Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great South Florida Thread

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was in Miami about fix or six months ago visiting a friend. He took me to a pawn shop with a massive amount of Genesis, NES, SNES games. He even had a decent selection of Saturn and Dreamcast games, I couldnt tell you the name or location though. Since I am not familiar with the area at all and it was the first time I was down there. I will email my friend though and ask him what the name and address of the pawn shop was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

That would be great, I'm not too familiar with Miami, but if it's around the way I'd love to hit it up.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0) jetset516's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, maybe I should start hanging out here more. I'm a barfly over at Atari Age, mostly because...well just because and to devote time to another board is probablly not a good idea. I mostly lurk the marketplace and 99% of my posts are "PM sent", and "YGPM"
    BUT, I live in hollywood and it's true, South Florida SUCKS for classic gaming. I've been to just about every placed named in this thread.
    The American Thrift on Hollywood blvd has had some Atari stuff, but WAY overpriced...the Goodwill next door I've only ever seen 2 instr manuals, Outlaw and Combat.
    forget Salvation Army, particularly the one on University and Johnson. I work right by there, and they have zip, nada, nothing. they seem to be selling one of 2 things; used clothing and high end trinkets. No electronics period.
    The swap shopis your best bet, but only in the garage sale section. I picked up a (somewhat) working Lynx with Paperboy 2 wks ago for $3 bucks. The screen is garbled and pretty much not worth playing, so I gave away the Paperboy to a bud at AA and the Lynx is now collecting dust. Still, it was exciting for about 10 minutes that I made a "find".
    Dont bother with the putz who had the little store. He's the eppitomal rip off. First time I saw his booth it caught my eye b/c he had an NES Final Fantasy. He wanted $30 bucks, and at the time boxed w/instr they were at most $20-$25 on ebay. I told him that and he got enraged. He showed me this piece of torn cardboard with illegible writing, something about "NES joemac $27.00", and "super mario2 $40" and such...says thats what these carts go for on Ebay at which point I thanked him for selling his games for so cheap in the 99 degree florida heat when he could be getting twice that from the air conditioned comfort of his home.
    I dont know why, he seemed to not like that and told me to F! off.
    Anyways, if there ever is a garage sale drive or swap meet I'd like to tag along. Although I can just picture a bunch of us actually stumbling on a find at one of the places and fistfighting over it !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, if any of you guys are interested I want to plan a road trip to Miami sometime in late September, theres like 6 flea markets over there and I am going to be doing some research on thrift stores and pawn shops, if anyone is interested let me know, just send me a PM with your AIM username or email and I'll keep in touch with ya and we can figure out a day and time this will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Niiiiice. Yeah, that SA on johnson is a complete waste of time.

Only a couple of things to report in all this time.

Friend of mine lives in orlando. Went to goodwill with his wife as he is want to do and found a saturn with all the cabling and two controllers, otherwise bare, for $20. Since they are 100% non-existent down here, I told him to grab it for me. So, I've now got a saturn.

Went to the goodwill in Skylake with my girlfriend, 18th and Miami Gardens Dr. Trying to get her in the hobby as she's a total gamer herself. Found 4 CIB Master System games: World Grand Prix, Teddy Boy(Card game), Hang-On/Safari Hunt, and Ghostbusters. WGP is a 3 in the guide, the others 1s, but these are the first SMS games I've *ever* found in the wild outside of fleas.

Still, nice finds for not really trying.

BTW, penguin, PM Sent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, updates on locations and finds...

Sunday my gf and her best friend were supposed to hit up the swap shop but we got rained out. That's ok. Bira Bira smiled upon me today...

First, the thrift mall in Hialeah is now down to 2 viable stores. The Think Thrift has closed. Only the Red White and Blue and the Community Family Thrift store are still open.

Got bored on my day off today so I stopped into these two stores.

At the RW&B I found sweetness in the form of a Sears Video Arcade rev B and a Sears Super Video Arcade (2600 & Intelivsion, sweeeeet). I don't collect for these but I couldn't let them stay there. There was some douchebag walking around with his friend saying how he loves raping thrifts for video games to toss on ebay. Cause, ya know, retro gaming gear is such an uber rare find and go for sooooo much money...

