Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [RVGFANATIC] Now celebrating a dozen years! 12 year retrospective + random updates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice to see you still active Steve or getting back into the swing!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Prehistorik Man and I have a bit of history together. Hey, give me points for not doing a (pre)history pun there. Would that be a pun? Would it even make sense? Ah hell, I can't think right now. ME CLUB BAD GUY! ME EAT FOOD! *grumbles*

Blackthorne is one of my unsung favorites when it comes to games outside of the Triple A heavy hitters on the SNES. Quite a fun title that I feel still to this day it gets somewhat overlooked. I certainly don't see it enough in various recommendation lists over the years, and that's a shame as I feel it has more than enough merit to warrant being included.

On a side note, for the first time in like 8 years, I've written new SNES reviews in back to back weeks. It feels good! I'm going to try and update more frequently on my new Wordpress. Looking to publish new content on at least a biweekly basis. Of course though, we'll see if real life agrees with my publishing schedule! But so far, so good. Stay tuned!
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    Nice to see you still active Steve or getting back into the swing!
    Thanks bro, I appreciate it. You know, it's funny, I've been working on RVGFanatic for close to 9 years pretty much straight through. Then unforeseen circumstances forced me into a five month break from writing. I've stayed plenty busy in real life, from dating (some crazy date stories let me tell ya lol) to beating RPGs like the 7th Saga to you know, doing that whole work thing to pay off those gimmicks that come in the mail they call bills (TM Stone Cold Steve Austin). After getting back into writing SNES reviews again late last month (Prehistorik Man), and then again just yesterday (Blackthorne), I realize how much I miss it, and how much I love it. I've been asked how I've avoided burnout all these years when you see so many webmasters leave the game in a year or two, many times less. I don't know, it's just in my blood. I love putting my thoughts down on a game and knowing it becomes an "archive" from that point on. To me there's something really cool and invaluable about that. From time to time I still revisit my old site to scan through old reviews and articles. This may sound corny but I remember fondly and vividly where I was when I read any given piece. Like the Ultraman review for instance, that was the summer (2008) where I had my wisdom teeth extracted. I remember bleeding on my gauze as I was writing the review, lol. Yup, rather than rest, the first thing I did coming home from the dentist was finishing up the review. How appropriate as that game is pretty darn painful

I have plenty of old material to transfer over (slowly but surely I will) as well as new material to cover. Here's to another decade

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's so hard to believe it's been that long already Steve, feels like it's only been a few years. That break was probably essential to helping to keep the fire going long term, plus hey gotta have a balanced life right? Speaking of writing, any projects in the background in terms of books? Really enjoyed your short story in Rob's Caveman gamer book. Floating around now is talk of a new book "Little Gamers." Even Martin Alessi (of EGM fame) is going to contribute to it (got him as a friend on Facebook). I think these books that reflect on the past are definitely up your alley.

Thanks bro, I appreciate it. You know, it's funny, I've been working on RVGFanatic for close to 9 years pretty much straight through. Then unforeseen circumstances forced me into a five month break from writing. I've stayed plenty busy in real life, from dating (some crazy date stories let me tell ya lol) to beating RPGs like the 7th Saga to you know, doing that whole work thing to pay off those gimmicks that come in the mail they call bills (TM Stone Cold Steve Austin). After getting back into writing SNES reviews again late last month (Prehistorik Man), and then again just yesterday (Blackthorne), I realize how much I miss it, and how much I love it. I've been asked how I've avoided burnout all these years when you see so many webmasters leave the game in a year or two, many times less. I don't know, it's just in my blood. I love putting my thoughts down on a game and knowing it becomes an "archive" from that point on. To me there's something really cool and invaluable about that. From time to time I still revisit my old site to scan through old reviews and articles. This may sound corny but I remember fondly and vividly where I was when I read any given piece. Like the Ultraman review for instance, that was the summer (2008) where I had my wisdom teeth extracted. I remember bleeding on my gauze as I was writing the review, lol. Yup, rather than rest, the first thing I did coming home from the dentist was finishing up the review. How appropriate as that game is pretty darn painful

I have plenty of old material to transfer over (slowly but surely I will) as well as new material to cover. Here's to another decade
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I hope your site isn't too well known, Steve... I've alluded to a SNES hidden gem here and there (without naming it) that apparently collectards don't know about yet: Prehistorik Man. I'd hate for the secret to get out in the current environment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I hope your site isn't too well known, Steve... I've alluded to a SNES hidden gem here and there (without naming it) that apparently collectards don't know about yet: Prehistorik Man. I'd hate for the secret to get out in the current environment.
    Heh, yeah I'm surprised Prehistorik Man is still only $20 ish after all these years. Wouldn't shock me if it hits 40-50 in the next year. Don't worry, my little mom and pop shop doesn't move the market's needle like Cinemassacre or one of those other famous YouTube gaming channels :P

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    It's so hard to believe it's been that long already Steve, feels like it's only been a few years. That break was probably essential to helping to keep the fire going long term, plus hey gotta have a balanced life right? Speaking of writing, any projects in the background in terms of books? Really enjoyed your short story in Rob's Caveman gamer book. Floating around now is talk of a new book "Little Gamers." Even Martin Alessi (of EGM fame) is going to contribute to it (got him as a friend on Facebook). I think these books that reflect on the past are definitely up your alley.
    Thanks bro. You said it. The forced mini sabbatical and site change did me more good than harm. Wordpress is a lot easier and more efficient than the old website builder model I was using, which was growing more and more obsolete. Balance is key as you said.

