Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great South Florida Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, let's do it then.

What areas do we want to specifically target? Looks like most of us are south broward, which leaves out Daria for the most part. Or, do we want to make this an all over south florida deal?

As for added spots, just getting a list of thrifts from the respective company sites is easy, let's focus on spots we actually find stuff at and add them as we discover viable locations.

A few of us have posted spots before, I can compile those. Any others that we should look at?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'd like to know more about the Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop. It's supposedly the biggest flea market in the US, right?

My choices are kind of limited for a meetup place, as I have trouble getting to places that aren't a general straight path to me. I can make an effort to get to a different place though.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can possibly stop by whenever I'm down in Palm Beach County (which hasn't been often lately). I'm willing to make a trip to Broward next time I'm down in Palm Beach if you want the Master System, Beta...

exit, I read your post and originally thought you were talking about the Orlando area I was thinking "I don't think University goes to 441...that's a bit of a ways", but then realized you were talking about Miami. It's been a while since I've been down there, but I know my way around Broward County. The flea market is huge, but I haven't gone there since I started collecting.

Also, I'd be interested in a "quarterly" deal for heading down there for swapping. I've been thinking of organizing a monthly deal at my place if anyone near Central Florida is interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    What areas do we want to specifically target? Looks like most of us are south broward, which leaves out Daria for the most part. Or, do we want to make this an all over south florida deal?
    I say lets have it be all over South FL, of course we may only mainly focus on the Broward area, but you never know who may need the information in the future. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll be hitting up some stores with a buddy of mine, so we'll probably print a list out from Google or something and I'll report which ones are worth the time.

As for the Swap Shop, a buddy of mine went there a few months ago and said he didn't see anything. He isn't a collector like any of us are and looked around because I always mention wanting to go there to look for games whenever the subject comes up, but I know I can trust his judgment and can safely assume it's a dry area. Of course things might have changed since then and it never hurts to look if you live in that area, but I'm not about to drive to Sunrise and come back empty handed.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    I can possibly stop by whenever I'm down in Palm Beach County (which hasn't been often lately). I'm willing to make a trip to Broward next time I'm down in Palm Beach if you want the Master System, Beta...
    Hmm, I'll have to make it worth your while then. I could probably meet you as far as Coral Springs. What are you looking for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still trying to sort out my collection and put it in viewable form for others somewhere. Any recommendations? I have a checklist that I use to track what I currently own, but it doesn't cover condition (loose/CIB) or duplicates.

Also, as an aside...any clue on how common a Transbot card with a "For Product Display Unit only, not for sale." sticker is? It came with my first Master System. Sounds like a Not for Resale or kiosk version sort of deal.
    Last edited by Shadow Kisuragi; 06-11-2009 at 12:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to know that too... I think I need a spot to list just my trades, however few I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my haul for the day from the Oviedo PnT:
    ESPN Extreme Games - PS1 Long Box, CIB
    NFL Gameday - PS1 Long Box, CIB
    Gorf - Atari 5200, Loose
    Zoop - Genesis, Cardboard Box, Viacom Version, CIB
    TNN Outdoors Bass Tournament '96 - Genesis, Cardboard Box, CIB
    Primetime NFL Football Starring Deion Sanders - Genesis, Cardboard Box, CIB
    World Series Baseball '95 - Genesis, Cardboard Box, CIB
    College Football's National Championship II - Genesis, Cardboard Box, CIB
    NHL All-Star Hockey '95 - Genesis, Cardboard Box, CIB
    Ghostbusters - SMS, Cart and Box
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Genesis, CIB
    Operation Europe: Path to Victory 1939-45 - Genesis, CIB

Sega Game Gear - Battery Pack
    Sega Game Gear - Super Wide Gear
    3DO - Capcom 6-button Controller
    NES - Flightstick 2 Controller (Quickshot)

I was on a Majesco/Cardboard Box kick since they were all in such great condition, CIB.
    Is Operation Europe really an R6? I have two CIB copies now.

Also saw a Mint, CIB Lunar 2 there for $100 and Sol-Feace (missing manual) for $8. They seem to have quite a few interesting items there, but they're all over the board in terms of pricing items. Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for $9? Seriously?
    Last edited by Shadow Kisuragi; 06-11-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, nobody wants to have a meetup spot?

Also, the Miramar PnT has a Genesis 2, NES, GG, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, and PS1 if anyone here wants one. I'd take the Dreamcast myself but I'm not ready to start a collection for another system yet.

Prices are reasonable except for the NES. $69.99? Oh please. Plus the SNES is badly yellowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys, sorry for the double post but nobody has bothered to respond lately.