No way in hell was I going to let these things be touched by that douchebag. I may not collect the systems, but I'll be goddamned if I'll let them be grabbed up by some asshole who'll mistreat them and try to sucker some unsuspecting newbie to collecting into over paying for them cause they're soooooo rare and valuable and shit.

Fuck that.

Next door at Community, I found a shoe box of GB stuff. 2 color units and an original clear-tint GBA for 9.99 each. I grabbed the GBA and left behind all the barbie and bratz games that were in there. The GB Camera was also in there, so I popped it into the GBA and tested it out. 30 pics of some 12 year old little girl making faces. I put it back cause it made me feel like a pedophile or some shit.

Also found the Saturn NetLink disc in that huge pile of CDs that always seem to collect. That's a find for me since I'm now a 100% sega guy.

Anyway, how's the hunting for you guys?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Swap Shop blows you didn't miss anything.

They have a big video game store there set up in a permanent trailer, but everything's way over priced and they have computers set up to refer to ebay for pricing.

I asked the lady there how much their older games were and she replied that Mario and collector games start at $20. I asked her what collector games were exactly and she told me quote, unquote, "games people want."

The buisness appears to be operated by a large Spanish family and I'm convinced that her kids scour the rest of the Flea Market for videogames in the mornings, bringing everything back to this overpriced "hub".

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Swap Shop blows you didn't miss anything.

They have a big video game store there set up in a permanent trailer, but everything's way over priced and they have computers set up to refer to ebay for pricing.

I asked the lady there how much their older games were and she replied that Mario and collector games start at $20. I asked her what collector games were exactly and she told me quote, unquote, "games people want."

The buisness appears to be operated by a large Spanish family and I'm convinced that her kids scour the rest of the Flea Market for videogames in the mornings, bringing everything back to this overpriced "hub".
    , I always pass by that booth. The guy who operates it pisses me off. I asked him the price of NES games at one point and he goes $5 each. As soon as I started to pick up good games, hes like oh....thats a good game 15 for that or 25 for that. He wants insane prices for everything, even sports games. He's always changing his prices with me because he knows I love collecting. I stopped buying from him now unless he has an empty console box I need.

You could still find some good items at the swap shop though. For example, I got a vectrex with 4 games and all the manuals for $40 bux, a virtual boy complete in box with manuals and such for $35, a QJ game action replay (NES) for $3 and its boxed.

As for the The American Thrift on Hollywood blvd, I think Ive seen the same atari items that the previous poster saw hehe. I believe they also have 2 telstar consoles. They will never sell any of the gaming items they have. They wanted $100 for a regular atari 2600. It wasn't even a heavy sixer.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrosport View Post
    You could still find some good items at the swap shop though. For example, I got a vectrex with 4 games and all the manuals for $40 bux, a virtual boy complete in box with manuals and such for $35, a QJ game action replay (NES) for $3 and its boxed.
    I live in West Palm, the hour drive it takes to even get to the Swap Shop isn't worth the gamble for me. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I live in West Palm, the hour drive it takes to even get to the Swap Shop isn't worth the gamble for me. :/
    Welcome to the Classic Gaming Wasteland that is otherwise known as Palm Beach County.

I quit going to the flea markets locally several years ago. Nothing but NES commons that are way overpriced. I have had much better luck going North for flea markets and thrift stores.
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got back from the swap shop. I got 19 genesis games in their original boxes and they still had the booklets inside. They're almost in perfect condition. I paid $22 for them all. I also bought 10 nes games for 10 bux and an empty x-box box and mini snes box for 5 bux.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I just got back from the swap shop. I got 19 genesis games in their original boxes and they still had the booklets inside. They're almost in perfect condition. I paid $22 for them all. I also bought 10 nes games for 10 bux and an empty x-box box and mini snes box for 5 bux.
    Cool. What Genesis games did you get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic the hedgehog 3
    ecco the dolphin
    castle of illusions
    batman returns
    rocket knight advenures
    roar of the beast
    the lion king
    aladdin
    nba live 97
    sonic 3d blast
    bulls VS blazers
    x-men
    golden axe II
    sonic the hedgehog
    spider man x-men
    quackshot
    krusty's super fun house
    batman forever
    jurassic park