I had a blast contributing to Memoirs! Rob Strangman was an early infuence on me with his OPCFG fansite in the late '90s. Was honored when he asked me to contribute. I haven't heard of Little Gamers but I will check it out. As for book projects, I am open to contributing if approached and if I feel like I want my work attached, but I'm fairly content publishing free content on my Wordpress. Already converted over one of my obscure SFC reviews and looking to add more tomorrow plus all new reviews this weekend and next week.

Thanks again for the love, SL. Always good hearing from ya!
    Last edited by Steven; 03-21-2016 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default RVGFanatic turns 10!

As I write this it's January 7, 2017. RVGFanatic.com (the original site) launched on January 7, 2007 (two days before Steve Jobs announced the first ever iPhone). Yup, that means my little fansite is now 10 years old! Collectively speaking, I mean. In late 2015 the original site went down (it's still accessible as of this writing) due to the website builder model going obsolete. That's when I launched the Wordpress rendition in January 2016. But overall, I still consider this 10 consecutive years and I'm very proud of that! Not many gaming fansites last a couple years, let alone 10.

So to honor the occasion, I've written an extensive article highlighting not only my North American SNES collection, but it's really an excuse to do a massive commentary of my thoughts and feelings on the overall Super Nintendo catalog. There are over 200 pictures and I talk about well over 100 SNES games. But not just the best ones. I also talk about which ones I feel are unsung heroes, which ones I hated, which ones I found enjoyable in the guilty pleasure sense, and much more.

In fact, this is how I broke down each of my 12 SNES shelves:

Best Game — What I consider to be the best game on that shelf.
    Worst Game — What I consider as the worst game on that shelf.
    Guilty Pleasures — Games that I enjoy but aren’t necessarily good.
    Unsung Heroes — Overlooked games that I find to be high quality.
    Most Disappointing — Games I thought I would like a lot, but don’t.
    Most Surprising — Games I didn’t expect much from but delivered.
    Most Wanted — Games I’ve still yet to play but most excited to play.
    Miscellaneous — Random notes on other games not yet highlighted.

I thought that would be a fun system and give my article some structure and direction, other than random comments. Although, there's still plenty of that, too!

It's been a great 10 years. It's kind of crazy to look back on the early pages of this thread. I thank everyone who has ever been a fan or supporter of me and my one man site RVGFanatic.
    I look forward to what 2017 has in store. Is it crazy to say here's to 10 more? God willing, here's to 10 freaking more. Maybe by the 20 year anniversary I will have finally played every last SNES game I own

MY SUPER NINTENDO COLLECTION

Brand new URL!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Steve, if I may quote something you wrote back when I announced the OPCFG's 10th anniversary on April 15, 2008...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Many gaming sites come and go. Only the very best stand the test of time. OPCFG has. Congrats Rob, it's a hell of an accomplishment. I can only hope I'll still be around in 2017 to celebrate my very own 10 year anniversary. That's an eternity away!
    Congratulations - you made it! And I'm glad we're both still here to celebrate this milestone. Cheers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    Congratulations - you made it! And I'm glad we're both still here to celebrate this milestone. Cheers!
    Cheers guys! I've enjoyed and appreciated both your sites.
    Thanks for capturing some (or a lot!) of the era!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yes, congrats and phenomenal work! Some of the very best folks on the internet.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Congrats...

Godspeed, man. Damn fine work, and much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Thanks everyone

Wow, my apologies to those who replied to my previous post way back in January of 2017 (nearly two years ago) -- I realized I never responded! It's been nearly two years since I bumped this topic so I thought now would be a good time for a little update regarding RVGFanatic. But first, responding to those who responded to my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    Steve, if I may quote something you wrote back when I announced the OPCFG's 10th anniversary on April 15, 2008...

Hey Rob! Yeah man, crazy, we both made it to 10 year anniversaries with our fansites. RVGFanatic turns 12 (in total) January 2019... that blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Cheers guys! I've enjoyed and appreciated both your sites.
    Thanks for capturing some (or a lot!) of the era!
    Thanks man! Glad my ramblings over the years have managed to capture some of the magic from that era

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yes, congrats and phenomenal work! Some of the very best folks on the internet.
    Thanks Celery! You've always had the kindest things to say. I appreciate your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Godspeed, man. Damn fine work, and much appreciated.
    Gracias, bro.
    Last edited by Steven; 02-28-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Brand new URL!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Hey Rob! Yeah man, crazy, we both made it to 10 year anniversaries with our fansites. RVGFanatic turns 12 (in total) January 2019... that blows my mind.
    I know the feeling. The OPCFG turned 20 this year. I haven't updated the site in ages, but it's still technically open, so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default RVGFanatic turns 12!

Last month (January 17 to be precise), RVGFanatic turned 12 years old. Dang. Feels like yesterday I was just celebrating 10 years. I launched an article that highlights some site history, my top 35 favorite reviews and articles I've written over the past 12 years and other random remembrances. It's been a blast and here's to 12 more years.

RVGFanatic Retrospective

I appreciate all the positive feedback and support throughout the years.

What else have I been up to? I published a two part special earlier this month entitled

Fast Times At Bayside High

and

Fast Times At Bayside High: The Reunion

These articles aren't gaming related but if you're in the mood to read some cool stories, it might scratch your itch.

The Reunion piece features an interview I conducted with actor CYLK COZART as he reflected on his Saved By The Bell cameo, growing up in the '60s, White Men Can't Jump and more.

In other news, I'm very excited for March. I'll be launching a Super Nintendo review in March that features an exclusive in-depth interview with the game's programmer. It may not be the system's most popular game, but the Q&A is some good stuff.

Until next time, take care

Brand new URL!