Thread: This Is Hilarious (bad liar)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default This Is Hilarious (bad liar)

If you're going to post the same itme twice oc Craigslist, you should try to get your lies right both times.

Original NES for SALE. - $100

Recently I broke up from my girlfriend. Just recently she brought back my NES I left at her house 2 years ago. It was put in a box and placed in her closet so it looks great! I plugged it in and it worked fine (mind you, I had to 'blow in it') just like I remembered. With this you get: 2 controllers, gun, Original Mario bros/duck hunt, Tiny toons, Super Mario 3, MLB, Super Mario Bros 2, Mega Man 2, Yoshi, Legend of Zelda, The adventures of Link. Overall, it is a sweet stash; I just don't have the need for it (I have a wii, DS, and Gamecube.) I am open for offers, but I think that the price is reasonable considering the availibility, quality, and quantity in this purchase.

and then a few days later...

Original NES for SALE. - $90

While cleaning out my room I found my old NES. Works great, looks excellent. I just forgot I had it. With this you get: 2 controllers, gun, Original Mario bros/duck hunt, Tiny toons, Super Mario 3, MLB, Super Mario Bros 2, Mega Man 2, Yoshi, Legend of Zelda, The adventures of Link. Overall, it is a sweet stash; I just don't have the need for it (I have a wii, DS, and Gamecube.) I am open for offers, but I think that the price is reasonable considering the availibility, quality, and quantity in this purchase.
    Last edited by Cambot; 03-08-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's always funny when people 'embelish" the truth in order to make an add sound interesting, not realizing it's totally lame

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Give it a couple more days and it'll be $80.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I can't remember where I read it, but there's honestly something to putting a story to what you're trying to sell that not only gives the seller authenticity (even if the story is complete BS) but makes the buyer feel better about paying a little extra.

Still, the key is not to make it so obvious you're embellishing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm not totally against it if a seller wants to fabricate a story to explain where he got what he's selling. As long as it comes as it was described. Generally a seller will get more attention if their ad is entertaining.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's not really a lie more than it's just a story embellishment. They didn't want to go through the whole thing with the ex-girlfriend again, which is understandable. It was still in a closet.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I say, if you're going to make up a story, at least make it interesting. That was about 1 minute of my life I can't get back.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    I say, if you're going to make up a story, at least make it interesting. That was about 1 minute of my life I can't get back.
    QFT

I mean I won't lie if somebody had a box full of E.T. carts and sold them saying that they were from the landfill in New Mexico. I might by them just, because the person is being creative.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

He tried to copy & paste his original post. Craigslist rejected it because "there is another post too similar to this one". He changed it enough to get it to post again.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage View Post
    That's not really a lie more than it's just a story embellishment. They didn't want to go through the whole thing with the ex-girlfriend again, which is understandable. It was still in a closet.
    It seems like "personal misfortune or life change" is a popular idea when selling stuff. A co-worker of mine drove his new sports car off the road, and after getting the obvious problems fixed he wanted to get rid of it as it wasn't the same after. He advertised it in a Auto Trade newspaper saying "selling....getting married". He quickly became the butt of jokes, with people asking him "when's the marriage" and "are you marrying a sheep " since there was no lady involved with him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's where VINs are important, seeing just recently this personal totaled the vehicle. Did it sell and if so what did the buyer say? Would have been hilarious to get someone he didn't know to attempt to buy the car and ask him about his "relationship".

I believe DeputyMoniker is right about it being similar. I could see CL being touchy about people spamming an ad.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Did it sell and if so what did the buyer say? Would have been hilarious to get someone he didn't know to attempt to buy the car and ask him about his "relationship".
    This was a long time ago, I'm pretty sure that he eventually just traded the car into a dealership, who knew of the accident.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, funny stuff

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post
    If you're going to post the same itme twice oc Craigslist, you should try to get your lies right both times.

Original NES for SALE. - $100

Recently I broke up from my girlfriend. Just recently she brought back my NES I left at her house 2 years ago. It was put in a box and placed in her closet so it looks great! I plugged it in and it worked fine (mind you, I had to 'blow in it') just like I remembered. With this you get: 2 controllers, gun, Original Mario bros/duck hunt, Tiny toons, Super Mario 3, MLB, Super Mario Bros 2, Mega Man 2, Yoshi, Legend of Zelda, The adventures of Link. Overall, it is a sweet stash; I just don't have the need for it (I have a wii, DS, and Gamecube.) I am open for offers, but I think that the price is reasonable considering the availibility, quality, and quantity in this purchase.

and then a few days later...

Original NES for SALE. - $90

While cleaning out my room I found my old NES. Works great, looks excellent. I just forgot I had it. With this you get: 2 controllers, gun, Original Mario bros/duck hunt, Tiny toons, Super Mario 3, MLB, Super Mario Bros 2, Mega Man 2, Yoshi, Legend of Zelda, The adventures of Link. Overall, it is a sweet stash; I just don't have the need for it (I have a wii, DS, and Gamecube.) I am open for offers, but I think that the price is reasonable considering the availibility, quality, and quantity in this purchase.
    The primary thing wrong with the ad is not the actual story (or stories). The price will scare most people away. You could get the same setup in an average game store for a better price than that and at least get a receipt in case it doesn't work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theshizzle3000 View Post
    QFT

I mean I won't lie if somebody had a box full of E.T. carts and sold them saying that they were from the landfill in New Mexico. I might by them just, because the person is being creative.
    But on the other hand, the seller is lying to you, because i'm very certain that all those games were destroyed first.
    I wouldn't buy it anyway...