Thread: Top 20 Diablo Clone PC games

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Note: Although cyberfluxor cites "Boulder's" Gate as a Diablo clone, it's only the console games that are really Diablo clones.

The Baldur's Gate that came out on the PC is a straight-up RPG - the first in the Black Isle series...was released ~ 1998. From what I hear, the Icewind Dale games that were based on the same engine were a bit more action-oriented, but still not Diablo-style in true form. It's completely different from the other one for the consoles that had the three characters you could choose, and the bartender lady at that singing ghost tavern or whatever.

And I'm not exactly certain that Diablo really spawned this genre of games - but they certainly did do it best and most memorably (like just about everything that Blizzard does, to be honest). I mean, even an ancient game like the old Bard's Tale could be seen as a "dungeon hack."

Oh yeah - and the new Bard's Tale was actually released on both PC and consoles, so that would count as a "Diablo-clone."
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Naw, Diablo just brought more people to the genre. Really, if it weren't for Diablo II I don't believe WoW would be nearly as popular as it is today.

About the Boulders Gate comment, I do only have the GC game and have been wanting to grab the PC ones for awhile but I wasn't sure what differences there were. I've only heard positive things but it's been creeping out of stores and becomming a difficult game to find.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    About the Boulders Gate comment, I do only have the GC game and have been wanting to grab the PC ones for awhile but I wasn't sure what differences there were.
    Baldur's Gate isn't too shabby, but Baldur's Gate II is pure sex. They're completely different from the console versions, like calthaer said. You could TRY to play them like Diablo, but you will die within the first fight or two. I remember when I first played it I was expecting something akin to Diablo and didn't realize that you could pause the action to issue orders and such, so I was getting clobbered, heh.

You can play both of 'em on GameTap, but you won't be able to transfer your character from the first game to the second The Baldur's Gate II pack on amazon is cheap, though the first game w/ tales of the sword coast is going to set you back a bit more (there's an "Original Saga" box set that has the game + expansion on three CDs instead of six, I believe).

...but yea, rape/kill/murder/steal/beg/suck dick behind a dumpster/do whatever you have to do to get 'em, because you need to play 'em. Don't do it for me, do it for Minsc and Boo.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'm sure if you dug arround a bit they wouldn't be too hard to find online. Popular games usually aren't. But yeah, definately play Baulder's Gate II and then follow it up with Fallout. Just... just because. Glorious age of PC gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the Amazon link, I'll order it next time I get paid. It was selling for $20+ around here new and was a turn-off since I was always looking at other things to buy. And one of my friends is a huge Fallout follower but I only have the "sequal" on the PS2. It's another one of those games I'll keep an eye open for.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Thanks for the Amazon link, I'll order it next time I get paid. It was selling for $20+ around here new and was a turn-off since I was always looking at other things to buy. And one of my friends is a huge Fallout follower but I only have the "sequal" on the PS2. It's another one of those games I'll keep an eye open for.
    I never understood the mentality behind those sequals. They took two very popular PC franchises and decided to scrap everything that made them popular and release gauntlet clones. Yeah... that shit makes sense.

They may be fun dungeon hacks, but... they're nothing like the originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I never understood the mentality behind those sequals. They took two very popular PC franchises and decided to scrap everything that made them popular and release gauntlet clones. Yeah... that shit makes sense.

They may be fun dungeon hacks, but... they're nothing like the originals.
    By that logic, they never should have made Final Fantasy Tactics!

Spin-offs into new genres are just fine, ESPECIALLY when they are done well (which, admittedly, is rarely). BG on the consoles are very fun, tho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    By that logic, they never should have made Final Fantasy Tactics!

Spin-offs into new genres are just fine, ESPECIALLY when they are done well (which, admittedly, is rarely). BG on the consoles are very fun, tho

True, except they didn't quit making standard Final Fantasy games when Tactics came out. It was truley a spin-off.

The situation's more akin to the Shining Force series. Sega has apparently abandoned the tactical play mechanics in favor of action RPGs that generate mediocre reviews.

I personally wouldn't mind Baulder's Gate the Gauntlet clone if there had been a Baulder's Gate III to continue the series. It's not a spin-off so much as a new direction in gameplay. See my point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And one of my friends is a huge Fallout follower but I only have the "sequal" on the PS2. It's another one of those games I'll keep an eye open for.
    Yea, I never much cared for the console Brotherhood of Steel game. The difficulty was all over the place (when it wasn't too hard it was just too tedious) and the writing was just really weak. The three Fallout games on PC are quite a bit different (with the third one, "Brotherhood of Steel" being different from the first two) and generally quite a bit better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    True, except they didn't quit making standard Final Fantasy games when Tactics came out. It was truley a spin-off.

The situation's more akin to the Shining Force series. Sega has apparently abandoned the tactical play mechanics in favor of action RPGs that generate mediocre reviews.

I personally wouldn't mind Baulder's Gate the Gauntlet clone if there had been a Baulder's Gate III to continue the series. It's not a spin-off so much as a new direction in gameplay. See my point?
    Ahhh that is a good distinction! Has there been any word ever of a PC continuation of Baldur's Gate? Been awhile since the last BG-style PC game, that I can think of...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I'm pretty sure that the makers of Baldur's Gate moved from that series to Icewind Dale I & II & Planescape: Torment, and then moved on to Neverwinter Nights, where they're currently parked.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the makers of Baldur's Gate moved from that series to Icewind Dale I & II & Planescape: Torment, and then moved on to Neverwinter Nights, where they're currently parked.
    And don't forget the original Kinghts of the Old Republic. (:

I know that they still make good games. I'm just disapointed that the BG series had to end with the console versions. It's hardly the climax I would have liked to have seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Icewind Dale I, II, and Planescape Torment were from different developers than Baldur's Gate I and II, though Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II for Xbox/PS2 was from the same guys that did Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox/PS2), who were comprised of people that had previously worked on IWD and Planescape Torment. Black Isle did co-produce the first Baldur's Gate with Bioware, IIRC...but I'm not sure what the extent was of their involvement. A bunch of those Black Isle guys wound up at Obsidian working on Knights of the Old Republic II and Neverwinter Nights II, as well.

It's a shame we didn't get a full on trilogy, but I think they did a pretty good job wrapping up the storyline in 2 games + 2 expansions. I sure as fuck wouldn't complain if they ever made a new one, though.

Not to even further tangent the fuck out of this thread, but has anyone played Jade Empire? How does it compare to Knights of the Old Republic in terms of length, difficulty, and quality? As much as I completely LOVED KotOR, it was pretty darn short (when all was said and done, only about 15%-20% the amount of time I put into my first run of Baldur's Gate II)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Jade Empire's good, but if length is an issue I'm afraid it's very short aswell.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i wanna bring this topic back from teh dead to ask a little different question: what good diablo clones are there today. i loved titan quest and looking for something modern like it.

also, i played everything else mentioned here. and i love the console BG games (as well as the PC ones, but they are like mentioned, very different)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crusader: No Remorse & Crusader: No Regret
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mythos beta was amazing. too bad flagship f*cked up.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

Space Siege was just released and Sacred 2 is coming soon...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arcaniums pretty good too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

Another vote for Throne Of Darkness. If you're on an older machine, it'll work fine. It ran with no problems on my old 1.7 ghz celeron PC, running XP.