Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Can someone take 'Giznod' out of the topic title? Everytime I see it I want to puch the computer screen for displaying such a retarded word.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    With today's level of graphics, do games even use FMV anymore? If so, why?
    Many games today use FMV of scenes made using the in-game engine converted to video. Gears of War does this, and the demo of Ratchet does it as well. It allows you to have cutscenes and not have to load the game engine to play them. Sometimes (like Gears) they are really noticeable if the are encoded in a low resolution
    Xbox Live: Ikari Warrior
    PSN: IkariWarrior

My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/jaysweet99
    My theater: http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7596262

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Anybody seen the Ratchet and Clank screenshots in the April EGM? I just got my issue today, and I must say, if those pics are real......those can't be real....can they?

Looks like an Xbox game to me.
    Last edited by VGfan; 10-25-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Can someone take 'Giznod' out of the topic title? Everytime I see it I want to puch the computer screen for displaying such a retarded word.
    I'll second that.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

uhhhh...

Troll much?
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VGfan View Post
    If you're serious about this then you havnt seen much, or anything other than the pics in the first post that you quoted from Ratchet & Clank for PS3. Those pics in the first post that you quotet are months old, small in size so they dont justify or show how good the final version of the game really looks. Go to www.gametrailers.com and check out some videos. If you can find a Xbox games that look good you must let me know :P
    Last edited by jajaja; 10-25-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior View Post
    Many games today use FMV of scenes made using the in-game engine converted to video. Gears of War does this, and the demo of Ratchet does it as well. It allows you to have cutscenes and not have to load the game engine to play them. Sometimes (like Gears) they are really noticeable if the are encoded in a low resolution
    Resident Evil 4 did that as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by studvicious View Post
    Resident Evil 4 did that as well.
    In the GameCube version of Resident Evil 4, all of the cut scenes were real-time. Later, in the PlayStation 2 and computer versions, the real-time cut scenes were converted to FMV. Finally, in the Wii version, the cut scenes are rendered in real time again.

According to IGN.com:

"The Wii iteration is based on the initial graphics from the GCN build, not the PS2 one. That means that cut-scenes use the real-time game engine and that the added lighting and water transparency effects from the GameCube version are in the Wii port. In addition, the Wii incarnation boasts the true 16:9 widescreen mode of the PS2 title, which means that it's really a combination - the best of both worlds."

FMV has disadvantages. According to Wikipedia's Resident Evil 4 entry:

"Almost all of the GameCube's real-time cut scenes were converted to FMV on the PS2. The characters will appear wearing their default costumes, regardless of which accessories or outfits were actually chosen."

That would ruin the game for me.

Anyway, a game like Resident Evil 4's graphics are so good that FMV is pointless...so why do some developers still use it?
    Last edited by Rob2600; 10-25-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    If you're serious about this then you havnt seen much, or anything other than the pics in the first post that you quoted from Ratchet & Clank for PS3. Those pics in the first post that you quotet are months old, small in size so they dont justify or show how good the final version of the game really looks. Go to www.gametrailers.com and check out some videos. If you can find a Xbox games that look good you must let me know :P
    I was only commenting on the pictures that the topic creater praised.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Give me a freaking break. Look, I loved the Xbox 1 just as much as the next guy, but no way in hell the Xbox 1 could achieve anything like that. Also, those scans from a magazine, certainly don't give an accurate depiction of what I was really seeing. I linked to some crappy images, the only ones I could find, the original ones got taken down. But believe me, when I first got that issue of EGM, and saw those pics of Ratchet and Clank, I was totally amazed. I honestly didn't think they would be able to tap the power the PS3 this quick.

Now in hindsight, the reality might not be quite as amazing as seeing those first few screenshots in EGM, but the game still looks absolutely gorgeous. There is a bit of tearing and other minor graphical issues, but for the most part, playing Ratchet is like playing the equivalent of 75 percent of the quality of a pixar movie. That's freaking saying something.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my Giznod jumpin Gizzarooni!!! Wait a minute the xbox produced ninja gaiden black!!!! A game that can still can hold its own with the next gen releases ha ha ha.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Wait a minute the xbox produced ninja gaiden black!!!! A game that can still can hold its own with the next gen releases
    Yes, several GameCube and Xbox games still look great compared to the current generation of games.

I just watched some Ratchet and Clank videos on GameTrailers.com and the game looks good. Some of the levels look a bit generic and bland in their design/art direction (what's with all the crates?), but other levels look impressive. It's a mixed bag creativity-wise, but overall the game has high production values and seems quite polished.

