Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $1,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default $1,000

If you were to have $1000, which system would you most be able to complete its game library?

only consider systems that have 100-150+ games..(ie not 32x or any of the like).

just curious what people's responses would be.
    Last edited by Gorez; 03-13-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know its a toughie most have either to few or to many. I guess I would go with the Dreamcast.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm. 150 games is a LOT. That means each game would have to be less than $10. And are you wanting Complete in Box versions?

I'd say either the Dreamcast or the N64, but only loose and w/o certain rare titles. You'd have to shop wise and buy games in lots whenever possible.

I also am not factoring in hardware/peripherals because there is NO WAY you could get all that for under $1,000....no way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no no, im not talking about complete-ing a whole system. just which would you most complete.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    Hmmm. 150 games is a LOT. That means each game would have to be less than $10. And are you wanting Complete in Box versions?

I'd say either the Dreamcast or the N64, but only loose and w/o certain rare titles. You'd have to shop wise and buy games in lots whenever possible.

I also am not factoring in hardware/peripherals because there is NO WAY you could get all that for under $1,000....no way.
    Yeah no system could be completed for just 1,000 bucks, because there are always the games that elude collectors and demand insane prices. I guess the N64 is a good choice as well, because it had no insanely high priced games.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I could probably finish my Sega Master System and Atari 7800 collections, and have money left over for an extravagant new hat
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

always looking for new extravagant hats.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gorez View Post
    no no, im not talking about complete-ing a whole system. just which would you most complete.
    Actually, if I had $1,000 to just spend on completing a system I always wanted to, I'd probably aim at getting as much Atari Jaguar / CD stuff as possible.

I might even try to get 3DO or Pippin collection (I know, Pippin doesn't have close to 150+ games).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I could probably finish my Sega Master System and Atari 7800 collections, and have money left over for an extravagant new hat
    Ding ding ding.

You can complete a Game.com for under $50.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scrimble
    PSN
    Scrimble

I got the last game I needed for my Sega Master collection a few days ago and even though they are all complete, minus a few manuals, and hasn't cost anywhere near $1000, maybe a few hundred? IDK that's just me though. With $1000 I'm sure you could take a big chunk out of Saturn and maybe even finish Sega CD?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you could probably do a US Sega Master System set. really only Buster Douglas boxing will cost you $100, the 2nd tier rares can be had for $15-$20, and there aren't many of them. Everything else is $5 or under complete. Also only I think 120 ish games release.

you couldn't do 7800 complete in box, as Title Match Pro Wrestling, Alien Brigade, and a few other can run $50-$200.

If you're talking handhelds...US Neo Geo Pocket could be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I'll say:
    Neo-Geo Pocket, including the color stuff.
    Virtual Boy (U.S., at least)
    game.com
    Atari Lynx (but it'd be close)
    Atari 7800
    Sega Master System
    Sega 32X
    Odyssey^2 (PDF can correct me if I'm wrong)
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 03-13-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Difficult question because, as a few other people pointed out, it would be very difficult to get a system complete with good accessories and fill out a 100+ game library (especially when you include the very rare games), and still pay less than $1000. If someone is fairly new to collecting, I think you'd have to avoid some systems like the 3DO and Jaguar because their games library is mostly garbage with a few gems mixed in. If you're doing your first complete games collection, I'd hope you would do it for a system that holds your interest and has a lot of the types of games you're into. (In other words, if it's your first full system, don't spend money on trash just for the sake of saying you have a complete game library. Pick a system that's worth it.)

As much as it was a considered a failure when released, a personal favorite for me has become the Virtual Boy. It's very unique and offers a game experience you can't get anywhere else. The "3D graphics" aren't revolutionary by any means, but they are still cool over 10 years later. Better yet, the library is very small (less than 30 unique games worldwide) and only a few games are really expensive. More importantly, the games are more proportionately good in comparison to most other failed consoles. However, the system doesn't meet your criteria if dead-set on a 100+ game system. If that's the case, I second the recommendations of others in the N64 and Dreamcast. N64 would probably be cheaper and games would be easier to find, but most people prefer the Dreamcast game library-- so it would come down to economics and personal taste.
    Last edited by PSXferrari; 03-13-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

people seem to think i asked this for suggestions for me..no, i just asked if you had 1000$ which collection would you try to complete..and i understand 1000$ isnt enough for pretty much any system to complete the whole library, but which would be the one you could get most.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gorez View Post
    people seem to think i asked this for suggestions for me..no, i just asked if you had 1000$ which collection would you try to complete..and i understand 1000$ isnt enough for pretty much any system to complete the whole library, but which would be the one you could get most.

Yep, you had me confused. That's what I thought the first time I responded, but then reread it after my post and realized what you meant. Notice the edit note at the end of mine-- edited it to be more "general," instead of specific towards you. So I guess that rules out my Virtual Boy idea (far less than 100 games). If it were me personally with that much money, it would have to be my Saturn collection, but still think I would come up real short. N64 might be the only one in reach. Or if you want to collect for a real crap system, you can go for Philips CD-i, which is close enough with about 90 titles actually worth calling "games." Most games are quite cheap, and it's quite possibly the easiest "classic" system to still get factory-sealed games for (and at cheap prices too).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I belive ive seen complete boxed collections of the 7800 for sale on ebay before for less than a 1.000.00

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrldstrman View Post
    I belive ive seen complete boxed collections of the 7800 for sale on ebay before for less than a 1.000.00
    Now I'm certainly no 7800 expert (in fact, I know almost nothing), but according to a book I have the 7800 had approximately 60 games released for it. So like my Virtual Boy, it doesn't fit the criteria.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The N-Gage. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

The Master System would be the easiest, and closest to the $1000 mark. As was said before, the 7800 would follow.

Id also think that you could manage a complete 5200 collection, maybe Intellivision. (Im thinking how low the prices for intv stuff currently is)

R-Zone would be obtainable as well
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to put it perspective i only spent a total of $963 on my entire 7800 collection and thats with 57 US released games 3 systems (one original near system release date) plus 1 homebrew beef drop
    not all of this came from ebay but a few of the pricey ones did, and they all have atleast the cart and manuals

with the $1000
    i would probably try and finish my jaguar collection except for battlesphere (screw that game, plus it wasnt made when the jaguar was in stores)
    and the SMS - i only have 33 US games for it so the others should be easy
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/