Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Sega become the next 3DO?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will Sega become the next 3DO?

I've been trying to find out the financial health of Sega, but everything I find is old.

SEGA E3 2006:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...159&msg_sort=1

SEGA SAMMY PROFITS PLUMMET 93% - JULY 2006:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154892.html

SEGA SAMMY TO CONCENTRATE MAINLY ON ARCADE MACHINES - 12/12/2003

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=2705

As a Sega fan I sure hope they don't go the way of 3DO. Personally, I think that if 3DO made more than Army Men games their last several years they may have lasted longer. Sega concentrates heavily on Sonic, but not exlcusively. They DO release other games.

How's Sega doing? Will they survive?

Mark
    "We've come for your daughter Chuck"

-Beetlejuice

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I hope not. The Atomiswave is probably one of the most powerful pieces of arcade equipment ever produced. Sega probably needs to market a better.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I am a huge huge sega fan as many know, but I do not have alot of faith in the company. They truly have lost their way. Phantasy Star Universe was a bust, I just hope that games such as Virtua Fighter 5 will do them some financial stability. The Sega that I was grown up on is dead.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm surprised they're still around. I don't know why you're comparing Sega to 3DO. 3DO was never as big as Sega (or uhh, big). Atari might be a more apt comparison, especially given Sega's arcade games.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I am a huge huge sega fan as many know, but I do not have alot of faith in the company. They truly have lost their way. Phantasy Star Universe was a bust, I just hope that games such as Virtua Fighter 5 will do them some financial stability. The Sega that I was grown up on is dead.
    I have to admit, I feel the same way you do. To me, its like working with a kid that has so much potential and never uses it.

Sega needs to make a real Phantasy Star game, and a real Shining force game. Oh, and another Streets of Rage and Beyond Oasis would be nice. Sega has lost a lot of its spark.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

Sega should make an old school top down Shining Force with great graphics the one on GBA is great

They should also make some goos sonic sidescrollers for consoles with great graphics

they would have a goldmine all over again!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    I'm surprised they're still around. I don't know why you're comparing Sega to 3DO. 3DO was never as big as Sega (or uhh, big). Atari might be a more apt comparison, especially given Sega's arcade games.
    I said 3DO because like Sega they left the console hardware business to concentrate on software, True, Sega makes arcade machines (like Atari), but arcades are fading fast. I only know of one in my area.

Mark

-Beetlejuice

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Whether or not they were big, I am somewhat surprised 3DO crapped out. Unlike Sega, 3DO kept the same head honcho around throughout their entire existence. Regardless of how qualified or competent Trip Hawkins was, their company was never in a state of flux like Sega seemed to be. There was never one person at Sega that someone could say consistently called the shots throughout the years. Uh, Kalinske? Stolar? Moore? Like him or not, when people think Sony they think Ken Kutargi. When people thought of 3DO, they thought of Trip Hawkins. How about Sega? Having a central figure associated with a company is hardly overrated.

Sure, 3DO had a history of poorly received games, layoffs and Trip's hot air that were common knowledge. However, I find it a little hard to believe they weren't able to survive a little longer and carve out some sort of niche.

As for Sega, whether or not they are a big company, there are two things that could solve all of their problems.

1. Start making "good" games again, or at least make them a little more often.

2. Give the fans more of what they want (old series, etc.) and this could go hand in hand with #1 above.
    Last edited by bangtango; 02-27-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default Sega

I hope Sega doesnt go anywhere....Hell, i dream of the day they come back to hardware.....just a dream, but hey.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    I have to admit, I feel the same way you do. To me, its like working with a kid that has so much potential and never uses it.

Sega needs to make a real Phantasy Star game, and a real Shining force game. Oh, and another Streets of Rage and Beyond Oasis would be nice. Sega has lost a lot of its spark.
    I was in a Wal-Mart the other day and tried a new Sonic game demo on the Xbox 360. I just couldn't get the hang of controling sonic in 3D, which was the problem I had with Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. Maybe it's my age (48). Those pesky youngsters and their new fangled games! !

Mark

-Beetlejuice

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    I hope Sega doesnt go anywhere....Hell, i dream of the day they come back to hardware.....just a dream, but hey.

I'm right there with you. Then again, I was recently rereading the Atari Jaguar Strategy Guide. In it there is an interview with one of the Jaguar's principal designers. He was working on the Jaguar's 2 AND 3 at the time. I wouldn't mind seeing Atari reenter the field. That's a huge longshot though. About as likely as a new Intellivision console.

Mark

-Beetlejuice

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm as die hard SEGA as one can get, but I lost faith in them after they just plain flat abandoned the DC. Sure up until recently they were still licenscing out the GD-ROMS officially, and stuff was still coming out, but they just up and quit because not enough 3rd parties were putting stuff out on the console, from how I understood it. To me the DC shouldn't have officially died until at least 2003, and was much better IMO than the PS2, but that's just me. After the whole 32X fiasco though, they never really recovered and that's a shame. They (SEGA) know damn good and well that fans have clamored for...

Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
    Bare Knuckle 4
    SUPER GT
    Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
    SHENMUE III

and many other titles for years, and do they listen? Nope, and when they tried to ressurrect the Golden Axe franchise it's some 3-D crap. Seems it took some talented bunch to come up with a proper BK/SOR sequel with "Streets of Rage Remake" instead of giving us a proper high resolution 2-D BEU. I'm all for buying up Hokuto No Ken on the import PS2 by SEGA, but aside from that, Sonic is older than the first serious wrinkle on my nut sack in terms of importance, and they need to do some work.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, what timing, I was just talking to my sega fan-boy best friend and we were talking about how sega had gone downhill so much. He being a huge sonic fan he's been pretty frustrated for the past decade or so. I went out to ask him to name one good sega game made in the past 5 years in which he could only answer panzer dragoon orta. Orta.
    Although I agreed with him, Orta wasn't very main stream. My major point is Sega hasn't made anything spectacular in years, and have been living on remakes, crap sonic games, and the occassional monkey ball releases.
    They had some neat games a few years ago in Rez and Orta, both marketed poorly(A sega trademark). Not wanting to place ful blame on Sega itself, my friend blames the failure of the label on the fact that they don't really exist anymore, and are owned and run by Sammy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Sega won't go down because the pachinko industry is still strong. Further, since Japanese arcades are still doing well, they're making their money on that side of the pond. We're boned on that front.

All of Sega's losses over the last year came from pachinko, not their games division. I'm not sure how either.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only really been impressed with "Outrun 2" (& Coast 2 Coast) within the past...oh...I dunno 12 years.

Sadly, I admit that I only enjoy for what they *were* not what they currently are.

Even though I'm not impressed with much of Nintendo's output, they still give fans what they want.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 50s Brawler View Post
    I'm as die hard SEGA as one can get, but I lost faith in them after they just plain flat abandoned the DC. Sure up until recently they were still licenscing out the GD-ROMS officially, and stuff was still coming out, but they just up and quit because not enough 3rd parties were putting stuff out on the console, from how I understood it. To me the DC shouldn't have officially died until at least 2003, and was much better IMO than the PS2, but that's just me.

Something you have to remember...Sega not only dosen't have deep pockets, ala Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, their pockets have holes in them. At the time that Sega left the console business they were in debt to the tune of about $500 million! They were already losing money on every Dreamcast sold, so how could they support the Dreamcast without capitol?

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft can afford to lose money on every console sold (in order to reap the third party royalties down the road), but Sega wasn't in that position. Sadly, I don't see them being able to reenter the console hardware market anytime in the foreseeable future. It requires deep pockets, good decisions, and luck. Sega seems to be lacking on all three fronts. This from a guy who owns EVERY SEGA PLATFORM except the Game Gear and Sega CD, although I have games for them too. I even have a boxed Nomad!!! Oh wait! I don't have a Pico! Damn! !

Mark

-Beetlejuice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

udisi:
    I too have a friend still hardcore into Sega and Sonic. He continues to buy in the Sonic franchise even though he knows it's crap and he won't like it. He just wants all the Sonic and spin-off games, that's why he owns everything but the Pico.

I would love to see Sega one day become a big player again, even if it ended up in the software market.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic and the Secret Rings is getting a lot of good press right now. If the game becomes a blockbuster, which seems very possible, then how can you say Sega is spiralling out of control?

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh this thread makes my heart ache I hate facing the music sometimes...

I just wish there was a positive answer to save Sega. I do admire how much they are focusing on just software, re-releasing Genesis games as download or software compliation disc. Talk of Saturn emulation on next-gen consoles (PS3 was mentioned last year, but who knows..)

I heard both my bosses trashing Virtua Fighter 5 today, which kind of broke my heart....saying the game's graphics were too much like VF4 and the button response was a bit slow. I still would like to play that game someday..
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope not. The Atomiswave is probably one of the most powerful pieces of arcade equipment ever produced.
    It is?
    Quote from system16:
    Notes : This is a standard dreamcast type spec, so has less power than the Sega Naomi.
    Most mis-used is more like it. The system supports low-res and high-res, but instead of proper low-res games SNK (and most everyone else) interlaces their games w/ the same old regurgitated low-res sprites, resulting in a gigantic pile of shit. This system can't die fast enough.

saying the game's graphics were too much like VF4 and the button response was a bit slow. I
    Probably too much "virtua" and not enough tits, a la DOA, etc. The game isn't meant to be flashy... it's "techy", and that's where it succeeds. It's always been misunderstood in the west though, so there comments come as no surprise. I will give them credit in that there isn't a big enough jump between it an VF4:FT... the graphics though... this is the biggest jump.
    Last edited by GaijinPunch; 02-27-2007 at 11:41 PM.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list