Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phantasy Star prices drop?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Well that's where they made their mistake. Video games are fun. Video games are a hobby. Video games are collectible. They should NOT be an investment.
    Whether you treat them as an investment or not. The games themselves are an ASSET. It is possible to buy a classic game on eBay, enjoy the game and then resell it at nearly the same price. Even if you resell it for a slight loss the $$/enjoyment ratio can be an outstanding deal because you don't get to keep that kind of equity when buying current gen systems and games!

I'm sure quite a few members on this forum could liquidated their entire collection, and while not make a huge profit, still have enough for a down payment on a house in most parts of the USA (certainly not Washington DC though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed to an extent. I'm very picky about prices and don't drop more than a few bucks on a game unless I know for a fact it's going to get a lot of game time. I have a few games that I spent $50 on and ended up spending over 1000 hours playing them, mainly due to online play and I played for years before completely stopping. There's a few games I've put about 100 hrs into and spent $2 on, really good price for the entertainment, can't get that much time out of many movies for the price. Then there's a couple of games I spent over $30 on to have them boxed and complete and haven't spent more than a minute playing, mainly because I haven't gotten around to playing them but because they aren't common and have had high demand for years (ie. Lunar).

But anyways, these GEN and SMS games really are great for these low prices are well worth a pickup for the time you'll spend on them. I talked to a few local dealers and they believe it's the best time to collect and play Genesis games.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Oh do I LOVE MY GENESIS.. favorite game this week would be the Thunder Force II i got for 1$
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Video games are a great investment! Just look at everyone who invested in baseball cards in the 80's and comic books in the 90's! They never lost any money!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Video games are a great investment! Just look at everyone who invested in baseball cards in the 80's and comic books in the 90's! They never lost any money!
    but the difference between sports cards/comics and video games is that with cards and comics, you see a piece of paper with pictures and writing on it and it sits on a shelf. You can't actually use them (except for putting in your bike spokes). Comics are like reading a short book, which you could easily get sick of reading over and over. Videogames have a challenge to them and good replay value. Look at how many people are still addicted to playing NES games just to play them. So being able to play them and have the actual copy of the game, in my opinion, has more value and demand than pieces of paper with pictures and writing on them. So even if the prices drop, the games are still fun to play and should be able to hold some form of value for many years to come.

Another reason why a lot of the values on these games went down also is because we have fully started a new generation of video game systems. Some people are spending less of thier time/money on the classics because they are into the 360/ps3/wii. Then with the new generation of systems comes a new generation of gamers who could find an interest in what games used to be like and creates another collector and drives the demand up. But then again I'm just kinda making an educated guess here. Now is the time to buy. In a year or two, I think will be the time to sell again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I'm concerned the games are worth as much as I paid for them. That's why to me, SMS Phantasy Star is 99 bucks. I wouldn't let it go for below that price.

Now would I buy it for 99 bucks again? Hell no
    Last edited by NE146; 03-09-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Ummm - I have complete Donruss and Topps sets from 1986-1989 I bought when I was in middle school (between 1986-89). Most cards from '87 on up really aren't worth shit. Infact, I can go to Target right now and buy a complete 1988 or 1989 donruss box for $10.

Baseball cards take alot longer to appreciate in value. There are only a few cards released during these years that are worth anything. At least I've still got my M. Mcguire, Ken Griffey Jr., and Barry Bonds rookies

And IMO, comics had their heyday in the late-70's thru mid-80's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel View Post
    It's good. I'm almost tempted to grab another copy of PSIV now, to play on my nomad Anyone know if the PAL version will work on a Nomad, or should I just grab a NTSC one?
    Im afraid it doesnt, i just checked for you... It comes up with the PAL/SECAM only screen...

Im currently trying to sell a Cart only USA/NTSC Genesis PhanStar4 in my eBay shop, its overpriced but if your interested im sure we can sort out a deal Ill knock a bit off for you Joel/get a trade going PM me!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Ummm - I have complete Donruss and Topps sets from 1986-1989 I bought when I was in middle school (between 1986-89). Most cards from '87 on up really aren't worth shit. Infact, I can go to Target right now and buy a complete 1988 or 1989 donruss box for $10.

Baseball cards take alot longer to appreciate in value. There are only a few cards released during these years that are worth anything. At least I've still got my M. Mcguire, Ken Griffey Jr., and Barry Bonds rookies

And IMO, comics had their heyday in the late-70's thru mid-80's.
    You might want to check your sarcasm detector...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

You might want to check your sarcasm detector...
    *bangs sarcasm detector*

Okay - it's working now

I had a vague feeling you were being sarcastic - I just wasn't sure...