT sell over-border; especially to stateside buyers.
    Last edited by scorch56; 02-14-2007 at 11:34 PM.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the problem with paypal and ebay, there is not a ton of reasonable options yet. Hopeful, one day soon, there will be more options for both buyers and sellers. I have tried finding items I want on yahoo auctions, but they don't have a great selection, especially if you want something more rare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Felixthegamer View Post
    This is the problem with paypal and ebay, there is not a ton of reasonable options yet. Hopeful, one day soon, there will be more options for both buyers and sellers. I have tried finding items I want on yahoo auctions, but they don't have a great selection, especially if you want something more rare
    Even if there's an alternative to PayPal, eBay will ban it. Just look at Google Checkout. The system hadn't even been around for long, and they decided that it would be best to ban it before it gained ground.

Why haven't people filed an anti-trust lawsuit against eBay and PayPal? There's more than enough people who've been scammed by them both...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    I've never ticked that thing. It says it only shows up on items over $50 and most of mine are usually under that, and even on big ticket items I've always seen it as a beneficial advertisement for PayPal.. not me.

Ahh.. so BC stands for "buyer credit"? I thought it stood for British Columbia.

Either way.. like I said.. I was never aware; nor was I ever told.. that selling stuff out of country costs ME more in fees.. and as I've also said before.. I NEVER saw any indication that it did.

Granted.. in this particular case it was only 30 cents more and apparently I haven't been assesed any of those two OTHER "tack-ons" but I guess I'm more pissed by the point that this was semi-slipped under my nose as the fact that it costs a few cents more.

In the long run though.. this can only hurt foreign buyers as I'm now considering only selling stateside anyway.. anymore. It wouldn't be fair to jack up the price of everything even more in the anticipation that your item MIGHT sell over-border; especially to stateside buyers.
    So just raise the price of your International shipping by $.30