Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Name This TI-99 Game Please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Looking over the list of released games, I can't think of any that have a cow jumping over the moon. The closest I can think of is the conversion of Popeye, with the big moon in the background. I've never played it, so I don't know if there's a cow jumping over it at some point.
    http://www.videogamehouse.net/popeye.html

Of course, it could have been an educational game and you were too young to know the difference...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nine feckin' years, and I think I might, finally, have it.

I downloaded a torrent of TI994A games a while ago but never bothered looking through them. While searching my hard drive for a copy of Cave Story just now, I happened to notice there was a game called "Old Dark Caves 2" that I didn't remember seeing in any of my browsing before.

So I Googled <"dark caves" ti994a>, which brought me to http://tigameshelf.net/xb.htm – AND THERE IT WAS.

Void, by Gregory Kean
    This is a somewhat surreal game with a science fiction feel where you are trying to move from one level to another by jumping over moving obstacles that will kill you on contact and activating the doorway to the next level. Requires precise hand eye coordination and cool nerves. Very original presentation and addictive albeit difficult gameplay.
    An extended BASIC game, "recently rediscovered" as of September 2009, according to http://www.retroclouds.de/#post8 . (That would explain why no such game is, in fact, in that archive I downloaded.)

The mystery, it seems, is solved at last! Now I just have to figure out how to get it going, and then be immensely disappointed.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

I was reading over this and I just thought I'd quickly say congratulations on possibly concluding your quest! Long time to find a game, it's amazing how hard it can be to find something like this isn't it? Just goes to show how vast and diverse the universe of gaming really is.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Now I just have to figure out how to get it going, and then be immensely disappointed.
    Yeah, pretty much. Extended BASIC did speed things up a bit, but it'll still play pretty slow considering what you're accustomed to. But still, it's got to be pretty satisfying to finally solve that mystery. Kudos!