Thread: Top 20 Diablo Clone PC games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Top 20 Diablo Clone PC games

I am by far an expert on PC titles, but I was wondering if there is a list of the best Diablo knock off games for the PC? I know that there is not a true "Diablo Killer" but I am looking for a list of some great action/RPG item hunts that are like Diablo. I have a 1.7 Athlon with about 700 megs of ram with a 256 meg graphics card. Games like Titan Quest wont work, I am looking for games a year back and before. As for the list does anyone want to give it a shot?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two that I liked are Space Hack and Fate. Both should run pretty well on older systems (especially Fate). I don't know if I can name 18 more, but that should start your list...

Links:

Space Hack: http://spacehack.rebelmind.com/en/main
    Fate: http://www.playfate.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I know that there is not a true "Diablo Killer"
    Nox would like to have a word with you, good sir. I found the singleplayer to be more enjoyable than either Diablo 1 and 2 while the multiplayer was just flat out awesome. There was even a free expansion for it. Sacred and Divine Divinity would also like your attention, as both are excellent action RPGs. Divine Divinity spawned a sequel, "Beyond Divinity", that I haven't yet played but have heard strongly negative things about.

Beyond that, you might want to take a look at Darkstone (available on GameTap now, actually!). Dink Smallwood (completely free now!) is more of an action/adventure like Legend of Zelda or Twinsen's Adventure, but is still a title you should check out.

Dungeon Lords looked interesting but I never gave it a play. Soul Bringer and Throne of Darkness aren't terribly bad, but you really should be playing Nox, Sacred, or Divine Divinity right now. Seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sacred is truly the greatest! I love it more than Diablo. more freedom, quest, items, characters, pretty much Diablo but better. I found a copy of it at Wal-mart for cheap but if you want to know more just message me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Top 20?? Somebody better start programming games so we can finish this list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I know that there are more out there and this list gives me a start. Any more?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will second Darkstone especially since it can be found for cheap.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's Space Hack. (oops, already mentioned)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Seige II are options, though I honestly didn't care for the first enough to play the second. In fact, I bought the first game because of Lazarus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSXferrari View Post
    Top 20?? Somebody better start programming games so we can finish this list.
    Quite actually it can easily hit 20, the real question is who knows of 20 off the top of their head? I own a lot of Diablo-like games, most of which are older and a few newer that are obvious knock-offs.

Dungeon Siege is created by Gas Powered games, which personally I feel are one of the next big powers in the PC gaming world. They have some of the old Blizzard programmers over there and idealists from the Total Annihilation days. I'm sure they'll at some point begin cracking at a MMORPG to compete with WoW, EQ2 and some of those others.

The Boulders Gate series is a great one. It's worth a pick-up for either console or PC and has many spells, detailed colors, dynamic character featuristics including clothes and decent story lines. Controls are fluid and comparable to Diablo and packages of the games can be bought new for $20-30 at retail and game stores.

I'd suggest to stay clear of Dungeon Lords though. I downloaded their demo a few months after their launch and it was sloppy and poor quality. It was just a little while afterwards I found the game for under $10 used but still $60 new at Game Stop. You can actually go on eBay and people aren't even bidding on it for pennies and dollars for shipping. It really says a lot.

For a larger list though, check out this link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...-Playing_Games
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dungeon Siege is ok. I didn't like it much because the process was SO streamlined that it seemed all you were doing was steering your characters. I know a lot of people liked it though.

I'll toss Titan Quest into the ring. Recent and very well done, quite enjoyable!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure Im happy about the term "diablo knock off", being old school to hear diablo being infered as the orginator of this gendre of games makes me feel like my age group have been insulted

I dont think I could say which was the original, but names like..

Exodus Ultima, Gauntlet, Phantasy spring to mind... diablo knockoff indeed hmph!!
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will second......or third, or whatever it is, Sacred. The game is fun, looks great, and plays great. It also has plenty of character classes to keep you occupied.
    I am teh winnar of the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lurpak View Post
    I'm not sure Im happy about the term "diablo knock off", being old school to hear diablo being infered as the orginator of this gendre of games makes me feel like my age group have been insulted

I dont think I could say which was the original, but names like..

Exodus Ultima, Gauntlet, Phantasy spring to mind... diablo knockoff indeed hmph!!
    When I use the term knock off it refers to newer games that look, play and inherit the style of an older. Of course I can see where you're comming from but when you read some of the publishers websites they advertise the game as being "like" Diablo, because it's something most generic gamers will identify. Dungeon Siege in particular was supposed to be the "Diablo Killer" but that didn't appear to be as such, although it did a decent job. I personally wasn't impressed but it is a better game than a lot of others floating around in the genre.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i recommend nethack if you are cool with turn-based and don't mind 2d, tile-based gfx. and the insane challenge level. i think it holds the title for greatest number of different ways to die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N...Screenshot.png

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Quite actually it can easily hit 20, the real question is who knows of 20 off the top of their head? I own a lot of Diablo-like games, most of which are older and a few newer that are obvious knock-offs.
    Right, but how many would belong in a Top 20? The Diablo games are great, and they have a few good clones. But they also have a bunch of bad ones. So while you can recommend several games, if you made a "Top 20" you'd start listing some awful games towards the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE - REDEMPTION (PC). It's a hack-n-slash RPG in the same vein as Diablo, but better in many ways: it features gorgeous polygonal graphics, a 3D camera system (you can even switch to first person view!), and a very immersive story, complete with great voice acting.

I've heard that the sequel (Bloodlines) is good as well, but have yet to try it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Ooooh, I gotta check these games out. I love Diablo.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmm...

Revanant, Kohan I + II, and maybe SOulbringer.

Darkstone was fun, forgot about that one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should try Lion Heart. It's a really decent game and has a little mixed feeling between Diablo and D&D. You learn spells and level up like usual but the enemies are more difficult, so you can't just go charging in and take on enemies one after another meaning you have to rest a bit from time to time (unless you stock up on health pots). You get a nice selection of weapons and armor plus you can summon and tame animals. Always a plus. I played it for several hours then it kept crashing at my saved position, which I believe was attributed to running it under Windows 2k. None are on eBay or elsewhere ATM but if you're interested in checking it out I may be able to help.