Thread: Favorite lightgun titles/recommendations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Default Favorite lightgun titles/recommendations

I am freaking crazy for lightgun games nowadays. But then, I've always loved them. A recent playthrough of the latest installments of my two favorite series out there, Time Crisis and House of the Dead (I played and beat both TC4 and HotD4 at the very same arcade) made me recall why I loved those games so much. They fast yet simple, and damn if they don't let up on the furious action and pressure.

So, what are some of your favorite lightgun games, and/or what do you recommend others play and/or get? I figure I'd place this in "Modern," even though lightgun games have existed... even back in the sixties, if I'm not mistaken, with Nintendo's old laser Duck Hunt light projection game. So feel free to move it if it'll be more appropriate in the classic sector.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The Namco 'Crisis' series have always been my favorites.

Crisis Zone gets my top honor.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

House of the Dead and Time Crisis are both top-notch in the genre, but let's not forget about the Virtua Cop series. Both VC1 and, especially, VC2 are both excellent games-- personally, I like them more than those other ones. The home edition of the games are on the Sega Saturn and, like all Saturn light gun games, is best played with the official Sega Stunner gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Time Crisis 2 is my favorite of the series. Vampire Night is also a great PS2 game. Do yourself a favor and get one or all of the Point Blank games for PSX. This is some of the best light gun action there is.

Every light gun game on Dreamcast is great (HotD2, Confidential Mission, Virtua Cop 2), save for Death Crimson OX which is mediocre.

Oh yeah, I think the original Duck Hunt game came out around '75 or so, after Shooting Gallery for Odyssey

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just picked up Project Horned Owl for the PSone at Gamestop for a whopping $2.99. It's a decent shooting game, with interesting character/mechanical designs from Masamune Shirow. I'm sure everyone here knows this game so I won't go into detail on it.

One of my other favorite shooting games on the PSone is the shooting segment on Diehard Trilogy. I had a ton of fun with that back in the day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Horned Owl was great, and I knew the design seemed familiar. It wasn't until the end that I knew who it was.

Rescue mission for the master system was alot of fun too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Some good ones so far here. I also totally love Point Blank and Virtua Cop. I've always loved PB for its complete zaniness and ingenuity. The first game's PSX translation is a MUST for its Quest mode alone. A lightgun RPG... Namco, is it any wonder why I want to marry you?

And I actually haven't become a major fan of Virtua Cop until recently... mostly because I REALLY sucked at it. I'd always be too overexuberant on the trigger finger, thus leading me to kill those ABSOLUTELY FUXING STOOPID HOSTAGES. See, I dislike innocents in just about any game like this... though, I feel more sorry for them in House of the Dead, as you can very obviously see that they're in serious trouble. And in Freedom Force for the NES, they're actually being shoved out in front by the terrorists. But in VC? These idiots voluntarily pop out in the open telling you to not shoot, and you know that's just not going to happen. Same goes with Lethal Enforcers... but anyhoo, dumbass innocents aside, I've really gotten into VC lately for its VERY fast-paced action. In the Expert levels of both VC 1 and 2, it just gets freaking ridiculous with all the guys you have to shoot in a row. And dammit, I really hope VC3 makes its way to home consoles eventually.

Another grand game is Elemental Gearbolt, with a very unique set-up (fantasy isn't exactly what comes to the forefront of your mind with these types of games) and loads of challenge to spare. That final boss puts the pressure on me every time.

So, I'd like to hear about a few certain games in detail:

Point Blank 3: I love PB, and I have no idea why the hell I spaced on PB3. I heard there's not much new to offer, but... well, it's PB, so I'm not sure I care much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so they say.

Time Crisis: Project Titan: I've heard that this is the black sheep of the TC games, but I was still wondering if it was any good. I mean... hell, I do love TC.

Confidential Mission: I really don't know why I haven't given this one a play, but from what I've seen, it's quite similar to Virtua Cop. I would like another game for the DC so my Dream Blaster doesn't only have one use (HotD2).