Not bad for a dollar and a couple cents each especially since they're all complete
    By the way, I forgot to mention that I got a virtual boy for $3. It works but its missing the power source and eye shade. I guess I can use it as a spare.
    Last edited by Nitrosport; 11-23-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm glad to see I'm not the only Hollywood bound person that can't find anything, well it's also pretty depressing at the same time. Hollywood Thrift is alright if you want to find a old console, I'd hit them up if I need a replacement Dreamcast. The Salvation Army always has one or two Genesis games and they've seemed to have really slimmed down on their CD section, which is a shame since they sometimes had a few odd gems there.

Also, avoid the pawnshow that's on Young Circle, the owner is a E-Bay Nazi and I've seen games with their original $9.99 price crossed off and replaced with $65.00. I wanted to get into an argument with the guy after he said "It's the e-bay price" and mention the E-Bay price for the loose CDs he had would be no more than fifty cents, no the $10 they try to sell some of them for.

Other than that, the few other pawnshops I've hit mostly had Dreamcast consoles with no wires, so at least I know of a few places to get one from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only Hollywood bound person that can't find anything, well it's also pretty depressing at the same time. Hollywood Thrift is alright if you want to find a old console, I'd hit them up if I need a replacement Dreamcast. The Salvation Army always has one or two Genesis games and they've seemed to have really slimmed down on their CD section, which is a shame since they sometimes had a few odd gems there.

Also, avoid the pawnshow that's on Young Circle, the owner is a E-Bay Nazi and I've seen games with their original $9.99 price crossed off and replaced with $65.00. I wanted to get into an argument with the guy after he said "It's the e-bay price" and mention the E-Bay price for the loose CDs he had would be no more than fifty cents, no the $10 they try to sell some of them for.

Other than that, the few other pawnshops I've hit mostly had Dreamcast consoles with no wires, so at least I know of a few places to get one from.
    What place are you talking about on young circle? I don't remember seeing a game store there. Im just curious about the location.

441 is loaded with pawn shops. I've had some luck finding games and consoles in some of them. I paid a short visit to the goodwill on the corner of Hollywood Blvd and 441. The only game related item they had was the pedals from a steering wheel set.

You should check out the gamestop in the Hollywood Hills plaza. The address is 3251 Hollywood Blvd. The phone number is 954-985-6506. It's in the same shopping center as Target. My connections there tell me they will be putting out a shit load of ps1 and n64 games for 75% off. It should be within the next few weeks. On top of the 75% off, you can get another 10% off with a discount card. I will let you guys know when they put them out. They have hundreds of them sitting in the back room for liquidation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was over in Fort Lauderdale a few weeks ago and scored a few good deals at the Swap Shop, Got a NES top loader with a max controller and dogbone for $40, and Megaman and Zelda carts for $2 each.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jetset516's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bit of an update...a new Goodwill opened on Taft St. in Hollywood. About 2 weeks ago and I've been checking every other day. No gaming stuff whatsoever. The first day I went there was a Tetris 2 for the SNES, and a SNES controller, each for 2 bucks. I went back 2 days later and someone had bought them (not that either was anything I wanted)
    Yet another dry spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where exactly is Hollywood Thrift? Also, this new one on Taft, what Ave?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

It's on Hollywood and 441, across the highway from the joke that was Millennium Mall. I actually need to go check them out now that my car is *finally* running smoothly. I usually stop by a few places once a month, but haven't for almost 6 months.

What place are you talking about on young circle? I don't remember seeing a game store there. Im just curious about the location.
    It's not a game store, it's a pawn shop and I haven't bothered going back there since. I really wish something good would open up where CD City use to be, now that was an awesome place to go for games and music.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

I think it's all of florida. I go to jacksonville fleas on the regular and hardly ever find ANYTHING unless it's at a dealers booth. Same with the thrifts, seems if they have something good the give me the ol it's $X on ebay bs.