Thread: Anybody watching video podcasts on their big TV via their PS3?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody watching video podcasts on their big TV via their PS3?

On occasion I like to check out some of the various video podcasts for certain video game podcasts, like 1upShow, On the Spot and IGN Weekly. Normally, I would watch these shows on my computer monitor, sitting in my computer chair, with headphones on. Not exactly the most comfortable way of doing things. Then I realized that I could actually be watching these things on my big ass TV via my PS3 system. Well, at least the ones that I can download in a form that is compatible with PSP. The 1upShow has a PSP version that you can download, so all you have to do is download that version, slap it on a memory stick, and then pop the memory stick in the PS3 and you can watch 1upShow on your big TV like it's a cable TV show or something. It's much more enjoyable to kick back on the couch and watch the video podcast on a big TV and hear the sound coming from my stereo, rather than watching it on a tiny window on my PC monitor, sitting in my somewhat uncomfortable office chair, yada yada yada.

I do have a couple of questions for anybody that is very familar with watching various videos on the PS3. Does the video file have to be a mp4 video file? I'm guessing it does. Is it possible to convert Windows Media Files and Quicktime video files to mp4? Is there an easy free program that does that? When I watch the 1upShow on my PS3 via the memory stick, it does actually look pretty good, even though the actual resolution is only 330 x 180 or something like that. Some of these video podcasts allow you to download much higher res versions, and I wonder if there is a way to convert those to MP4, and would it then look even better when viewed via the PS3 on a big TV?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

huh? i use 360 to watch 1upshow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThirteenGreen

I use my 360 on a 45" TV to watch podcasts (diggnation mostly) and I love it, very easy to use and most podcasts support large wmv files for download.

As for the PS3, I am not 100% sure if it needs to be MP4 or not, but I think it does if I remember what a friend of mine told me the other day (we were having a similar discussion to this). As for free programs, try Win Avi, it can convert most formats. I believe it is a 30 day trial when you download it, but if you are so inclined, with a bit of searching you can find a crack that will give you the full retail version.

edit: you can also try a search on Google using "wmv to mp4 conversion" and it will bring up a lot of results dealing with conversion programs
    Last edited by X SMF X; 02-22-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a modded Xbox for all my media needs. I've never seen any of the podcasts mentioned, but if you can get a video file on your hard drive, XBMC can do it as long as it's not some weirdo format with DRM or something.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX View Post
    huh? i use 360 to watch 1upshow.

The only problem with using the 360, is the fact that you need to either have a wired ethernet connection to your 360, or a A + G router, to get smooth playback from video, without jittering and all that. I'm assuming your talking about streaming video with Windows Media center and Media Center Extender, right?

I'm using a wireless connection, and I don't have a A + G router, I just have a regular G router. I've heard that if you get the A + G one, then video is much smoother, almost as smooth as a wired connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThirteenGreen

you can stream WMV files from any Win XP PC using Windows Media Player 11, no need for media center.