Thread: Sega CD (model 1) internal memory questions..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD (model 1) internal memory questions..

Hey all. I recently encountered an issue with my Model 1 Sega CD, all my saved games vanished! I've owned this system for years and never had this happen. In fact I had it in storage for about 3 years and sure enough all my saved data was still present and thus I've never felt the need to actually own the Sega CD Backup cart until now..

I can't think of what caused this to happen other than maybe the fact that Dune locked up forcing me to shut the system off. CD games locking up have happened to me on very rare occasions but never causing me to lose my saves. Or maybe it's because I was playing some rather lackluster Genesis games I found at a garage sale.. Slaughter Sport among them.

So to keep this short, a few question:

1) Does the internal Sega CD memory run off battery? If so, what type?

2) Is it possible certain Genesis games can somehow mess with the Sega CD memory? I do remember once when trying to get slaughter sport started that the cart was in the slot but the Sega CD came on any ways so of course I just flipped it off and cleaned the cart..

3) Is there some "proper" way of shutting off a Model 1 Sega CD? I searched here and read something about ejecting the disc before shutting the power off. I've always just shut the power off when I'm done playing, is this wrong? Could it affect the memory?

And yes, my Sega CD still appears to save games just fine. But I don't want to get too far into Dune unless I can trust that my Sega CD isn't going to lose my game again. I lost about 2 hours game time because of this.

Long winded post I know, but I can't find info on the internal Sega CD memory any where it seems. Any helpful comments appreciated, trying to keep this system alive for as long as possible. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1.Yes, it runs off a watch battery similar to the Saturn. I dont recall the exact number but there should be a little spot that you can remove and snatch the battery out of. It couldnt be simpler really.

I dont have answer to your other question... sorry.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

1. Answered above. I think it's a standard 2032 or whatever (they are about quarter sized, only thicker). Can't remember if that's the right model. If you pull it out, it says right on it, though.

2. I really doubt it.

3. Not that I've ever heard of. I thought the NES was the only one with a similar problem.

The fact that your Sega CD still saves fine is no coincidence. It was in storage for 3 years and the battery supplying power to the SRAM finally kicked the bucket. However, they are rechargeable, and when you plug it back in, it's good to go again in a short while. Like all rechargeable batteries, they can only be recharged so many times, but like you said, it's been unplugged for 3 years, so it may have a fair amount of life left in it. I think that battery-backed carts that see more use tend to only get the standard 5 year life span, but carts that are seldom used (but not too seldom) seem to retain their save files for a very long time. This is why some people still have their original 1987 Zelda save files. Now, the Sega CD is not a cartridge, but the same principle follows.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

Maybe I've been lucky but in all my years of collecting games and such I've only ever found a single cart where the save battery was dead. Strangely enough, that was a Sonic 3 cart. I always figured it would be a NES Zelda or Dragon Warrior, something older like that. So even though I'm not entirely convinced it's the battery (I really think flipping the power on/off too quickly probably resulted it in clearing), I had no idea the battery was so easily replaced and I'll definitely be looking in to replacing that soon.

I plan on playing my Sega CD for some time to come, so I guess I'm going to end up investing in the wee-bit-pricey Sega CD Backup RAM cart to be on the safe side with my saves. I just read on wiki that it has 2000 game save blocks compared to the internal 125, seems like you could probably save practically every Sega CD game on one of those since many of them don't even make use of saves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You should get the backup ram anyway, because when you eventually do change the battery, all of your internal saves will be erased during the switch. At least it does with the Saturn. I've never changed the one in my Sega CD. Still works as good as the day I bought it... knock on wood.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is there any way to back up to a PC your Sega CD save files?

-Rob

EDIT: http://products.genny4ever.net/megacart_v1x.html

Any other ways?
    Last edited by rbudrick; 02-20-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!