Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great South Florida Thread

Insert Coin (Level 0) jetset516's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Where exactly is Hollywood Thrift? Also, this new one on Taft, what Ave?
    Um....Taft and...68th maybe (I only drive down that road every single day lol you'd think I would know!)
    There is a Publix shopping ctr there...I'll dbl check the exact street tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So...down the street from the flippers they do RHPS at. Gotcha. I used to live right on Taft and 75th so I know the street pretty well. Been forever since I've been down there though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So...down the street from the flippers they do RHPS at. Gotcha. I used to live right on Taft and 75th so I know the street pretty well. Been forever since I've been down there though.
    Yes, it's actually that very same shopping center, on the east end (where Publix used to be YEARS ago before they moved to the middle of the ctr.)
    ...And I've gone about 3 more times since my last post. Still no gaming stuff at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey did get a decent deal from the new Goodwill. A working N64 with one (N64) controller and a PS1 controller all for $10. Nothing spectacular, plus I already have two N64's that I never play...but it was a good enough buy that I had to snag it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Movie Gallery across the street from me was closing, picked up a sealed Bomberman and Iceclimbers classic NES series for the GBA for $5 each, and got Dead or Alive Ultimate for $5. Also the local Family Thrift I got a bare NES toaster for $1 and Techmo Bowl and Goal! for $2 each (loose carts).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

My friends Grandfather does the whole dumpster diving thing and sometimes scores some cool things. A couple of months ago he scored him a N64 with a few games and his daughter was hooked on Mario 64 for a while. Just last night my friend hands me a bag and says there was a (maybe) broken PS2, a Genesis and a few games.

I haven't had the chance to really look in the bag, but I saw the Genesis and a "Not For Resale" Streets of Rage 2, so I'm not sure what else is in there.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The not for resale was a pack in right? I seem to remember that being a pack in...I dunno. My original one came with Sonic 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend and I are going to be heading to the Swap Shop in Ft. Lauderdale Sunday April 6th if anyone wants to ride along/meet us there. We will be leaving from Fort Myers, just reply here or shoot me a pm if you are interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fuuuuck, I've been dying to hit the swap shop in a group, but I've been disallowed from spending money on hunts until I liquidate the shit I already have. The whole point is starting over. http://ram.damnaliens.us will start to explain it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    It's on Hollywood and 441, across the highway from the joke that was Millennium Mall.
    I remember when that was the Hollywood Fashion Center. Back in the '80s, I lived within walking distance from it and used to hang out at Bally's Aladdin's Castle all the time. There was Circus Playhouse and Toys 'R Us right across the street and I could buy my comics at Super Heroes Unlimited down the street from the McDonald's on Hollywood Blvd. That's all gone now.

Is SHU still there though? I went back to visit in 2006, but I didn't get a chance to check on the comic shop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to say no. That whole area has turned into a shithole. The fashion mall tried to reopen as an indoor flea market permanent booth kinda deal a few years ago. A friend's mom had a perma-booth selling teddy bears and cutesy stationary type stuff. Place went to shit less than a year later again and is just waiting to be turned into a home depot or something. Could definitely use a wal-mart in that area too. That'd be nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fuuuuck, I've been dying to hit the swap shop in a group, but I've been disallowed from spending money on hunts until I liquidate the shit I already have. The whole point is starting over. http://ram.damnaliens.us will start to explain it.
    Aww that's too bad man, sure you don't want to just come along and look, were gonna hit all the garage sales in the outside market during the morning then in the afternoon spend some time in the giant arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had a great day at the swap shop, got a N64 with ram expansion and controller for $2 (I know I coudn't believe it either), a NES power gloves with sensors for $7, and Original Gameboy with Qix for $5, a PSX Arcade stick for $4, and some random NES games for $3 a piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When did you go? I ended up going by myself sunday morning, cause the girlfriend and her friend ditched me for, ya know sleep of all things. I got rained out by about 10 am though. Didn't find much. Shadows of the Empire for N64 and A Final Unity for PC for $5 total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When did you go? I ended up going by myself sunday morning, cause the girlfriend and her friend ditched me for, ya know sleep of all things. I got rained out by about 10 am though. Didn't find much. Shadows of the Empire for N64 and A Final Unity for PC for $5 total.
    My friend and I got there at around 12, ended up leaving later after we hit the flea markets by me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy Shit. There's a Play n Trade in SF...

Was checking out the retro map thread, took a look at the map, and there we go, a pin in south florida.

It's in the Main St. Shops in miami lakes. I'll be checking it out this weekend as I live in hialeah, if anyone gets there first, let me know what you think.

BTW, is this the only "retro" game store in town? I honestly don't know of any others.

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What? Can you please give me the address? I looked at the map but it didn't show up for me. I don't know of any stores in Florida.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

6371 Main St
    Hialeah, FL

according to the map, that should read miami lakes, not hialeah.

Called the girlfriend. Says she saw it like months ago coming out of the johnny rockets there but forgot to tell me. I believe that little discrepency calls for a rethinking of my marital planning...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Viraneth

Holy Shit. There's a Play n Trade in SF...

Was checking out the retro map thread, took a look at the map, and there we go, a pin in south florida.

It's in the Main St. Shops in miami lakes. I'll be checking it out this weekend as I live in hialeah, if anyone gets there first, let me know what you think.

BTW, is this the only "retro" game store in town? I honestly don't know of any others.
    It's where Raw Wear used to be. They also have tournaments every weekend.

the prices aren't always the best, but for a lot of the games, the prices are really comprable to what you would pay on ebay. I got a PSone (brick size) for $20, cords, system, and controller.
    they had an SNES for $30 and an NES for $35, but they were bought already. I'm pretty sure the Atari 2600 with donkey kong, pac-man, and pitfall is still there. If you do go on friday, you might see me there. I'm usually there every friday since it opened. There's some good stuff there. Not too much, it's usually what people trade in. But you can make good finds. I have
    For the glory of the Lion, and for the Emperor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll most likely end up going saturday or something. We should all pick a place and make it our local 'home'. We don't have the DP store etc down here, so we should totally adopt a place.