Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The story so far on Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The story so far on Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gdc07/gdc07...ing-242776.php

It may have been lost in the news yesterday, but right after the Microsoft Blogger Breakfast I cornered Chris Satchell to ask him about the future of the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility.

He said that Microsoft still has a team working on it, but that they won't continue to do so forever.

"At some point we're going to focus less on it," he said. "When you get to the end of this year there will be a reduced focus on backwards compatibility. There are so many 360 games out there. I don't know if it's important anymore."

So that now leaves the Wii as the only console that seems to keep that as an important feature. Is it? Brian Crecente
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 03-09-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

There's nothing that implies any time line, let alone anything that would lead you to believe it is happening "soon".

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not going to debate that, bad name for the topic
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 03-09-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-24-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

More than likely, Microsoft can't see a business case for continuing to pay the salaries of programmers to increase the list of compatible games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by R-21 View Post
    "So that now leaves the Wii as the only console that seems to keep that as an important feature. Is it? Brian Crecente"

Yes, because apparently the PS3 doesn't exist in this world.
    Europeean PS3s have software only backwards compatibility. Far less support then the US PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't have a big problem with this. I never expected EVERY original Xbox game to be compatible. I mean, is everyone going to get up in arms because they can't play their old copy of Barbie Horse Adventures on their 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I admit to being frustrated by this. I had all three consoles last generation, and purchased the XB version often due to the superior visuals. Now, in order to eliminate clutter, I've gotten rid of my original XB. What does this mean? It means I regret having bought XB games and not buying the PS2 version. I have a PS3, and its plays everything with no problems. Long term problem? No. Short term frustration? Hell yes.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That stinks....well no 2D fighters will make it for sure now Thanks Microsoft, ya green case lovin' bastards...

I still wish I could play Silent Hill 2 again...or Metal Gear Solid 2....or Return to Castle Wolfenstien..oh well, I guess it's for the better.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I really don't have a big problem with this. I never expected EVERY original Xbox game to be compatible. I mean, is everyone going to get up in arms because they can't play their old copy of Barbie Horse Adventures on their 360?
    Well, actually Barbie Horse Adventures _is_ one of the compatible games, which is a bit of a noodle-scratcher.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't care.

Halo
    Halo 2
    San Andreas
    Ninja Gaiden Black
    Shenmue II

Works already and thats the only BC games I own and care about playing on the 360.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    Well, actually Barbie Horse Adventures _is_ one of the compatible games, which is a bit of a noodle-scratcher.
    There are lots of games that are programmed similarly and when they are working out the emulators they try out all kinds of games. Sometimes it only takes a few tweaks to make a game work when that inital emulator was designed for some totally different game.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    I admit to being frustrated by this. I had all three consoles last generation, and purchased the XB version often due to the superior visuals.
    I'm in the same boat. While I haven't ditched my original Xbox, easily 50% of my games are not yet backwards compatible. Since last year, I've been picking up the PS2 versions and selling my Xbox versions just so I can play them...but usually the PS2 version ends up looking and playing terrible. I still hate the analog stick placement on the PS2 controller. C'mon Microsoft...give us a B/C update with Mercenaries at least.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or atleast with one good 2d fighter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnFan View Post
    I really don't care.

Halo
    Halo 2
    San Andreas
    Ninja Gaiden Black
    Shenmue II

Works already and thats the only BC games I own and care about playing on the 360.
    Unfortunately, not everyone is you.

I won't be happy until OutRun 2, Orta, Chronicles of Riddick, D&D Heroes, and a few others are compatible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I'm in the same boat...easily 50% of my games are not yet backwards compatible.
    The majority of gamers these days don't spend up to $600 on a new video game console so that they can play the same old games they've been playing for the past five years on machines they already have. They spend up to $600 so that they can play new games.

If you want to play your old games, just keep your old consoles. That way, the games are guaranteed to work.

Besides, time has not been kind to all but a handful of games. Trust me; go back and play Triple Play '98, Magic Carpet, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Flintstone's Bowling, MediEvil, Mega Man Legends, Bushido Blade, Outlaw Golf, Blood Wake, or Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. You'll wonder how you sat through most games. Even best-sellers like Final Fantasy VII or Metal Gear Solid look and feel crusty compared to some other timeless classics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The majority of gamers these days don't spend up to $600 on a new video game console so that they can play the same old games they've been playing for the past five years on machines they already have. They spend up to $600 so that they can play new games.

If you want to play your old games, just keep your old consoles. That way, the games are guaranteed to work.

Besides, time has not been kind to all but a handful of games. Trust me; go back and play Triple Play '98, Magic Carpet, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Flintstone's Bowling, MediEvil, Mega Man Legends, Bushido Blade, Outlaw Golf, Blood Wake, or Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. You'll wonder how you sat through most games. Even best-sellers like Final Fantasy VII or Metal Gear Solid look and feel crusty compared to some other timeless classics.
    Do I really even need to qualify these statements with a friendly response? SIGH. Ok, I'll be nice--cause I've done this before. Let me remind you YOU'RE ARE ON A CLASSIC GAMING FORUM. Many us still play with our Atari 2600 and Colecovision--let alone all the games you've mentioned. Sure, some haven't aged as well as others--but that is not the discussion we're having. We're talking about XB games that came out in the last five years---with some as recent as last year. These hardly qualify as "crusty." To even say that the original Metal Gear Solid plays crustily (is that a word?) honestly tells me you might be on the wrong forum. Let me point you in the right way... http://www.gamefaqs.com. Oops, that wasn't nice.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't use 360 for Xbox games very much but I do enjoy using it for that occasionally. Halo 2 in 720p 16:9 is pretty awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many us still play with our Atari 2600 and Colecovision--let alone all the games you've mentioned. Sure, some haven't aged as well as others--but that is not the discussion we're having. We're talking about XB games that came out in the last five years---with some as recent as last year. These hardly qualify as "crusty." To even say that the original Metal Gear Solid plays crustily (is that a word?) honestly tells me you might be on the wrong forum.
    The reality is that we classic gamers are in the minority. Most people spend hundreds of dollars on new consoles to play new games. The top video game manufacturers know this.

I know that not all of my favorite Atari 2600, NES, SNES, etc. games will be perfectly emulated or even emulated at all. That's why I still have some of my old consoles. That way, I can play them whenever I want.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Well as far as Retro gamers are concerned i think you just made a key point.

Do I really even need to qualify these statements with a friendly response? SIGH. Ok, I'll be nice--cause I've done this before. Let me remind you YOU'RE ARE ON A CLASSIC GAMING FORUM. Many us still play with our Atari 2600 and Colecovision--let alone all the games you've mentioned.
    We still play with out 2600s and Colecovisions. WITH THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM. We don't go gaga over things like Atari Anthology. I mean sure we like it, but a retro gamer strives for the ORIGINAL GAME ON THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM so that we can have the ORIGINAL EXPERIENCE.

Why do you think i own a Pong? Hell i can play that on everything down to a graphing calcuator, but the fact is as a retro game we don't just want retro games on new systems, we want the original as it was intended.

And really how many of you actually use your new system for playing older games? At least after you a ways into the next generation. I rarely use my PS2 for PSX games and while yes my Wii is subbing for my GC, i don't actually use it to play many Wii games in reality it's not really anything more then a GC.