Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilarious new Sony PS3 article, "shortages will be completely eased by May" Huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley View Post
    I know people think I'm some Sony apologist, but for once I'd like to see some hard data that says the PS3 isn't selling well UNIVERSALLY. No more anectdotal evidence; which isn't really evidence at all. I'm sure in Peoria, Wisconsin you have a shitload of PS3s at WalMart. Good for you. I want to know nationwide if they have a shortage or not. Your small-town story (or stories) doesn't really mean shit in terms of nationwide sales. Don't flame; bring facts.
    Well show me where they have TRUE sales numbers on systems, NOT systems sold to stores, which is what is published in all the reports. (As well as what Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo base their sales on)
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Well show me where they have TRUE sales numbers on systems, NOT systems sold to stores, which is what is published in all the reports. (As well as what Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo base their sales on)
    That wasn't my question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know people think I'm some Sony apologist, but for once I'd like to see some hard data that says the PS3 isn't selling well UNIVERSALLY. No more anectdotal evidence; which isn't really evidence at all. I'm sure in Peoria, Wisconsin you have a shitload of PS3s at WalMart. Good for you. I want to know nationwide if they have a shortage or not. Your small-town story (or stories) doesn't really mean shit in terms of nationwide sales. Don't flame; bring facts.

Please Petewhitley, stop asking everyone else to supply numbers. Why don't YOU provide us some numbers (with SOURCES) that shows us how well the PS3 (or PSP) is selling.

You MUST have some inside information that the rest of us don't; you're the only one who seems to think that Sony is thrilled with their sales.
    Last edited by Griking; 03-01-2007 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Please Petewhitley, stop asking everyone else to supply numbers. Why don't YOU provide us some numbers (with SOURCES) that shows us how well the PS3 (or PSP) is selling.

You MUST have some inside information that the rest of us don't; you're the only one who seems to think that Sony is thrilled with their sales.
    For PSP I did (look up the "DS vs. PSP" thread). For the PS3, I have no idea. I'm just wondering, because all I see here is a bunch of naysayers who say it's completely floundering, despite the fact that MY LOCAL WALMART IS SOLD OUT (but honestly it doesn't matter, because it's just one store, and doesn't represent the whole country).

And apparently a bunch of people have some vested interest in seeing Sony die, because I suppose they haven't given us any good games or anything (... cough ... God of War, Socom, Gran Turismo, etc. etc. ...). It's just asine to me that purported gaming fans are so excited to see a gaming company "lose". Irregardless if any facts back it up or not.

It's not a goddamn competition (for the fans at least; and if you don't agree with that, you need to really re-evaluate your priorities as a gamer. Seriously.).

And time after time, what we've seen the past several years is that Sony has driven the industry, yet Microsoft AND Nintendo have still been able to give us the goods.

If Sony is dying, it's a BIG FUCKING DEAL for the industry, and something we should all be concerned about, because they've been selling folks on gaming for a long time. If Microsoft or Nintendo steps up to take their place, AMEN. But in the mean time, we better watch and not try bury the very same people who brought us to where we are today.
    Last edited by petewhitley; 03-01-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

No more anectdotal evidence; which isn't really evidence at all. I'm sure in Peoria, Wisconsin you have a shitload of PS3s at WalMart. Good for you. I want to know nationwide if they have a shortage or not. Your small-town story (or stories) doesn't really mean shit in terms of nationwide sales.
    ?

I wouldn't exactly call Madison, WI and it's surrounding cities as a "small town". Also, you can dismiss everything as anecdotal evidence depending on your bias.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    ?

I wouldn't exactly call Madison, WI and it's surrounding cities as a "small town". Also, you can dismiss everything as anecdotal evidence depending on your bias.

Good. I dismiss EVERYTHING as anectdotal. That's my whole point. Let's see the facts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

If Sony is dying, it's a BIG FUCKING DEAL for the industry, and something we should all be concerned about, because they've been selling folks on gaming for a long time.
    So what if Sony takes it on the chin this generation? They're not going anywhere. Obviously competition is a good thing for all of us, but Sony isn't going to "die". They just need a reality check (and price drop).

Their main problem (and the reason I started this thread) is that they still don't seem to understand that the average person doesn't want to drop $600+ for a game console.

However...I'll agree that this arguement is getting tired. I'll be buying a PS3 soon enough, as will most nay-sayers on this board. I mainly thought the article was hilarious and needed to be shared with the DP audience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to be dropping $400 next week... on my computer.

