Thanked in
    0 Posts

hopefully well get rumble back in the sixaxis

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-24-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

They should have done this in the first place. Better late than never. The next step for the company would be to say the word "oops"
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good call by Sony Kinda sux for those who already bought a couple of controllers tho hehe, but it might still be months before a new controller with rumble is comming, if its comming at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I expect they would start making rumble controllers, and probably relatively soon. It's such a simple, yet immersive feature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They may have settled the lawsuit but of course Sony will never use the technology.

I'm sure we all remember Sony saying;

a) Rumble technology would disrupt / not work with the Sixaxis

b) Rumble was yesterday's technology and not worthy of the Sixaxis

I wish Sony would at least TRY get it's lies straight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I can already see where this is going for Sony. They're going to market a new premium controller for the PS3 that has both motion and rumble and name it...Drum roll....

The Dual Shock 3

Totally inevitable since they need to recoup their costs from the litigation, and this is the most direct way to do it. And you know what? I'll snag one as my second controller--since I only have the pack-in for my PS3 right now.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OdSquad64
    PSN
    OdSquad64

my guess is it will be called something stupid like SHOCKAXIS, but i'm willing to bet they'll continue to sell both controllers, SIXAXIS for $50 and SIXAXIS w/ rumble for $60. From a marketing standpoint its a great idea, from a customer relations standpoint its an awful idea. We can only wait and see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$22.5 million? That's it?!?! I know that ain't peanuts but hell, you'd think it would have been a lot more than that to settle with the way Sony kept holding out.

Does this mean there will be force feedback wheels for the PS3 now?
    Last edited by norkusa; 03-02-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    $22.5 million? That's it?!?! I know that ain't peanuts but hell, you'd think it would have been a lot more than that to settle with the way Sony kept holding out.

Does this mean there will be force feedback wheels for the PS3 now?
    Its more, but for some reason the article didnt write it. Sony also have to pay $97.2 million in damages (whatever that is) and interest. More details here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/...tation_lawsuit

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by R-21 View Post
    Really just forgot about the whole rumble thing since I been playing the PS3. Doesn't really make a big deal with me.
    I agree - it was much ado about nothing. Not that I have a PS3, but I've disabled it on my 360 to save battery power anyway.

Eventually everyone will forget it was ever an issue in the first place. Good move for Sony.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hallelujah!!! Hallelujah!!!

Man, this is incredible news, but it does present some interesting questions...

1.) How quickly can Sony get a DualShock 3 controller ready for inclusion with the Playstation 3 system?

Every PS3 system that is sold with a normal Sixaxis becomes problematic for Sony from a standpoint of potential developer apathy towards rumble inclusion in their games. By late 2007, we could be in a situation where 70 percent of Sony's installed base has the rumble-less Sixaxis as their primary controller and only 30 percent have the new DualShock 3. This of course, is assuming several scenarios, in which they can't immediately get a DualShock 3 controller designed and into the launch boxes for Europe and Australia, and that it will be many months before the DualShock 3 is ready for retail, regardless if it's packed in with the systems or available as a seperate purchase.

2.) How soon can developers add rumble to games currently in development?

Take for example a game like Madden 2008. Here is game that will be available in early August in all likelyhood, for both PS3 and 360. All things being equal, I'm sure a much larger percentage of Madden fans would want to play a version that has rumble. I'm guessing early August is far enough away that Tiburon would have time to add rumble to the PS3 version, but what about all the games coming out in April, May, June and July? Not that this is a life or death issue, but alot of games benefit tremendously from rumble.

3.) Will there be patches available for existing games to add rumble support?

MOTORSTORM, MOTORSTORM, MOTORSTORM

RESISTANCE, RESISTANCE, RESISTANCE

So far, when it comes to PS3 games, the lack of rumble is most obvious with driving games and First person shooters. Especially Motorstorm and Resistance. I mean, Motorstorm is all about off-road racing over bumpy terrain, which is what rumble is all about. With Resistance, when you are getting hit by enemy fire, you should feel it. I mean that's pretty much a standard for all FPS games. In Ridge Racer 7, when you crash into a wall, and feel nothing, it seems so weird. How easy would it be to add rumble to existing games, and offer it up in some type of patch or firmware upgrade?

4.) Would Sony be dumb enough to only offer the DualShock 3 as an option, rather than an out and out replacement for the Sixaxis?

