Thread: Pirates: Legend/Black Kat recommended?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pirates: Legend/Black Kat recommended?

I'm playing through Drakan: Ancient's Gates (PS2) again & learned about Pirates: Legend of Black Kat, which seems to be similar but w/ a, er- pirate theme. Lots of decent reviews on gamefaqs but what I read in the not-so-good reviews was enough to make me debate a purchase.

I know where to get it for ~$20. Worth it? Thanks for any feedback!

BTW- I'm NOT asking about Legend of the Black Buccaneer.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I passed on it a few weeks ago and kind of wish I hadn't after reading up on it a little bit. It's on the hit list, as is Drakan after finding out that it's a sequel to the PC game and not a port. Naturally, after I found out about that I couldn't find any copies locally, so now it's time to play the waiting game.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It's not a GREAT game, but it IS fun. It was one of those early XBox games I was playing when there wasn't much else to play on the console. Looking back, it's blasting the guns from the ship that's the most fun - the on-foot adventure stages is pretty generic stuff.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was gonna say it's a decent game too. 3D action adventure and a little puzzle in there. When at sea it kinda reminds me of shipwreckers for psx. I remember it looked pretty good when it came out, but haven't played it in a while so it may have aged a bit. I'd say it's worth $20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thx for the quick replies so far! I dont really mind dated graphics (though I did read in reviews it looked good for its time.) I'm actually more into 5+ yr old games right now anyway.

Its gamefaqs reviews are around 7/10 to a couple 10/10s, but I take a perfect score w/ a grain of salt.

Please keep any more info coming! I'm starting to lean toward buying this...
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Looking back, it's blasting the guns from the ship that's the most fun - the on-foot adventure stages is pretty generic stuff.
    Yeah the ship combat is what made the game fun. The adventure part includes mindlessly wandering around a small area of land looking for the hidden treasure (usually just a map to move on to the next area). Melee combat was a chore, but when you got to duke it out with another ship or a fort, it was great. Some notable ship to ship items include standard cannons, fire bombs, cannonball with chains attached to them (my personal favorite, and great for ripping apart your opponents sails), as well as a few others.

I only have it for the PS2, and it doesn't get much playtime anymore, but it's probably the best pirate themed game on the PS2 .

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of my favorite "flew under the radar" games. You play a female pirate named Black Kat. She sails in upgradable pirate ships, engages in ship to ship and ship to fortress battles, wanders islands for some great third person adventuring. Lots of questing, lots of collecting. Real time sword fighting. It's a great game in the lighter vein. Highly recommended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kinda off-topic, has anyone played Galleon for Xbox? I just saw a copy for sale at Blockbuster the other day for $10 but passed because I didn't know anything about it. Looked kind of like the same style as Pirates! & Black Kat though. Published by Atlus too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy Pirates the Legend of Black Kat very much, especially the ship battles. I originally had the Xbox version, then I also got the PS2 one when my Xbox stopped reading discs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great! I think I'll wait a week to see if my interest drops, & pick it up if I still want it.

BTW- IIRC reviews werent so nice to XBOX Galleon (though I never played it), one of those "supposed to be great, but wasnt so" things. Likely worth $10 though. I know if I saw Black Kat for $10 I'd snap it up today.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-10-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have Pirates Legend of Black Kat and I didn't enjoy it myself. The ship combat was fine but the land based stuff was so lame that I found myself bored quite quickly. I've been looking for Galleon myself though...not sure how that one is.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to agree with most people here in that overall the game is average with the sea battles being more enjoyable than the land action. With that said, this game holds a special place in my gaming life.

When you pick up a health pack (a big jug of beer), the hero exclaims in a "so bad, it's good" voice-over, "Mmmmm, grog." For some reason that comment caught my old roomate and I in a particularly weird mood and has stuck in our vocabulary since.

Whenever we are playing a game and pick up a health pack, someone inevitably says "Mmmm, grog." Could be a turkey leg / med kit / apple, doesn't matter... To this day, it's all grog.

For $20 I would say pull the trigger.
    Caius11
    Video Game Bard
    "Dude, knock it off, it stinks"

My Collection