I also just watched some Super Mario Galaxy videos on GameTrailers.com and it looks good, too. Like Ratchet and Clank, it has high production values and seems polished, but for me, the creativity, originality, and art direction in Super Mario Galaxy is much more enticing and exciting.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 10-25-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The bug that keeps you from playing says more about how desperate sony is then they'd like to admit.

Playing around with hard drive space is one of the test they run for certification. Obviously this game was rubber stamped through Cert in order to get *something* on the shelves for Christmas.

As much as i like Sony, they seem to be running scared right now...

Ninja Gaiden Black can't hold a candle to this game, but if you want an xbox game that looks better, go find Chronicles of Riddick or Scrapland (yes, Scrapland. Look, just trust me)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    The bug that keeps you from playing says more about how desperate sony is then they'd like to admit.

Playing around with hard drive space is one of the test they run for certification. Obviously this game was rubber stamped through Cert in order to get *something* on the shelves for Christmas.

As much as i like Sony, they seem to be running scared right now...

Ninja Gaiden Black can't hold a candle to this game, but if you want an xbox game that looks better, go find Chronicles of Riddick or Scrapland (yes, Scrapland. Look, just trust me)...
    An xbox game that looks better than this? Either you welded without a visor when you were young, or you haven't played the game.

I've had my ps3 for a long while now, and I have nothing but good things to say about the console itself, but the library of games is sorely lacking. I own 40+ 360 games, and....6 ps3 games.

With that said, R&C Future is the game that kept my ps3 from being boxed up. I'm not even a huge fan of the R&C series, played the first one, liked it, but didn't play the others in the series. This game is gorgeous, and fun as hell. I've fallen off the map more times than I care to count just because I was taking everything in visually.
    Last edited by ZiLL; 10-26-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am sorry I played both the demo and the finished product and this game is NOT in any way shape or form mind blowing... sorry, not to bash the ps3, the game looks ok, but it is in no way a masterpiece of graphic art, the game plays well and has alot going on at once, but nothing more nothing less. I don't beleive that any developer right now is taking advantage of the system and thus delivering a mind altering experience as the ps3 has over hyped and under delivered thusfar. Again, not to bash the ps3, I own one and its ok, but its NOT there Yet. and R&C, doesn't deliver a 9 yet... the gameplay is nice yes, but the graphics meh....... 8.2
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was only commenting on the pictures that the topic creater praised.
    Ok, kinda thought so. As said, go to www.gametrailers.com (or other gaming sites) and see in-game videos instead. It looks much better

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZiLL View Post
    An xbox game that looks better than this? Either you welded without a visor when you were young, or you haven't played the game.

I've had my ps3 for a long while now, and I have nothing but good things to say about the console itself, but the library of games is sorely lacking. I own 40+ 360 games, and....6 ps3 games.

With that said, R&C Future is the game that kept my ps3 from being boxed up. I'm not even a huge fan of the R&C series, played the first one, liked it, but didn't play the others in the series. This game is gorgeous, and fun as hell. I've fallen off the map more times than I care to count just because I was taking everything in visually.
    What sort of display (TV) are you using? I suppose it's an eye of the beholder sort of thing but as a platformer this is unmatched, Kameo might be the closest competitor...

How would you compare it to other PS3 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this up yeaterday and I must say that this is the best game on ps3 (that isnt a port), and it might just be the best looking game I have ever played, however in terms of graphics its on a different level altogether since it uses a cartoon type style, nothing like gears of war's gritty graphics.

I really cant remember the last time I had this much fun on a platformer, the worlds are so expansive and colorful, I guess it feels the same way the first time I played the original jak and daxter. Upgrading weapons is alot of fun, you really feel the progress in a gun as its being upgraded to its full potential. I am bout 5 hours in and its not getting old at all, I am trying not to rush through it so that I may savor every last minute of it.

Bottom line, if you own a ps3 you MUST own this game.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    What sort of display (TV) are you using? I suppose it's an eye of the beholder sort of thing but as a platformer this is unmatched, Kameo might be the closest competitor...

How would you compare it to other PS3 games?
    Using a 42" Plasma, PS3 hooked up via HDMI.

This is the only type of ps3 game I have with this style of graphics, but compared to similar games on other consoles, this one is graphically superior in just about every way. As far as overall game quality, this is the best the ps3 has to offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My nefpew has a problem playing this game on the PS3. it won't boot up for him.The HDD is 44GB, but it's saying low on memory