Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to get a job at EB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How hard is it to get a job at EB?

I am going to try to get one in 8 months. I have never worked at a big company before, but I work for a few game sites, and as most people here, I know a lot about games.
    Mega Man Games: 3/???
    Xbox Game Count: 15

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Knowing a lot about games doesnt get you in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just saying that because they ask what systems/games do you know about.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

If it's anything like working at Fry's Electronics (where I work, with video games and movies and such), it's more about retail than about games. Knowing them helps with selling, but you don't get as much time to play, and it's more about selling than reviewing for customers.

They'll ask, but in the end it doesn't matter much. And it shouldn't really be too hard to get in on the ground floor, just be cordial and confident and you should be able to get in without too much trouble.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You probably won't get a job, unless you are chummy-chummy with a manager there. EVERYONE who plays video games would love to work for a company that either makes or sells video games - plain & simple.

So not to discourage you but keep in mind that everyone in those game stores who's 16 and older has probably at one point or another tried to get a job either there or at another game place.

The closest I ever got was working the electronics department at K-Mart while in college. It was occasionally cool but more often than not dreadfully boring.

No harm in trying though...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Judging by the people that work at my local EB, not much.
    It's a retail job, and isn't too terribly hard to get into.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowforte View Post
    I was just saying that because they ask what systems/games do you know about.
    A serious reply......

Well, as long as you know a little about the most recent generations of gaming and you look the interviewer in the eye without stammering then you should do ok. I'm not saying the eye contact thing to be funny. I've had more than one interviewer tell me eye contact makes a lot of difference.

If you're going to be selling games and systems to people, then they are not going to hire someone who seems shy or nervous. Yeah, sometimes that is the way it works out but being outgoing and gregarious is always a good strategy.

Oh, make sure you know recent systems just a little. You don't have to be an expert but you ought to be able to identify what the consoles look like and what games go with them. I think that is all they care about. Why? Not every single parent out there buying something at EB knows what an Xbox 360 looks like or what section the games are in. That type of stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Also don't badmouth games in the interview. Remember, Crow City of Angels was the BEST SATURN GAME EVER.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, and mention how much you enjoy playing with your Wii every night before you go to sleep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol will do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Try to drool on yourself a bit too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    The closest I ever got was working the electronics department at K-Mart while in college. It was occasionally cool but more often than not dreadfully boring.
    I can confirm that, I work in electronics at wally world and while it can be fun at time, it's evened out by ridiculous customers and an asshole department manager.

I tried to apply at Gamestop one time and the guys there just rolled their eyes at me the entire time. I asked for an application and they said "It's over there.", without even hinting where "there" was. It was the same thing when I gave them the application, but I'm sure they put it right in the filing cabinet (i.e. the trash can).

I went there some time later and neither of the guys worked there anymore, so I'm guessing they were the ones replaced.
    Last edited by exit; 03-14-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just need a job to fund my game collection. I will tryv other places as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had gotten a job at Software Etc. or Funcoland years ago while in High School I'd probably have never went to college and just worked my way up.

Seriously, my career choice sucks now - I hate being a graphic designer and I'd gladly take a huge cut in pay if I could work around games 24/7.

But I got bills...DAMMIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

If you really want the low down, send me a PM or shoot me an instant message. I was an EB DM for around 3 years and even stuck around for the devil corp merger that turned a good company into GameSlop.

Here are a few requirements/things to ponder while you consider taking on this fantastic job in the "gaming business." And, while you think I might be sounding sarcastic, consider for a moment that I dealt with hiring people ALL the TIME.

1. Go to the interview in nice dress pants and a nice dress shirt. DO NOT wear sandals or a t-shirt. Yes, people actually did that. Additionally, have a few ideas or questions about the job. Show that you have conversational skills. Your gaming knowledge means jack squat.

2. Do not go to work high. Even though part time workers aren't drug tested, the company will be more than happy to call the cops on you if you do. Yes, this happened regularly.

