Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great South Florida Thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I forgot what the place is called. It was a place in the Grand Pavilion (small place) that had a bunch of NES systems in boxes underneath tables.
    May have been an Intellivision though, I'm none too smart about systems made between 2600 and NES.

Mario World is in Naples now? I'm from Naples so I go there all the time. The finds in Naples rock... paid pocket money for some really rare stuff a few times. Have you ever informed the lady that her prices are highly unreasonable?

What is there for video games at Fleamasters now, other than the aforementioned place?
    I'm in Fort Myers as well, born & raised lol. I didn't know Mario World moved... The guy who runs that place is a huge douche and his stuff is terribly overpriced.

Come to think of it, is anything left here? Silver Platter, ABCD's, Replay (think that's what it was called, whatever CD Warehouse turned into) and everything else I can think of other than thrifts and flea markets are gone. I haven't purchased a retro item in about two years and am actually considering selling some stuff off anyway for financial reasons.

Sucks, because driving around and the proverbial thrill of the hunt was a great way to spend a day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im in Florida as well,I live in Brandon,its real close to Tampa.

I really don't do to much game shopping around here,I go to my local Goodwill every now and then.Last time I was there they had a bunch of PS1 consoles,a couple a Sega Genesis,and some Nintendo's.There prices were not to bad,20 bucks for a Nintendo,10 or 15 for a Genesis and 15 to 20 for a PS1.Now there game selection is pretty bad,nothing really worth getting.

I still need to stop by a play n trade and see what there prices are on Snes games but for the most stick to online when I buy games.
    Last edited by Pikkon; 07-20-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeOnlineSurname View Post
    I'm in Fort Myers as well, born & raised lol. I didn't know Mario World moved... The guy who runs that place is a huge douche and his stuff is terribly overpriced.

Come to think of it, is anything left here? Silver Platter, ABCD's, Replay (think that's what it was called, whatever CD Warehouse turned into) and everything else I can think of other than thrifts and flea markets are gone. I haven't purchased a retro item in about two years and am actually considering selling some stuff off anyway for financial reasons.

Sucks, because driving around and the proverbial thrill of the hunt was a great way to spend a day.
    Yea I miss Silver Platter and ABCD's. Only places to get lucky at at the Play N' Trades in Cape Coral and Naples, the occasional thrift store ad the flea markets. Craigslist has stuff every once in a while. Have you checked out Rainbow Records in Cape? I think they used to carry old games but I havent been there in ages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aside from the swap shop, are there any good places to get games near Lauderdale by the sea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Just got back from the Play N Trade on Miramar Parkway and SW 145th and I have to say it was quite the interesting visit.I had originally wanted to stop by the one in Miami, but this wasn't too far away from where my friend works, so I decided to just go there after I dropped him off. I walk in and there's a dispute going on over the RROD and YLOD that I somehow got mixed up in. Good thing was it wasn't like an argument that you'd hear in Gamestop, since everyone seemed to have their own valid points, but there was still the unavoidable sense of fanboyism in the air. Overall it seemed to be a very laid back place and I wouldn't mind stopping by there every once in a while to just talk to the employees.

Their classic games seemed to be decently priced, they certainly aren't thrift store prices, but they're decent enough when compared to E-bay prices. I picked up Castlevania III and Donkey Kong Country for $9 each, again certainly not the cheapest, but there's really no where else to find Classic games around here anymore.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Therea big flea in Orlando called Flea World, they havea really nice gamestore there. Got Knuckles Chaotix CIB for the 32x there for $8
    Careful buying from that guy...while he does have a lot of stock and interesting items (and I passed on that Knuckles Chaotix...haven't been back since, so congrats), he also gives very unreasonable tradeback credit and pirates his DVDs and some of his games. I've seen him give someone trade credit of $2 for SMB3 and then turn around and sell it for $25. I would suggest stopping by Gus's place, Cybertron. He's a collector as well, and he's always willing to work with you. He let me swap out some plastic shells for Saturn/Sega CD games so that all of my purchases had pristene cases (instead of broken cases), and I took most of the foam inserts to place in my cases. He also has a decent amount of stock.

I purchased BlackThorne and Primal Rage for 32X from the guy you're talking about though for cheap, so he obviously doesn't know all of his games.

I frequent the Flea World in Sanford almost every weekend - maybe I'll meet up with you there sometime and we can swap some stuff.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Their classic games seemed to be decently priced, they certainly aren't thrift store prices, but they're decent enough when compared to E-bay prices. I picked up Castlevania III and Donkey Kong Country for $9 each, again certainly not the cheapest, but there's really no where else to find Classic games around here anymore.
    What?! They had Castlevania III there?! I'm planning on going there today around 7 or 8. Thanks for snatching up the good games... grr... Tell me, did they have anything else good, aside from that copy of Mega Man 2 that's been sitting there for 2 months?

I generally don't like that store though. Every one of the workers except that black guy is always playing games or bs'ing. I can stand up at the counter for 10 minutes without being helped, and the guys at the counter won't stop talking. Only reason I go there is because that store and the Goodwill by me are the only sources I have for classic games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I didn't see Mega Man 2 there, otherwise I may have picked it up. I didn't really have a chance to look around since I got wrapped up in the argument, but I did see all 3 Wizard and Warriors there, other than that I really don't remember what else was there. The girl there had told me someone had just dropped off a bunch of games there, so I guess I got lucky and snatched one of the good ones up.