I'm going to Naples for two weeks pretty soon and was curious if anyone wanted to know how the wild is over there. I'll probably be hitting the pawn shops at least once and going to Play N Trade a few times. I almost always find one good deal when I go out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bo0naka View Post
    My girlfriend was telling me that there's a pretty big flea market over in the Orlando area. I took her for the first time this weekend and she was in awe, I think I've got her hooked on treasure hunting at fleas and thrift stores, hehe.

Does anyone know if there really is one up in that area? If not, I'll do some exploration the next time I go up to visit some friends that live in the area.
    Therea big flea in Orlando called Flea World, they havea really nice gamestore there. Got Knuckles Chaotix CIB for the 32x there for $8

Insert Coin (Level 0) adam_devry's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys I live in the orlando area and the hunting sucks here too. We have about two play n trade here one gets nothing and the other has really high prices like FF8 greatest hits for 35. We have some thrift stores some times they have stuff but once in a while. I got zelda 2, punch out, and Fallout for PC. We have a flea market but either it looks like shit or they over charge like 50 for a nes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam_devry View Post
    Hey guys I live in the orlando area and the hunting sucks here too. We have about two play n trade here one gets nothing and the other has really high prices like FF8 greatest hits for 35. We have some thrift stores some times they have stuff but once in a while. I got zelda 2, punch out, and Fallout for PC. We have a flea market but either it looks like shit or they over charge like 50 for a nes
    $50 for an NES system isn't horribly overpriced. The normal price is about $30, so $50 is still within reason. A pawn shop near my parents' house has about 5 of them for the same price. But yeah, flea markets are a great place to find old games, but a horrible place to buy old stuff.

However, I'm sure you guys have good finds in Orlando. I met someone an another forum from Orlando and he said he found Game and Watch systems at a Play N Trade there.

Oh, and Penguin, I didn't know there was anyone from Fort Myers here. It's a damn shame what happened to the game stores at Fleamasters, isn't it? There is a place there that has a Colecovision with a ton of games for $50 total though. No output cables or power cord though x_x
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 07-11-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post

Oh, and Penguin, I didn't know there was anyone from Fort Myers here. It's a damn shame what happened to the game stores at Fleamasters, isn't it? There is a place there that has a Colecovision with a ton of games for $50 total though. No output cables or power cord though x_x
    Mario World moved actually. I'm friends with the lady that runs the place and have gotten quite a bit of rare games from her. Shes located at the Flamingo Island Flea Market in Naples now, so shes a little further south, she just moved all her inventory over there.

Which place had the Coleco, I was there today and diddn't see it. I need a replacement my system isn't working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot what the place is called. It was a place in the Grand Pavilion (small place) that had a bunch of NES systems in boxes underneath tables.
    May have been an Intellivision though, I'm none too smart about systems made between 2600 and NES.

Mario World is in Naples now? I'm from Naples so I go there all the time. The finds in Naples rock... paid pocket money for some really rare stuff a few times. Have you ever informed the lady that her prices are highly unreasonable?

What is there for video games at Fleamasters now, other than the aforementioned place?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I've abandoned all of you the last month or so, but I'm back, sort of.

Anyway, I'm moving my sister up to Tampa tomorrow and am going to try and find some places while I'm there. Any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any suggestions in South Florida like Miami? I'm all the way down here and go to some places but I'm wondering what other good places are there down here.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    So, I've abandoned all of you the last month or so, but I'm back, sort of.

Anyway, I'm moving my sister up to Tampa tomorrow and am going to try and find some places while I'm there. Any suggestions?
    I live in the Tampa area and I can tell you that you will find nothing here. The stores are all gamestop or derivatives, the flea markets are extremely overpriced and the garage sales are mediocre at best. Save your money and try to look at little Podunk towns along the way. They will most likely have much better stuff than Tampa, sorry...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FamicomFreak View Post
    Any suggestions in South Florida like Miami? I'm all the way down here and go to some places but I'm wondering what other good places are there down here.
    http://www.playntrade.com/storefinder
    http://yellowpages.aol.com/

For Play N Trade, do a zip code search. Play N Trade is the easiest place to find classic games, and sometimes they have relatively rare stuff too.

For yellow pages, search pawn shop or thrift store and also do a zip code search. Classic games are findable in these places, but not guaranteed.

Keep in mind to be persistant because a store can have nothing one time and then have a ton of great games the next time.

To everyone else: When are we going to decide on a meeting spot? I've never met a fellow collector :crying:

Speaking of bare spots, be glad we live in a relatively saturated area. I just went to the keys with my bro and dad this weekend and didn't see a single place that might have classic games except for one salvation army store. Didn't go in though.
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 07-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Wow there's a Play N Trade right past 163rd on US1, I may have to go see this on my next day off.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre