Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [RVGFANATIC] Now celebrating a dozen years! 12 year retrospective + random updates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Froboz, Nerd, Spartacus and MachineGex, thank you guys for the kind words. Sorry I popped back in here pretty late but just had to thank y'all for such nice comments. Really made me smile
    I just love this time of the year. Nothing like being home on a Sunday... 5:30 PM... the sky begins to darken... and you just have a little time... either to pop in a quick horror movie, or pop in a horror-esque video game. There's something great about that small pocket frame where you get to just enjoy the little things in life

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I absolutely love reading your site. It brings me back to a time when I got super excited to read about the new games coming out in the early 90's. I loved getting EGM every month and reading about the new games that were hitting the shelves. Your site does a great job at restoring that feeling. I love reading about the gems I overlooked.
    Thanks!
    You're very welcome! Glad my style resonates with you. You know I love EGM back in the day as well, and I have been told on more than one occasion that my site somehow has the spirit of those old gaming mags. I remember fondly the excitement of getting EGM back then as well. Good times. If I can recreate even just a small portion of that feeling, I'm more than thrilled.

Happy Halloween!

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default My Love Letter to Super Mario Kart

Wow, it's been six long (but fast) years since I first opened up the doors to my website, RVGFANATIC. How quickly time flies by. On a personal note, it's been a great six years, and I look forward to hopefully six more. To celebrate, I had to write a love letter to one of my all-time SNES favorites... and it recently turned all of 20 years old. Man do I feel old...

Warning: tons of nostalgia and rambling ahead. There's a little Christmas 1992 flashback, I speak about the "secret man-made makeshift" TAG mode, there's a look at SMK's "DYNOMITE!" commercials and much more. So, come take a stroll down memory lane with me... or maybe Rainbow Road... [Oi... -Ed.]... it's the game that sold Super Nintendo systems by the truckload more than 20 years ago... it's Super Mario Kart!

Happy 6 years RVG, and happy 20, SMK

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 20 years of DOOM, the Mode 7 Year Itch and a preview of what's next!

Hello again everyone! Happy Veterans' Day weekend. A salute to all the soldiers out there, active or retired.

It's been almost about a year since I posted in this topic, which can only mean... RVGFANATIC is gearing up to celebrate 7 years since it launched! Wow, 7 years. Time flies. If you missed it, for the 6 year anniversary earlier this year I wrote an editorial "The Mode 7 Year Itch" (7 year itch being a psychological term people use to describe the point where a relationship begins to wane severely and the "happiness" dies out) which explores why my SNES passion still burns even 7 straight years later. What has it been about this system that has kept me personally going? Coincidentally enough, I came up with 7 reasons why.

Speaking of anniversaries, next month DOOM turns all of 20 years old. Man. That's nuts. 20 years later, it still captures the imagination, in my humble estimation. My latest review focuses on the SNES port of DOOM, a translation that people seem to either appreciate/support, or hate, with little in-between. Find out where I stand, and also read about my various memories related to DOOM and the genre. In addition to random ramblings about real life happenings nearly 20 years ago. You know by now how I roll!

And... I never preview upcoming work... but this time, I feel I ought to. It's a game many love and worship... a game that has exploded in price and demand... and now... YES, it's finally coming to RVGFANATIC... it's... well, a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

Coming SOON to a browser near you!

*drum roll*

EARTHBOUND goes under the knife, receiving the full "RVG makeover," and hits cyberspace by Thanksgiving!

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems like a good time to go over just what the 7 built in hardware display modes of the SNES are. Some time ago, I actually discovered the thread you made before you put the site up, still archived at that site I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And 4 hours later I'm still reading/browsing your website. How did I miss this thread until now?

I, too, have the receipt for when my parents bought me DOOM (for the 32X, though), it's around here somewhere. I'm still amazed they spent $69.99 on that game for me, just days after Christmas (where I received a 32X and Virtua Racing Deluxe). Damn, I was a spoiled child (teenager). I still remember sometime in 1995, standing in a FedCo at the SNES kiosk, watching a video of SNES DOOM play, totally dumb-founded that it could actually function on the system. Then some wise-acre walked by and said to me, "It's just DOOM." Jack ass.

Great magazine memories in there too, nice to see someone else who values the media of the age as well as the games.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 11-11-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile The Summer of Imports + Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    And 4 hours later I'm still reading/browsing your website. How did I miss this thread until now?

Great magazine memories in there too, nice to see someone else who values the media of the age as well as the games.

Wow, 4 hours! Thanks for the compliments, SpaceHarrier. It's been a fun journey, for sure

Well guys, first off, apologies for not delivering through on EarthBound by Thanksgiving 2013 as promised. Things happened and I felt a desire to work on other reviews so I put EB off on the backburner. It will be worked on soon, though, and I'm eyeballing August or September. I don't want to make EXACT promises but I can safely say it will be out before 2015...

Moving on, it's been a while since I posted in this topic and feel it's a good time to touch base. I, of course, have been busy working on my site, adding a host of new reviews such as Treasure Hunter G, TMNT Tournament Fighters, hell, even 3 Ninjas Kick Back (Breaking Bad style, naturally) and most recently, Super Street Fighter II. But my latest published work is not a review but a memoir of sorts...

Growing up, summer and gaming went together like PB&J, or Batman and Robin. There was something simple and magical about it, especially when you added in the key ingredients of a best friend and some highly alluring, mythical Super Famicom imports. This memoir is a tribute to the best summer of my childhood that happened 20 years ago. It was a summer of discovery, a summer of magic... THE SUMMER OF IMPORTS.

Lee's stage is SEARED into my retina. It SCREAMS June 1994. This bucolic stages captures that time perfectly!

Finally, thanks to Rob Strangman, this story (and 4 other stories of mine) appear in his recently released print book MEMOIRS OF A VIRTUAL CAVEMAN. Weighing in at a hefty 472 megs, I mean, pages, it recounts the defining gaming moments of 21 gamers growing up from the '70s to '90s. There are also exclusive interviews Rob did with such industry insiders as Yuzo Koshiro, Martin Alessi, David Crane, EGM's Sushi-X, and much more that make their way into the book. Did I mention it also includes PICTURES? It's available now on Lulu.com for purchase; I highly recommend it for some excellent retro gaming reads. But, don't just take my word for it -- you can visit the website and read a bunch of FREE sample chapters RIGHT NOW! We thank you for your support of the book we worked so hard and passionately on.

472 pages of retro gaming nostalgic goodness! It includes pictures and industry insider interviews

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on being published !
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow just read the Super Play story. I was wondering how Rachel managed to send the mags for GBP40, no way, I thought....

I used to have the whole set of SP, when I left UK I dumped the whole lot (Nintendo was never high on my agenda), together with Total (now that was a great Nintendo magazine), actually I used to have ~5000 UK gaming and computer magazines, due to leaving UK I am now left with ~2000 and half of my gaming collection, so a lot had to go.

Guess that's the way it goes.
    Last edited by tom; 07-28-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I have been gone for over a year but first thing I did was buy this book.
    Looks great, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Well, I have been gone for over a year but first thing I did was buy this book.
    Looks great, can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default SNES interview 6 years in the making

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Wow just read the Super Play story. I was wondering how Rachel managed to send the mags for GBP40, no way, I thought....
    Heh, that story. Yeah, it was a classic dramatic tale. The 8 year anniversary just passed for when my SP issues arrived (October 24, 2006). I remember it like it was yesterday.

Well, I have been gone for over a year but first thing I did was buy this book. Looks great, can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Awesome! Gex, have you had a chance to get/read it yet? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Well guys, I am proud to present the exclusive in-depth Wolfchild interview that Simon Phipps was so kind to do with me this past September. This is an interview we originally wanted to do back in late 2008, but because of various circumstances did not happen until September 2014. Learn about obscure stories lost to time and things that have been a secret for 20 long years... including... well... this...

In Simon's own words... "um... yeah..."

Simon was a great interview. He was entertaining and also shared some real in-depth answers. Be sure to check out the Wolfchild review + interview with Simon Phipps.

Thanks for checking in as always.
    Happy holidays!
    Last edited by Steven; 06-21-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Great interview! I love learning about the design process behind games and ports. As I read about Simon's background and work on Wolf Child, it made me think about how similar old school game design (where often one person did the design, art, and programming) is to "modern indie retro design". . . and then Simon's story comes full circle as he leaves his job with Criterion/EA and goes indie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default One of my favorites...

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Great interview! I love learning about the design process behind games and ports. As I read about Simon's background and work on Wolf Child, it made me think about how similar old school game design (where often one person did the design, art, and programming) is to "modern indie retro design". . . and then Simon's story comes full circle as he leaves his job with Criterion/EA and goes indie!
    Thanks brother. Yeah, Simon was a super awesome interview. Great guy all around and gave some very in-depth insightful answers! And yes, him coming full circle was fittingly perfect.

Alright, although I haven't updated this topic in a while, I have been busy cranking out new material. Since I last posted here regarding Wolfchild, these are the new reviews I've written:

1. Donkey Kong Country (What can I say, a straight up SNES classic)
    2. Equinox (Really enjoyed this game, despite its frustrating difficulty)
    3. Breath of Fire (Part 2 is much better but this was a nice intro to the series)
    4. EarthBound (Wrote a love letter to this game for V-Day lol sigh...)
    5. Gunman's Proof (Zelda meets Wild West -- highly recommended!)
    6. Arkanoid: Doh It Again (one of the best 2 player games on SNES)

Last night I just published my 90th SNES review. It's a game I've been meaning to highlight for close to a decade now! I'm talking about RETURN OF DOUBLE DRAGON!

It's the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon but WAY better due to a few key mechanics being altered in the JP version.

Double Dragon has always been one of my favorite gaming franchises, and RoDD is one of my favorite beat 'em ups of all time. Please note I took plenty of creative liberty with the plot (as I sometimes do, other examples include using Predator for Contra III and Halloween 4 for Super Castlevania IV). This time I used AKIRA. Those Akira pictures were actually taken way back in 2008, lol. Finally got around to using them! I know not everyone is a fan of Super Double Dragon, even the Japanese version, but I've always felt it deserves a little more love than what it normally gets from the retro gaming community.

Also, I've launched a new poll on my site to coincide with the next Star Wars film coming out later this December. If you've played all 3 of the SNES Star Wars games, feel free to voice your opinion by casting your vote. What is your favorite SNES Star Wars game?

Happy Father's Day!

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default From the humongous to the minute + Brian Greenstone interview

Wow, it was a busy July. I wrote and published 3 reviews (the most I've done in a single month in forever). In honor of JURASSIC WORLD, I played and reviewed Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues on the SNES. Not too crazy about the former, but I definitely enjoyed the latter, even as hard as it is. I definitely feel JP2:TCC deserves more love than what it gets.

Also went back to rewatch the original film and reminisced a bit about that in the first review. In the second review, I used some shots from PREDATOR which I swear Ocean was inspired by when making their epic voice-filled JP2 intro.

Moving on, we go from the humongous to "Humongous"... or incredibly small, anyhow. I thought it was a fitting time to finally play Harley's Humongous Adventure with the Ant-Man movie coming out soon (at the time it was the 4th of July). So, I recently sat down to conquer this 22 year childhood curiosity of mine, which culminated in an interview I conducted with Brian Greenstone (Harley's programmer) on July 6, 2015. It was a fascinating stroll down memory lane for both of us, as we recalled some good times from a bygone era. It was one of those gaming-related weekends I'm sure to remember for years to come. It's not everyday you get to interview someone who made a video game, especially from the 16-bit era. I'm extremely appreciative that Brian took time out of his busy schedule to talk about his baby from over 22 years ago.