In my area of around 1.5 million people PS3s are everywhere, same with those Xobx 360s. Wiis on the other hand are freaking impossible to find, anywhere! I can go to a pawn shop and find a stack of PSPs by the dozen. Every few weeks DSs will be in stock but the dissapear fast and don't last on 2nd hand stores shelves for long. It does look grim in my area for Sony, Microsoft though has the supply but have sold a ton of units too, a lot of people at my school have one. Wiis though, they need to ship more, people just can't get enough.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    I know most people say PS3 sucks-ass but i'm glad i got mine at launch before they take out the "Emotion Engine" like in the UK version. Maybe they already have taken it out for the US versions comming over here now. Never know.
    No no no, you're spinning it all wrong. What they've done is, um, made the PS3 more, uh, energy efficient, yea that's it. They're concerned about global warming and decided to make their console consume less energy. It's not a removal, it's a feature, they're doing it for all of us. Sony loves us

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About BC:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23148

Over 1000 PS2 titles, isnt that basicly every PS2 game that got released in Europe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    About BC:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23148

Over 1000 PS2 titles, isnt that basicly every PS2 game that got released in Europe?
    According to the same article only 10% of PS2 games will play. Not sure where they're getting these numbers. My guess is the "1000" games that will work will be a mixture of PS + PS2 titles.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cant see anything where it mentions 10%, where does it say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

On Usenet, someone mentioned about 8500 PS2 titles released worldwide, which would mean we're talking about a 12% range. Apparently, about 2500 PS2 were released in Europe (no idea if that's true...), so we're still under 50%. What probably bothers most people is that they're getting something like less than 50%-12% compatibility (depending on your point of view) for more money than the rest of the world...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p_b View Post
    On Usenet, someone mentioned about 8500 PS2 titles released worldwide, which would mean we're talking about a 12% range. Apparently, about 2500 PS2 were released in Europe (no idea if that's true...), so we're still under 50%. What probably bothers most people is that they're getting something like less than 50%-12% compatibility (depending on your point of view) for more money than the rest of the world...
    Ye, i was thinking about that actually, but since they talk about the PAL launch in this article it wouldnt make sense to make support for US and japanese games for a PAL console since the PS2 part aint region free. 2500 PS2 games in Europe sounds like ALOT, almost too much, but dunno if its true or not.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    "Our goal is to fill shelves across the United States. Our goal is not to have empty shelves, it's to have full shelves..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

It's a few paragraphs down:

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/10080/532/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem, pete, is that the amount of anecdotal evidence creates a strong presumption in favor of lackluster PS3 demand & sales.

If you want to rebut that presumption, YOU are the one who needs to provide some numbers.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Ah.. i thought you ment the article that i linked to, hence the "same article". I think there is over 8000 PS2 games so thats about 10% ye (alittle more), but there isnt that many PAL PS2 games so its logical that they dont make support for these since, as i mentioned, the PS3 aint region free. Less than 3 weeks until it get released here, the list will be avalible then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I am hoping sony isn't shipping more ps 3's at the kmart my brother works at. The kmart he works at, is in the Milwaukee area and the store is close to a freeway exit. Milwaukee county is not a small area in population for the Midwest area in the united states. If you count the city of Milwaukee and the areas under Milwaukee county like West Allis, brookfield and others I didn't mention have a population over 630,000 people combined. That is alot of people in a county in the Midwest outside of Detroit and chicago.

At the store my brother works at, Ps 3's aren't selling well. There was only 1 ps 3 sold last month, and that was to an employee! In the meantime, there is a high demand for the wii at the store he works at. The Kmart my brother isn't able to meet the customers demand for the wii. The Ds is also selling better the psp is at that store.

What is happening is sony is inflating their ps 3 system shipping numbers numbers when sony increasing their amount of product for making ps 3 systems. They may report those numbers are sold, are really shipped to stores that don't need more ps 3 systems. Sony will have alot of ps3's shipped, but there will be too many ps 3 systems on store shelves or in the store's back room. If sony ships way too many ps 3 systems without the demand for a ps 3, like it appears now, sony could cause a crash or sony's video game division will not exist anymore.

I am saying that a crash could happen due to the fact 2 of the first signs of the video game crash of 1983-1984 was pac-man for the 2600 and E.T for the 2600. Pac-man sold about 7 million copies, but atari shipped around 12 to 15 million copies of the game depending on the source. If sony ships way too many ps 3's, a store will have to cutdown the price from $599.99 to $300.00 for a system due to the fact the store or the wherehouse the ps 3's are being stored will be taking up to much space. A store is capable of lower a price for a ps3 if that is the store could not sell the systems otherwise and no store from that retail has the need for the extra ps3 systems a store has.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    I am hoping sony isn't shipping more ps 3's at the kmart my brother works at.
    I would say its more of a question that the store wont take in more units before the others are sold, not just Sony who ships them out. Dont think any stores will take in much more PS3 if they already got the stock full and they are selling at a slow rate.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-02-2007 at 01:47 AM.