Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Laser Disc MPEGs

Anyone know where I can get MPEGs of Laser Disc games for use with Daphne? I really really REALLY want to play Super Don Quixote again since I didn't quite beat it at CGE (got close though). I haven't seen any MPEGs on the various Rom sites, I guess most people aren't interested in them.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I downloaded a few a long while ago from the newsgroups (alt.binaries.emulators.misc posts them here and there) and I actually deleted a few off the HD because they didn't run right and were taking up alot of space. I guess it depends all on how it is ripped. I did keep Space Ace tho, since it plays just perfectly in daphne (at least my rip does) , so if you have an ftp somewhere I can rar it up and upload it (it's OVER 1.5GB) ...or I can burn the rars on a 3 cd-rs and ship them to you if you pay for the discs and shipping. Whichever...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is that game worth picking up? I do have a LaserActive...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

1.58GB?!?! Holy crap! Is that the normal size for one of these? I didn't think a laserdisc could hold that much info.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep.. they come out to 2 cd's worth each.. i.e. 1.4 Gigs.

Ironically I just downloaded a couple of them the other day. Although I've had 'install it all in one step' Daphne packs for Dragons Lair, Space Ace, and Cobra Command for a while. I just downloaded the mpg's for the other games however, so configuring daphne would be up to you.

Anyway, if you want em.. I'll gladly be another source for you if ya'd like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Where are you getting these? I can't access the newsgroups because I don't know the news server for Roadrunner cable in Michigan (anyone know?). I'd love to get them.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    Where are you getting these? I can't access the newsgroups because I don't know the news server for Roadrunner cable in Michigan (anyone know?). I'd love to get them.

Tempest
    Well, I'm on optonline, so my news server is news.optonline.net . Perhaps news.roadrunner.net ?? Not sure, not familiar with the service. Just give them a call and ask them for the news server. I usually get them from alt.binaries.emulators.misc or alt.binaries.emulators.arcade (Space Ace is being uploaded ironically as I speak there). I use Newsbin Pro for all my newsgroup needs. No need for anything else

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tempest
    Well I get them from my mass web of underground contacts! However, aside from that.... yes, the newsgroups is where you snag these most of the time.

If you don't have newsgroup access (you probably do, but it's retention and # of groups is probably subpar as is usually the case with ISP provided ng service) do what I do and subscribe for $14.95 per month to Usenetserver ( www.usenetserver.com ). Their retention is about 2-3 days.. which aint the greatest.. but it's unlimited downloads, so that's a big plus. And it has a huge amount of groups to peruse. Comcast provides great newsgroup service, but I still subsribe to usenetserver.

Another service you can check out is easynews ( www.easynews.com ). Their retetention is great. But you're limited to 6 gigs a month. It's up to you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Doesn't Mamefans have them up for download? (Granted, downloading 70+ files totalling over 1 GB isn't a pleasant experience, but if you have the connection, time, and hard drive space, why not?)
    ________
    Jailbroken
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Wow they do! But when I click on a link it just brings me back to the main page. Is there something special I need to do to download them?

Ok I got that working (it was my firewall) but now it wants me to register and when I do it seems to crap out and not do anything. When I try to re-regester it says my e-mail is already taken. So I don't know what's going on but it looks like I'm not going to get my MPEGs from there.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your Roadrunner News server is most likely: news-server
    At least mine is, I've grabbed most of these laserdisc mpgs from alt.binaries.emulators.misc and a.b.e.arcade.

And I like easynews for $10 month, you get great retention but only 6 gigs a month. I personally like that limit, so I'm not d/l more than I need for emulation.

Oh, Super Don Quixote plays great on Daphne, I might have to try a round tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Woo Hoo! I figured it out! Damn that downloads fast!

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

How often are these groups updated? I assume by using the "Get Latest" command on NewPro I'll get all the latest messages.

I have Space Ace parts 7,10,11, and 19-29. I need the rest!

Tempest

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Mach 3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Ok there appears to be two different Space Ace sets. There's one in "yEnc" and one in "1 m2v & 1 ogg" format. The yEnc format versions appear to be 19Megs while the 1 m2v format ones seem to be 26Megs. Which one is better?

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok there appears to be two different Space Ace sets. There's one in "yEnc" and one in "1 m2v & 1 ogg" format. The yEnc format versions appear to be 19Megs while the 1 m2v format ones seem to be 26Megs. Which one is better?

Tempest
    yENC is just an encoding process for uploading to newsgroups, so that doesn't apply. The only version of the game I have seen is the m2v/ogg version, which *I believe* is the DVD rip, m2v is video, while OGG naturally is the cd audio. Be sure you also get the framefile for it, because this is what tells Daphne what frames to play and when. Even tho it is the DVD rip, it is using the arcade roms (you need the boards roms as well) . So, this is what is REQUIRED to run Space Ace (or any other LD game):

Original board ROMS
    Framefile
    Ripped LD or DVD

If you need any other help along the way let me know

BTW: There is no way it is 19 or 26 megs. You are most likely looking at a RAR part, which are usually split in 20 meg sections. So, the game may be a gig, split into MANY 20 meg parts. You may also see .PAR, .P01 and so on. These are the PAR files. They will create missing and corrupt RAR files. So, if a game is 30 RAR's, and you have only 26 for example, if you have at least 4 PAR files and a Parity program (You will need this program) you can recreate the missing rars without having to hunt them down. Very nifty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yenc encoded files will be smaller too.. so that may explain it.

Tempest, a lot of people will suggest various newsgroup readers to use. My suggestion would be to checkout Grabit ( http://www.shemes.com/ ). It's free, and when I had problems figuring out other programs, grabit was easy as pie. Just go to the newsgroup, highlight the stuff, and double click to download. Simple. It's not good for newsgroups such as rec.games.video.classic but great for binary newsgroups. Just my opinion.

And yeah it takes care of that yenc encoding shit so you never have to think about it again.. (although most ofthe others do as well).. it's up to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Yes I understand that it comes in many parts and they're .rar files. I just wanted to know what the difference is in the two compressions. All the Yenc files are 19Meg While the M2V files are 26Meg. Obviously they're not compressed the same, and therefore I can't mix and match sets. How many .rar files are there in the Yenc set and how many are there in the M2V set?

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here: http://www.yenc.org/whatis.htm

Don't get rar and yenc confused. As I'm sure you know, Rar is just like .Zip. i.e. just a file compression. Yenc is the encoding method used to upload it to a newsgroup.

Again, supposedly Yenc is a better method for posting binaries therefore the files you see will be smaller. However, after decoding (i.e. after you download it) the actual file sizes that you see on your harderive should be the same. I am going to guess that the 26 meg m2v file you download will come out to a 19meg rar file. So it's all the same. Yenc is just more efficient.

I'm sort of guessing here. But say I have three rar files (.r01, .r02, and .r03) that are 19megs each and decide to post them. If I don't use Yenc, the files are 26 megs each when uploaded. If I use Yenc, the files are 19megs each when uploaded. Once someone downloads them however, they'll be back to their .r01, .r02, and .r03 status and be 19megs each.

But the true bottom line is.. Don't worry about 'yenc'. If you use a good newsgroup reader (like grabit) then it's a completely moot point.. You shouldn't even have to pay attention to it. And I know you're trying to figure out which one to download. Is your connection fast enough? Why not just set it and forget it and download them all?? That'll answer your questions right there :P

And you know what else? Don't worry.. If you still have problems after that, just private msg me. I'll set up an FTP where you can leech all the mpegs at your leisure for as long as you like (days, months, weeks, year, etc.).. nice and hassle free. How's that?