Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Discovered a New Game Store - CGX

I live in South Florida, and was at the Wellington Green mall Friday night when I spotted a new video game store. Which is pretty weird because the only stores we have around here are GameStops and EBs. What was nice about this store however is that it carries old games. They sell all sorts of older systems including Atari, NES, SNES, Gamegear, 32X, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, N64, Dreamcast, and PSX. And of course there's all the newer stuff too.

According to the lady behind the counter they've only opened a week and a half ago, and that their other store is in Dalas. From what I could see their prices were average. The cart systems weren't priced, probably because the store's new. But I didn't see any great deals amongst the PSX era titles either. I walked out with Rise of the Dragon for $10 and was happy about it.

Decor was odd and the locations even stranger. Shelves were sparsely arranged, again may be because the place is new, but their was an ikea looking couch and tv set up at the front of the store all arranged in iMac colors. Very trendy. I also say the locations odd because the Wellington Mall is fairly upscale. New store turn around is high due to the rent. It also baffles me you'd go from Dalas to Wellington. o.O

But it's great to see a new store in the area. Has anyone ever been to the Dalas location?
    Last edited by Daria; 03-05-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sounds cool. I'd love to see pics or even a website link. :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There's around four scattered across Texas, but I've only been to the one in the Stonebriar Mall. It was a nice store. Not too many Atari/Colecovision/Intellivision games, but they had a decent selection of '90s console games. It's always nice to find a store that stocks Jaguar and Saturn games.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been to the Dallas location. It's amazing. They have all of these console boxes (I don't remember them at all except for an NES Action Set) though sadly, none of them are for sale. I asked about them, and the guy at the counter said that they were from the employees' collections. So it was an interesting place.

Prices left a bit to be desired IMO: They were selling an Atari 2600 for $70. Mind you, this was without any games - just the console. They had a TG-16 there with some official multicart for $50, which I passed on. Maybe I should have picked that one up, but then again, I didn't know how much they sold for on average.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CartCollector View Post
    Prices left a bit to be desired IMO: They were selling an Atari 2600 for $70. Mind you, this was without any games - just the console. They had a TG-16 there with some official multicart for $50, which I passed on. Maybe I should have picked that one up, but then again, I didn't know how much they sold for on average.
    $70 is pricey, but hey if you need a system ASAP.................oh yeah, I didn't know there where any tg-16 "official" multicarts (not to hijack the thread or anything)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I look at some stores as a one stop shop. They can't compete with a gamestop so there classics systems are higher than ebay but hey you get it now and you see what you get.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This store is where? I live down here in godforsaken collecting land of south florida too and haven't heard about it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CGX is a great store and the manager of the new one in Florida really knows his stuff. In fact, if you happen to meet him (his name is Shawn), tell him Darren says hi!
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    CGX is a great store and the manager of the new one in Florida really knows his stuff. In fact, if you happen to meet him (his name is Shawn), tell him Darren says hi!
    I met Shawn today. He's a fucking asshole.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I met Shawn today. He's a fucking asshole.
    aaaahahahahaha

elaborate.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been to a CGX before. I was on a band trip to Plano and we went to a nearby mall. After seeing wonderful(sarcasm) deals like:

Super Mario World for only $29.99!
    Final Fantasy (NES) for only $49.99!
    Final Fantasy III for only $79.99!
    and
    Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for $9.99!

I decided that anything I bought from this place would be a rip-off.
    This may have been the same CGX that CartCollector was talking about, the mall was called Oakbriar or something-briar I think.
    Oh it's Stonebriar, the one Steve W mentioned.
    The store had a good collection of games, they even had a few(way overpriced) Neo-Geo
    (the home console one) games.
    btw I love going up to the front counter of these stores and asking an employee "Do you have any Vectrex games?". That shows how much they actually know about video games.

CartCollector: about all those systems they have on the walls. I saw a top loader up there and I was ready to get a ladder. (It would probably cost me an arm and a leg if it were for sale. I'd probably have to get them my first born child also.)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    aaaahahahahaha

elaborate.
    Just rude.

I wanted to buy a Turbo Grafix and a game and he was uncooperative. He refused to sell me the system because it was missing a power cord, although I said didn't really care and wanted to buy it anyway. And then because he was rude I walked out without the game.

It's not the fact that I couldn't buy the system, but I couldn't get him to even talk to me about it. He hardly looked at me and much of the conversation was relayed through different employees. Again, he was just rude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just rude.

I wanted to buy a Turbo Grafix and a game and he was uncooperative. He refused to sell me the system because it was missing a power cord, although I said didn't really care and wanted to buy it anyway. And then because he was rude I walked out without the game.

It's not the fact that I couldn't buy the system, but I couldn't get him to even talk to me about it. He hardly looked at me and much of the conversation was relayed through different employees. Again, he was just rude.
    Maybe he's shy but does sound like a prick. Nothing better than wanting to spend money but they don't want to take it (even over a stupid power cable). They could always write on your receipt that no cord was included.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just rude.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound like Shawn at all, but unfortunately, I've lost contact with him since he moved from out there so I can't offer any insight into his current mood or mindset.