Silent Scope Complete: I have always liked playing SS in the arcades for its bigass sniper rifle, and I was wondering if having all three games for the XBOX was any good? I heard it has this big rifle that comes with it, but I'm not sure if it would work on my LCD television...

Let me ask about a few games... looking for a bit of counsel here.

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I'd have to go for Point Blank- it's the Warioware of shooting games, but in a good sense.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

House of the Dead series
    Elemental Gearbolt
    Point Blank series
    Virtua Cop series (2 specifically)
    Time Crisis series
    Brave Firefighters (no home port, unfortunatly)
    Hogan's Alley
    Area 51

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    Brave Firefighters (no home port, unfortunatly)
    Oh man, I LOVE Brave Firefighters!

It's definitely a light gun game, I just never considered it one since the gameplay is so different from all the other light gun games, out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtus Cop is my fave "serious" lightgun series.
    Point Blank is easily the daddy of the fun n gun games (just avoid part 3 as it wasn't as good as the first two games) .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga View Post
    Silent Scope Complete: I have always liked playing SS in the arcades for its bigass sniper rifle, and I was wondering if having all three games for the XBOX was any good? I heard it has this big rifle that comes with it, but I'm not sure if it would work on my LCD television...
    Don't bother. The game is just barely a step above unplayable with a light gun. Get the PS2 version(s) and play with a USB mouse for best results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was listed above, but I need to emphasize Elemental Gearbolt for PSOne. Make sure you play with a GunCon. It is a 3D background/2D enemies deal like Project Horned Owl, but it has a fantastic soundtrack, excellent fantasy anime theme, and RPG elements that make it totally addictive. Working Designs apparently ramped up the difficulty, but it is doable and quite gratuitous. There's nothing wrong with a light gun game that requires speed and precision!

*edited because I used the word totally waaaay to many times.
    Last edited by klausien; 03-19-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I will agree that Virtua Cop is amazing, am I the only one here who likes Freedom Force for the NES...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Force_(NES_game)

I've always been a fan of light gun games, but those two are my favorites. I remember one time back in middle school when me and my friend went on a field trip to a local amusement park. It turns out it just happened to have a small arcade with Virtua Cop in it, and we played it for hours.

And I can't count how many times I've played through Freedom Force, and it never gets old to me.

My first PC games and favorite game of all-time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

revolution x!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although they're far from Modern, SMS and NES have some good shooters. Don't forget the GEN has that Menacer 6-game cart and SNES has Yoshi Safari. Then of course there's a bunch of previously stated games, Area 51 being another great Saturn title.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    While I will agree that Virtua Cop is amazing, am I the only one here who likes Freedom Force for the NES...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Force_(NES_game)

I've always been a fan of light gun games, but those two are my favorites. I remember one time back in middle school when me and my friend went on a field trip to a local amusement park. It turns out it just happened to have a small arcade with Virtua Cop in it, and we played it for hours.

And I can't count how many times I've played through Freedom Force, and it never gets old to me.
    Freedom Force is an underrated classic. It's definitely one of the best uses of the NES Zapper, and what really stuns me is its incredible realism. It's vicious and fast-paced, and just damned fun to play overall.

Also, there's one thing in FF I like much better than in VC: The innocents. In VC, the bastards are just plain fucking stupid. Save for a couple of instances where the bad guys hold them, these morons run right out in front without realizing that being caught in a crossfire is much worse than staying right where they are. VC innocents are just the worst... I almost WANT to shoot them. But in FF, you can very obviously tell that these poor humans are all under captive dishonor, and the terrorists shove them out into the open! Them I feel sorry for...... wait, not that idiot skateboarding kid in the third section. WTF was up with him? "Dude, I'm totally going to show how extreme I am by riding through a hail of bullets. COWA-BUNGHOLE!" That little snot is the only exception, but everyone else in FF is in involuntary danger.

Dammit, I wish there was an FF2 that lasted longer and had some bosses. Still, FF is a fine game that matches up to the VC series.