Thread: Deus Ex: Invisible War

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Deus Ex: Invisible War

I had rented this game 2 years ago, and recently got it on the cheap...

This game really is amazing. Better than Half Life 2 or almost any FPS by miles! My mind is stuck in this game, and what a concept.... it's a bit like what's going on in the world right now.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I;ve only played Deus Ex 2, and I think its one of the best FPSs ever. I heard Invisible War was great but I'll just take someone's word for it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Invisible War was nothing compared to the first one. It's a good game, sure, but the first one was better by leaps and bounds. Part of the problem is that they designed it so that it could run on the crappy specs of the Xbox - all the areas were shrunken down to minuscule size as compared to the wide-open spaces of Deus Ex (like Vandenberg, the Statue of Liberty, etc.) that had few (if any) of those annoying load times. The sandbox was tiny, and it was annoying. The HUD and inventory and crap was all redesigned so that it could be used with an Xbox controller, too, so they got rid of the "backpack"-style inventory of Deus Ex / System Shock 2.

The "music" in Invisible War just plain sucked compared to the first one. Deus Ex is all over my iTunes (Hong Kong Streets is one of my favorite songs of all); IW isn't even worth the space on my hard drive.

And I missed colorful characters like Anna Navarra and Gunther. IW's cast was pretty blandtacular.

Now Thief 3, on the other hand, while slightly inferior to Thief 1 / 2, also had some really cool improvements (like the "overworld") that sort of made it a wash IMO.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I finished playing the Xbox version a few months ago and mostly enjoyed it. I had previously read that one of the female NPC's in the game was anatomically correct. That must have been in the PC version, because I took full advantage of the rag doll physics the Havok engine afforded and performed hundreds of ad hoc postmortem gynecological exams and am quite certain that feature went missing in the Xbox version. Pitty!

I had also read that the developers considered it wrong that you had to kill anyone in the game. I suppose that's possible, but seems a bit facetious considering Deus Ex: Invisible War is one of the very few games that I've come across that let's you kill children.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never played the other Deus Ex Games, since I'm not much into PC gaming so I couldn't compare them. I'm really not complaining much for for $3.99!

Other than some areas being small theres nothing else to complain about, it's GOOD and better than other more popular FPS games... aka Halo 2, Half Life 2 etc...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so you basicly tossed around female corpses in hopes you'd see some muff? And you did it with children didn't you....

What did you think of the storyline at least..?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not as wildly open as the first, but I still really like it. It straddles the lines between RPG * and FPS quite pleasantly. On its own it really is a good game, but because it's more slimmed down than the original many people seem to be a bit harsh on it.

Ok, it's not perfect. Max your stealth stats and get yourself something pointy and the game becomes very easy indeed. If you have a fairly decent PC I'd give this a whirl. Just make sure you get all those handy patches (both official and non) first.

*Rant: you know, the real sort where you actually play a role - make choices that affect the world around you in the context of an over-arching plot. None of this Final Fantasy sillyness.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not as good as the original, but still better than 99.8% FPS games out there. i think people should check out "Urban Chaos: Riot Response". although it doesn't have the rpg elements or stealth from DE, it has an engrossing storyline that reminds me of Robocop. lots of replay too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I heard all the hype and played through this. Generally I felt pretty "meh" about it. Maybe you had to be there for the first one to get all nostalgic for it or something. I personally felt like the RPG-aspects didn't mesh well with the rests of the game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only recently got a hold of Deus Ex and it's terrible, horrible AI, Horrible graphics unplayable by today's standards imho and I'm not even a graphics whore I still play ugly PS1 games I think I've been spolit by games like Dark Messiah and Rouge Trooper Etc

I still want to play it though I saw it for really cheap at a clearance sale but I didn't buy and I regretted it, will probably get it if I see it again at a thrift store or something

I'm also really interested in getting a hold of Advent Rising I negotiating with someone to get that sucker but they keep letting me down

also like the look of Star Trek Elite force 2, Postal 2 (not sure which one to get) and Tron

haven't got my fps fix lately been playing too much of Severence Blade of Darkness, An Awesome RPG Hackslash from 2000 it has it's quirks though but I love it really, bloody and lots of gore..... looks really nice on my ghettobox too.
    Go, go Ackman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are my thoughts EXACTLY. The only thing that would have improved the first Deus Ex would be a better AI, like the one from F.E.A.R., so that there was more challenge Invisible War (Deus Ex 2) was SHITE in comparison to the first one, and had a crappy story to boot

I haven't played Thief 3 yet but I love the first two....now waiting for Bioshock...you want another good story oriented FPS, check out System Shock (if you can handle the aging) or System Shock 2, from Irrational, makers of Thief and the forthcoming Bioshock.

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Invisible War was nothing compared to the first one. It's a good game, sure, but the first one was better by leaps and bounds. Part of the problem is that they designed it so that it could run on the crappy specs of the Xbox - all the areas were shrunken down to minuscule size as compared to the wide-open spaces of Deus Ex (like Vandenberg, the Statue of Liberty, etc.) that had few (if any) of those annoying load times. The sandbox was tiny, and it was annoying. The HUD and inventory and crap was all redesigned so that it could be used with an Xbox controller, too, so they got rid of the "backpack"-style inventory of Deus Ex / System Shock 2.

The "music" in Invisible War just plain sucked compared to the first one. Deus Ex is all over my iTunes (Hong Kong Streets is one of my favorite songs of all); IW isn't even worth the space on my hard drive.

And I missed colorful characters like Anna Navarra and Gunther. IW's cast was pretty blandtacular.

Now Thief 3, on the other hand, while slightly inferior to Thief 1 / 2, also had some really cool improvements (like the "overworld") that sort of made it a wash IMO.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a copy of the original, but unfortunately everytime I play it on my Inspiron 630m the game moves like lightning. Any ideas on how I can slow it down so that it's playable?
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    I have a copy of the original, but unfortunately everytime I play it on my Inspiron 630m the game moves like lightning. Any ideas on how I can slow it down so that it's playable?
    Try messing about with the V-sync thing, or failing that, try this ...

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Try messing about with the V-sync thing, or failing that, try this ...

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
    Ah, cool. Thanks!
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    Ah, cool. Thanks!
    Oops, there's also some suggestions here that I forgot to put in the first post. Caused me a major headache when I first tried to play the game on my new computer and found it whizzing about the place!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like Invisible War as much as the first Deus Ex, but it was still good. One of the great things about Invisible War is that you can complete it without killing anyone, although there is one (as far as I could tell) unavoidable Illuminati soldier who selfdestructs when you knock him out. Doing a nonlethal run really added to the challenge for me. Lots of running away near the end. At one point, I even stopped one of my fellow soldiers from killing a group of enemies by running up and knocking them out before she could get to them.

The only other game that I've been able to do something like this was my no alerts/no killing run on MGS3.

I didn't really notice a lot of the changes between Invisble War and the first Deus Ex that a lot of people complain about because my computer is old and crappy, so I played Deus Ex on the PS2. The new inventory system and I think the more broken up levels debuted there.

The one thing Invisible War has over the first game is it's fun to play with physics. People die in interesting ways. You can roll flaming barrels down the street and kill people if you want to.