As for the game itself, believe it or not it's actually not too shabby.

Harley's Humongous Adventure review + Brian Greenstone interview

PS- Rest in Peace, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. You were one of my all-time faves. Farewell Hot Rod.
    Have a great weekend everyone. As always, thank you for visiting, and long live retro gaming!

Heaven just got a little rowdier

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Steve, have you ever considered publishing an RSS feed of your new articles? I went to add you last week to my reader and couldn't find one for your site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Ending summer with a bang

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    Steve, have you ever considered publishing an RSS feed of your new articles? I went to add you last week to my reader and couldn't find one for your site.
    My site unfortunately doesn't have that capability. Sorry for being ghetto, lol. So people just have do the old school check in thing. On average, I update about once a month. But, speaking of which, I've managed to pump out another review and it's for a game I've wanted to talk about for some time now.

Question: What do you get when you cross Earthbound's zany sense of humor/contemporary setting with Final Fantasy V's job class system?

Answer: The Adventures of Hourai High!

One of the DAMNDEST role playing games you'll ever encounter. Words can't describe how kooky and charming it is. But you know I'll attempt to, anyhow, as well as reminisce a bit about my own high school days along the way. Summer is waning as back to school rush begins to kick in, and though it is flawed, Hourai High is definitely worth a visit if you love RPGs/Earthbound.

Adventures of Hourai High

Brand new URL!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool site, definitely reminds me of an old school mag like Diehard Gamefan. I like how you put little editor's notes in there to give that extra touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Indefinite Hiatus :(

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Cool site, definitely reminds me of an old school mag like Diehard Gamefan. I like how you put little editor's notes in there to give that extra touch.
    Thanks! I love doing those silly [ -Ed.] quips, heh.

---

Hey guys,
    I have a big update regarding the status of RVGFanatic. But first I wanna thank everyone who has visited my site over the years. It's crazy that RVG is about to turn 9, especially in a day and age where gaming fansites tend to have a short shelf life. It’s nice to know there are people who read and enjoy my ramblings. I'm constantly amazed at how my gaming stories and memories have resonated with others around the world. Growing up in the 16 bit era marked a magical time in our lives, and our shared collective childhood memories are firm proof of that.

So it is with a heavy heart that I announce RVGFanatic, until further notice, is on an indefinite hiatus. The company I work with took down their website builder that I've been using since 2007. I found out last month when attempting to publish my annual Halloween piece. They're currently working on a new model. So I won't be able to publish any new updates until they fix this.

I hope the next time I post in this thread that it shall come with good news.

Cheers,
    Steve

Last edited by Steven; 03-08-2016 at 02:14 AM.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default New URL, same nostalgic spirit

I'm finally back!

The new URL is http://rvgfanatic.com/wordpress/

Expect more consistent updates than the old site (which thankfully remains viewable). I'm looking forward to hopefully updating as frequently as once a week (definitely at least once every 2 weeks). Feel free to leave a comment either in the WordPress or here!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Steven; 03-08-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default A caveman and a badass mercenary walks into a bar...

Prehistorik Man and I have a bit of history together. Hey, give me points for not doing a (pre)history pun there. Would that be a pun? Would it even make sense? Ah hell, I can't think right now. ME CLUB BAD GUY! ME EAT FOOD! *grumbles*

Blackthorne is one of my unsung favorites when it comes to games outside of the Triple A heavy hitters on the SNES. Quite a fun title that I feel still to this day it gets somewhat overlooked. I certainly don't see it enough in various recommendation lists over the years, and that's a shame as I feel it has more than enough merit to warrant being included.

On a side note, for the first time in like 8 years, I've written new SNES reviews in back to back weeks. It feels good! I'm going to try and update more frequently on my new Wordpress. Looking to publish new content on at least a biweekly basis. Of course though, we'll see if real life agrees with my publishing schedule! But so far, so good. Stay tuned!

Brand new URL!