3. Smile, nod, smile, nod, sell Barbie Horse Adventures.

4. Be happy with minimum wage for your city/state and don't expect to get any types of significant raises due to your "hard work."

5. Be happy doing TOH (title on hand; aka GameSlop devil work) and meanial tasks that have nothing to do with video games---ALL DAY.

6. Be prepared to put any kind of opinions you have totally aside while you tow the corporate line. I had to make my district push "Ride or Die" down the throats of customers. I'm talking follow up phone calls that involved one-on-one conversations with part timers for not hitting goals. I'm going to stress again--YOUR OPINIONS DON'T MATTER.

7. Be prepared to lie about the quality of GameSlops "Great Used Gaming Systems" and the value of "Game Replacement Plans." Did I mention GameSlop removed all spiff/incentive plans that EB had in place?

8. Smile, nod, smile, nod, sell Barbie Horse Adventures.

9. Be prepared to start wanting to play LESS because you get sick of talking about shit you could care less about. "Hey man, when does Madden 2025 drop?" Oh, and by the way---you better LOVE taking reservations

I'll stop there. Like I said, if you're still interested, send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to answer any and all questions
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the key. Act extremly arrogant and cocky. Also make sure that you have the latest hair style and have an Ambercombie and Finch shirt on. Also make sure to have a friend call you while you are getting interviewed, then take the cell phone out and look at it and put it back into your pocket. Also when the interviewer asks you about the Atari 2600 say "What's that?". When he asks you about the NES. Laugh and say"That crap is for gay emo kids." If you do all these things, the manager will probably higher you on the spot.
    yep yep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol ok thanks. Well unless some in kent, ohio or evansville,indiana (or around these places) wants to hire me, I have to start thinking about jobs. This just happens to be one of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the only thing you might run into is that retail chains generally aren't looking to hire right after the holidays -- they tend to stock up on extra workers around September, and let them go after the Christmas rush.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    If you really want the low down, send me a PM or shoot me an instant message. I was an EB DM for around 3 years and even stuck around for the devil corp merger that turned a good company into GameSlop.

Here are a few requirements/things to ponder while you consider taking on this fantastic job in the "gaming business." And, while you think I might be sounding sarcastic, consider for a moment that I dealt with hiring people ALL the TIME.

1. Go to the interview in nice dress pants and a nice dress shirt. DO NOT wear sandals or a t-shirt. Yes, people actually did that. Additionally, have a few ideas or questions about the job. Show that you have conversational skills. Your gaming knowledge means jack squat.

2. Do not go to work high. Even though part time workers aren't drug tested, the company will be more than happy to call the cops on you if you do. Yes, this happened regularly.

3. Smile, nod, smile, nod, sell Barbie Horse Adventures.

4. Be happy with minimum wage for your city/state and don't expect to get any types of significant raises due to your "hard work."

5. Be happy doing TOH (title on hand; aka GameSlop devil work) and meanial tasks that have nothing to do with video games---ALL DAY.

6. Be prepared to put any kind of opinions you have totally aside while you tow the corporate line. I had to make my district push "Ride or Die" down the throats of customers. I'm talking follow up phone calls that involved one-on-one conversations with part timers for not hitting goals. I'm going to stress again--YOUR OPINIONS DON'T MATTER.

7. Be prepared to lie about the quality of GameSlops "Great Used Gaming Systems" and the value of "Game Replacement Plans." Did I mention GameSlop removed all spiff/incentive plans that EB had in place?

8. Smile, nod, smile, nod, sell Barbie Horse Adventures.

9. Be prepared to start wanting to play LESS because you get sick of talking about shit you could care less about. "Hey man, when does Madden 2025 drop?" Oh, and by the way---you better LOVE taking reservations

I'll stop there. Like I said, if you're still interested, send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to answer any and all questions
    Man that company continues to find new ways to piss me off and make me hate their f'n guts!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:27 PM.