Thread: Genesis 2 region mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis 2 region mod

Can anyone post a step by step tutorial on how to modify the Genesis 2 to play Japanese games?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't done a Model 2 yet. But I've modded a model 1 and it was really simple. I couldn't get the 50/60hz switch to work though. Probably because I was following instructions on how to mod a PAL system.
    Collecting the Bubble Bobble series, this includes Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars and Puzzle Bobble. If you have anything for trade or sale please let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreycorey2000 View Post
    I haven't done a Model 2 yet. But I've modded a model 1 and it was really simple. I couldn't get the 50/60hz switch to work though. Probably because I was following instructions on how to mod a PAL system.
    I don't need the 50/60hz mod...i just need the jpn/usa region switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

These are excerpts from previous posts I've made over the past couple years when this comes up. I don't want to dig them up (URL's are invalid since the forum swap) or write out how to do it again as I'm currently writing a reference volume on video game technical stuff. That's why I cut and pasted my posts before the forums changed out of phpBB. Take from it what you can...

"Modding a Genesis 2 requires you trace a couple of pins from the 315-XXXX chip and isolate them. Pin 107 of this chip runs to a +5v plain for US and a GND plain for JPN. Basically you want to find where it meets up with the +5v plain and isolate it by cutting around it until it is isolated - don't just cut the trace as there's a VIA you can pick up the connection from that you want to leave in tact. Then you solder the center of a SPDT to the VIA or connecting point that runs to pin 107 of the 315-XXXX chip. One of the other pins on the switch gets connected to +5v (I usually get it from any connection found that meets up with A26 / B26 of the expansion port as that's +5v) for US mode, and the other pin goes to GND (again, A12, B12, A30 and B30 of the expansion port are GND but GNDs are easy to find) for JPN mode. 50Hz (PAL) / 60Hz (NTSC) is controlled by the same chip except pin 46 instead - GND for 50Hz and +5v for 60Hz. Procedure is pretty much the same. Sounds more complicated but I like modding Genesis 2 systems more. Remember if you're modding PAL Mega Drive systems you REALLY need to put in a 50Hz / 60Hz switch - world of difference."

Also don't forget...

"US/JPN modding requires more than just installing a switch. You also need to widen the cartridge slot and that's not just the removal of the two little tabs on the surface. The entire slot needs to be widened as Japanese Mega Drive carts are rectangular with a half circle on each end. (I say a good way to think of this is to imagine putting a Genesis cartridge in turned around, with the cartridge label facing the back - you need around that much clearance) Best way to go about that is via a small handheld rotary tool, I use a fiberglass cut off wheel on one personally."

Best of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for that. I don't know where these chips are though...that guide was written for someone who knows their genesis in and out... ;; anyone have tutorial pictures? bleh..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

perhaps delivered with a spoon?

Great post InsaneDavid.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon View Post
    perhaps delivered with a spoon?
    That's why I love the tech forums.

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon View Post
    Great post InsaneDavid.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    thanks for that. I don't know where these chips are though...that guide was written for someone who knows their genesis in and out... ;; anyone have tutorial pictures? bleh..
    There's only one chip involved, 315-XXXX, the big one. Since there are so many different Genesis 2 board revisions, theory is the only/best way to explain what to do. This is also because the principle behind the mod is always the same, that chip always abides by the same rules regardless of board version. (even in the JVC X'Eye)

What's funny is that I've never really cared for the Genesis. There are a few really cool games out there but that's about it in my opinion. I learned how to mod the systems for one (many would say stupid) reason - to play the lone Mega Drive Sailormoon game that I had sitting around.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't say it's stupid... the Sailor Moon games (save SuperS Various Emotion) aren't that bad.

I might give this a shot with my old Genesis... now if I could only find a reasonably priced Pulseman.

(best Sailor Moon game is Another Story)
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't even have megadrive games. I just like my consoles to be region free if possible. i'll figure it out.