I might go check out the one in Miami today with a buddy and see what they have, there's also one that's not that much further away from 145th, but I doubt I'll go to that one anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I generally don't like that store though. Every one of the workers except that black guy is always playing games or bs'ing. I can stand up at the counter for 10 minutes without being helped, and the guys at the counter won't stop talking. Only reason I go there is because that store and the Goodwill by me are the only sources I have for classic games.
    You see I'm the type of person that takes their time in stores and find it annoying when the workers keep on bothering me when I'm looking around, so if they take awhile to get to me I don't really mind. The girl is the one that approached me and gave me a nice compliment when I asked for Castlevania 3 and the two black guys kept on giving me compliments when they saw what I was buying, so I found the experience rather pleasant. I'm also a very noticeable person, or at least that's what my friends and other people have told me, so I guess I make my presence known without me even realizing it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You see I'm the type of person that takes their time in stores and find it annoying when the workers keep on bothering me when I'm looking around, so if they take awhile to get to me I don't really mind. The girl is the one that approached me and gave me a nice compliment when I asked for Castlevania 3 and the two black guys kept on giving me compliments when they saw what I was buying, so I found the experience rather pleasant. I'm also a very noticeable person, or at least that's what my friends and other people have told me, so I guess I make my presence known without me even realizing it.
    I don't like people bothering me either, but there's an extreme difference here: I'm at the counter waiting patiently, and they act like they don't even notice me. It's alright that they let me do my thing while I'm just browsing, but when I want to buy something or see something behind the counter, they're always goofing off. JustRob shares similar feelings about this location. In addition to the standard demo booths PnT has, they brought in 4 HDTVs in the back wall just for people to goof off. There's a hell of a lot of playing, but not a whole lot of trading.

Oh well, looks like I'm getting Kuros: Visions of Power today.

Also to South FL members, let's share messenger contacts. Mine are already listed under my avatar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't see Mega Man 2 there, otherwise I may have picked it up. I didn't really have a chance to look around since I got wrapped up in the argument, but I did see all 3 Wizard and Warriors there, other than that I really don't remember what else was there.
    I just got back from there. I highly suggest you get your eyes examined. Here's what I picked up:

NES:
    Rygar
    W&W 3 (like you said)

Genesis:
    Flicky
    Vectorman
    World of Illusion
    Gunstar fucking Heroes
    Ecco: The Tides of Time

Also had a few more decent games, like the silver label Metroid ($10), The Jungle Book for both SNES and Genesis, and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure for Genesis. SMB/Duck Hunt, SMB2, and SMB3 are there too if anyone is missing those from their NES collection :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome pick ups. I might head to my local play n trade tomorrow to check things out. I had some sales so I have a little spending money. I'm going to visit the one in biscayne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey ff, tell me how the one is Biscayne is when you get back!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Went to the flea markets today, diddnt see too much, some common NES games, and a boxed Power Set which the guy was asking $70 for, ugh! It's been very dry as of late, can't wait for fall to get here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which flea market did you see the boxed power set at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen a few things come through craigslist as of late in Orlando, so I decided to check out the Palm Beach listings (which, incidentally, are listed under the Miami craigslist). Things are extremely dry for the Palm Beach listings, but it seems like Miami is drowning in Sega listings I saw a good 3DO listing in Miramar, but I really don't feel like driving down there this weekend.

I'd suggest checking out craigslist if things are drying up in local stores like I'm currently seeing here in Orlando. A few stores are closing up shop here that I recently heard about, so I keep seeing their stuff tossed up on craigslist as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fuchikoma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea the PnT on Miramar Parkway always seems to have 5 guys behind the counter just goofing around but only one employee on the register.
    MAX 330 MEGA
    PRO-GEAR SPEC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well...my apartment was flooded a week ago, so some of my games were damaged (Secret of Mana...). The last month has been hell for me.

We brought a friend's cat to the vet in Orlando, since that vet is the only vet left in the area that's willing to work with one of my cats. We stopped at the Goodwill there, since I remembered that they carried SNES and Genesis games when I stopped in around '05. Here's my FIND OF THE YEAR:

SNES ($1.99 each):
    P.T.O. II
    Obitus
    SimCity 2000
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (!)
    Mega Man X (!)
    Illusion of Gaia (!)
    Secret of Evermore (!)
    Chrono Trigger (!!!)

I also purchased some Game Guides for $1:
    BradyGames Secret Codes 2004
    The Sims: Hot Date
    Rugrats in Paris: The Movie
    Doom 3
    Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (!)
    Enter the Matrix

All of those SquareSoft RPGS for $2/each....wow. They just came in today too.

Any progress on a "convention" sort of deal for South Florida for DP members?
    Last edited by Shadow Kisuragi; 08-08-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fuchikoma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PnT off 67th Ave in Hialeah is closed up.
    MAX 330 MEGA
    PRO-GEAR SPEC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you mean by "convention"? I haven't had a "find of the year" yet. I did, however, pick up Viewpoint and Sonic Spinball from PnT today, for $8. I also got manuals for Vectorman, Virtua Cop (Saturn), and Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn, horrible condition) today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Holy crap, I just moved to South Florida a few months ago, after living in the Chicago suburbs my whole life. I ended up moving to West Palm Beach.

Heh, tonight is the first time I saw this thread.

Anyway, I bought Resident Evil 5 in April at a GameStop in the nearly abandoned-looking Palm Beach Mall. I went back there a few weeks later to find that GS had closed! Thankfully there's decent GS on Okeechobee Blvd even closer, that's where I picked up Raiden Fighters Aces

p.s. (nothing to do with gaming) The humidity during what's called the "wet season" here, is killing me! Thankfully for me it's only a 4-mile drive to the beach. OMG i love the ocean ^__^
    I originally wanted to move to South Florida for the semi-tropical climate, that northern & central Florida does not have, at least not to the same degree.

See how that thin orange-colored zone extends north along the Atlantic Coast? It means West Palm Beach has basicly the same climate as Miami!

That's actually true, right?
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 08-12-2009 at 11:45 PM.