Not to try to defend him as I have no idea of exactly what transpired, but I do know that they won't sell incomplete systems. I've tried and failed just as you did. It is a store and they are there to make money, so selling an incomplete system just doesn't make financial sense and I'd certainly not hold that against the employees.

As for not talking to you, that's just plain weird knowing him. But given the time of year (right after Christmas) which is not exactly a fun time to be working retail in a mall, I can see anyone being a bit standoffish. Perhaps in your conversation about the system, he got the wrong impression about you and after dealing with countless last minute shoppers asking for things that have been long out of stock, he didn't want to chit chat.

I'm not trying to put this on you but it's easy to call someone an asshole when your side of the story is the only one being told. Maybe you should give them another chance after the holiday rush is over and things are more back to normal? <shrug>

I will agree with the other posters about the prices recently. There has been a dramatic shift upwards in the past few months. So much so that I rarely even visit the one here. I've still managed to find a few decent titles for cheap there, but if it's an A list title it will be high. It's really sad to see them go this way, but I guess when you're the only place around selling high end classics you can control the market.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are very overpriced, but they give good trade-in values on stuff. I only go pick up new stuff there.

You get like $10 trade in for Zelda's, Super Mario Worlds, adventure of link, $20 for Final Fantasy 1, and stuff like that. So I take all my $2 flea market finds in and can trade in like 5 games and get a new game.

I did get a few TG16 games: Y's 1 & 2, and Cosmic Fantasy for $29.99, and Trigger Heart Exelica and Karous for $59.99

All with cheap nes games traded in. So not too bad

I like the FX game exchanges in Waco, Hillsboro, Killeen better. They are a little better on price and they give good trade-in for crappy common ps1, dc, and other stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

are they going to open in California

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

It is a store and they are there to make money, so selling an incomplete system just doesn't make financial sense and I'd certainly not hold that against the employees.
    So how does a store make more money by not selling a system than it would by selling it? I'm not following your logic here.

Besides I wasn't there to chit-chat, I was there to spend some christmas money. And it looks like I'll be spending that money elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So how does a store make more money by not selling a system than it would by selling it? I'm not following your logic here.

Besides I wasn't there to chit-chat, I was there to spend some christmas money. And it looks like I'll be spending that money elsewhere.
    They could sell it to you, but wouldn't they have to sell it as non-working or at the least untested? Selling it like that would bring in less money than if they waited until they got the missing part and were able to then sell it as working. Pretty simple really.

Though I do have to ask... If you weren't there to chit chat, why are you upset that he wouldn't talk to you about the system? He told you it wasn't for sale because it was incomplete, not much to talk about there so being upset that he wouldn't talk to you seems to be a pretty weak reason to call someone an asshole.
    Last edited by 98PaceCar; 12-27-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Though I do have to ask... If you weren't there to chit chat, why are you upset that he wouldn't talk to you about the system? He told you it wasn't for sale because it was incomplete, not much to talk about there so being upset that he wouldn't talk to you seems to be a pretty weak reason to call someone an asshole.
    Yeah I guess there's not much to talk about. I'd ask a question, he'd say "no. It's not for sale" - usually to another employee and walk away. It's tough to conduct a sale like that. Oh right. He didn't sell anything. Wonder why? Besides why would he have to sell it to me as non-working? If he had been resonable and ya know, didn't blow me off, I attempted to explain I'd gladly pay for it "as is".

I'm annoyed again because I went into the store with the intention of giving them my money. Saw something I actually wanted. And was treated poorly. It's not a hard concept to understand and I'm sorry that you apparently just have rude friends.

But hey, maybe it wasn't your friend. Maybe your friend just hired a jackass for an assistant manager or third key. I dunno, the jerk didn't talk to me long enough to get his name.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-27-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I guess there's not much to talk about. I'd ask a question, he'd say "no. It's not for sale" - usually to another employee and walk away. It's tough to conduct a sale like that. Oh right. He didn't sell anything. Wonder why? Besides why would he have to sell it to me as non-working? If he had been resonable and ya know, didn't blow me off, I attempted to explain I'd gladly pay for it "as is".

I'm annoyed again because I went into the store with the intention of giving them my money. Saw something I actually wanted. And was treated poorly. It's not a hard concept to understand and I'm sorry that you apparently just have rude friends.

But hey, maybe it wasn't your friend. Maybe your friend just hired a jackass for an assistant manager or third key. I dunno, the jerk didn't talk to me long enough to get his name.
    There was no sale to conduct so getting upset about it and dragging someone through the mud (someone who isn't even here to defend themselves) is pretty poor form on your part.

Some things just aren't for sale regardless of whether or not you would take them as is or even how badly you might want them. Nobody there knew you, so they had no reason to believe that even if you would take it as is you wouldn't be back there in a few days bitching because it didn't work. I'm sorry you feel that they wronged you, but I assure you, no matter where you go, you can't have everything you want.

Ninja edit to remove my personal analysis... My opinions aren't the ones in question here and I was out of line to say what I did...