OdSquad64 already mentioned the scarry possibility that Sony could continue to pack in a rumble-less Sixaxis with their PS3 systems, continue to sell the rumble-less Sixaxis as a seperate peripheral, and offer up a more expensive option of the Sixaxis with rumble included as only an optional peripheral, which could splinter the user base considerably, and cause lazy developers and cost cutting publishers to ignore the optional peripheral altogether.

Lots of interesting questions to think about in regards to all of this, but I can definitely say that I'm very excited to be able to finally have a rumble controller with my PS3. The only thing that could make me even happier would be if Sony added rumble support to their March firmware upgrade, which would allow users to use current PS2 DualShocks with their PS3's for games like Motorstorm and Resistance. How fucking sweet would that be?
    Last edited by Anthony1; 03-02-2007 at 03:21 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing everyone is not realizing, the "rumble" is not included in the middleware for the PS3 right now as it is. You would have to have a whole new PS3 or a patch on EVERY game (including PS2 stuff).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    One thing everyone is not realizing, the "rumble" is not included in the middleware for the PS3 right now as it is. You would have to have a whole new PS3 or a patch on EVERY game (including PS2 stuff).
    I'm guessing a firmware patch would take care of this?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    4.) Would Sony be dumb enough to only offer the DualShock 3 as an option, rather than an out and out replacement for the Sixaxis?

OdSquad64 already mentioned the scarry possibility that Sony could continue to pack in a rumble-less Sixaxis with their PS3 systems, continue to sell the rumble-less Sixaxis as a seperate peripheral, and offer up a more expensive option of the Sixaxis with rumble included as only an optional peripheral, which could splinter the user base considerably, and cause lazy developers and cost cutting publishers to ignore the optional peripheral altogether.
    I dont see why this is a scary situation, it was the exact same thing with PSX. You could buy the Dual Shock controller or the original controller. I've seen many people that want to be able to choose (i.e with HD-DVD addon for 360). If the situation becomes the same as with PSX that you can choose what controller u want, this must be very good news for those people

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    If they make the Dual Shock 3 just like the DS2 it shouldnt be more of a problem to add a firmware upgrade to fix it. If its not the same i would guess its possible to make some modification in the software that handles backward compability that "emulates" the rumble signals, making the PS3 think its DS2.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-02-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What I am wondering is, if sony decides to add the rumble feature to the controler, will consumers buy it due to cost? I am wondering because a ps 3 controller costs about $50.00 the way the controller is right now. If the controller adds the rumble feature to it, the controller will cost more for consumers to buy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I have a feeling you won't be seeing rumbling SIXAXIS for a while. What i do expect to see is real Force Feedback support for GT5.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed, its probly quite some time before a new controller comes, if it comes at all. Dont think the price will be $50 for the old controller then.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    I dont see why this is a scary situation, it was the exact same thing with PSX. You could buy the Dual Shock controller or the original controller. I've seen many people that want to be able to choose (i.e with HD-DVD addon for 360). If the situation becomes the same as with PSX that you can choose what controller u want, this must be very good news for those people

Yeah, but the original Playstation launched before rumble based controllers even existed, so comparing the situations is a little bit trickly. Also, once the DualShock 1 became standardized, they started packing it in with PS1 systems. I don't mind giving "consumers" the right to choose, I just don't like giving developers the right to choose. There are going to be developers that are too lazy, or publishers that are too into cost cutting, and they are going to use the splintered user base as an easy excuse to explain why they didn't include rumble support in their game.

The bottom line is that Sony thought they could get away without rumble in the PS3, they didn't think there would be a big outcry about it, but there was. The public spoke, and the public made it clear that as trivial as rumble might be, it's something that they want, and it's something that they are missing from their PS3 experience. All the websites, magazines and podcasts are talking about how something is missing from the PS3 experience. Sony hears this. They know that it's a negative. Sure it might be a minor negative in the grand scheme of things, but it's a negative nonetheless.

The bottom line is that they need to work with Immersion to immediately get a new Sixaxis designed with rumble, get it working properly, and get the thing inside the actual PS3 system boxes as soon as possible. They need to make it available to consumers for $59.99 and have the regular Sixaxis be $39.99. They need to end production of the regular Sixaxis, and once the regular Sixaxis controllers are no longer available, drop the price of the new Sixaxis to $49.99.