Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft needs to focus on a $199.99 core system and forget this other crap!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microsoft needs to focus on a $199.99 core system and forget this other crap!

Man, where do I begin? Personally, I think Microsoft is really lacking focus right now. They have Sony right where they want them, the Wii doesn't have much in the way of compelling software atm, it's a perfect time for them to strike while the iron is hot. IMHO, the best course of action for them is to get a $199.99 Core system onto store shelves. That's the one move that can catapult them to a 20 million worldwide installed base. The Black 360 with hdmi and 120gig HDD for $479.99 isn't going to do a damn thing for their installed base. What the Frick are they thinking? I know there is demand out there for a hdmi slot, and there is also demand for a larger hard drive, but this new Sku isn't what they need right now. What they really need is a price drop. More specifically, a $100 price drop for the Core version. $199.99 is the magical price point. You get a console to $199.99 for the first time, and that's when you typically see a HUGE spike in sales. Sure, the current Core model is a bit of a tard pack, but as the saying goes..."money talks and bullcrap walks". $199.99 is extremely compelling to the Mother that is standing at the register in GameStop trying to determine which system to buy her 13 year old brat. Sure, she will quickly discover that a memory card is absolutely mandatory, but she will likely discover that after the purchase has already been made. Plus, with the introduction of the 512mb memory cards, the regular ones will come down in price. There might even be 3rd party memory cards out there for like $19.99 or something. So you get the tard pack for $199.99 and a 3rd party memory card for $19.99, and you're basically in business. You can play Gears of War or Crackdown, or whatever, and save your games. You might not have too much other functionality, but who cares? You have just added 1 more person to the installed base, and ultimately, that is the key to winning this war.

We've heard the news that Devil May Cry 4 is coming to the 360 day and date with the PS3 version, and news like this continues to demonstrate the power of having the largest installed base. But you can't simply rest on your laurlels of having a 1 year head start and 1 killer app in GOW. Sony is starting to get some quality games coming out for the PS3 (Motorstorm, VF5, Oblivion, etc, etc), and it's only going to continue. Many have seen the pics and video of the PS3 version of Ratchet and Clank, and games like that could easily turn the tide for Sony. Microsoft needs to stop bullshitting, and take the bull by the horns and stick it to their competitors while they still have this golden opportunity. A $199.99 core system is the way to do that.

I remember back to an old 1upYours podcast, in which Shane Bettenhausen was discussing how the Microsoft guys had come to their offices to show them the new HD-DVD add on. While they were there, the 1up and EGM crew asked them off the cuff, if they were going to be phasing out the core system at some point. (all of this is off the cuff, mind you, and off the record). Supposedly the Microsoft guys told them that it was exactly the opposite. They claimed that the core system was going to be their Golden Goose, and the ticket to winning this console war. The theory was, that the core system would allow them to eventually have a 360 box priced at $199.99. That this magical price of $199.99 would ultimately be the key to winning this war. It would allow Microsoft to gain such a huge lead in worldwide installed base, that neither PS3 or Wii could possibly catch up. The lead would just be too great, too early, and it would become obvious to publishers that the 360 was going to be a long term player, and that you have to make the 360 your lead sku This would create a snowball effect, that would then spur even greater 360 sales, etc, etc. Supposedly the Microsoft guys told the 1up guys all of this off the record, and that none of it is official, but that they have huge plans for their core system.

Now, almost one year since that podcast, here we are talking about a $479 360 system that doesn't even feature a built in High Def DVD player, nor a wireless adapter. So, not only are we not talking about the price drop, something that is actually needed to somewhat erode those giant pyramids of stacked 360 systems at your local Best Buy, but we are actually talking about a price increase? WTF???

Microsoft stay fekking focused, and forget about all this other shite and get your damn Core system to $199.99. Otherwise, your nice little installed base lead that you have going on right now, is going to wither away into nothingness while more and more games looking like the new Ratchet and Clank get released on the PS3.
    Last edited by Anthony1; 03-21-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man you really got a hard on for that new Ratchet game, huh?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I disagree.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Motorstorm, VF5, Oblivion, etc, etc...."

Except...in your own example...only one of those is a Sony exclusive...one had been out for months, and the other is coming.

Sony's been suicide bombing themselves forever. There's not enough OMGWTF exclusives left on the PS3 to warrant any kind of terror.

Also, despite the lack of software on the wii (which ends today), the wii si still whomping the PS3; we're literally sitting on PS3 systems...Wiis we still get calls for like it was Christmas.

Microsoft and Nintendo are clearly in the drivers seat, and have no need to worry about anything.

If anything, wipe away the core, drop the Premium to $300 with Arcade Unplugged tossed in as a Live Teaser, and THEN you'll have the heads turning. At $300, for $50 more than a Wii you get all that, and for $300 less than a PS3 you get all that.

That would get me to buy a 360 real quick.

I'll wait till PS3 is dead to pick one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$199.99 is extremely compelling to the Mother that is standing at the register in GameStop trying to determine which system to buy her 13 year old brat. Sure, she will quickly discover that a memory card is absolutely mandatory, but she will likely discover that after the purchase has already been made.
    I don't really believe that's the XBox target audience at all. I think XBox is trying to compete more with the PS3 than the Wii. If they stripe out all of the upgrades and focus on the core, they will be giving the PS3 the upper hand. Those that want HDMI and a bigger hard drive are going to get a PS3 if they can't get one from the XBox. Basically, there's a want, and if they don't fill it someone else will.

I also think that is is unlikely to see a $100 price drop, they'll probably drop it in $50 increments. It'd be cool if they got to $199 core by XMas season, but I doubt it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I say let them do what they want.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

No reason why they can't release their massive 120gb nuclear deterrant AND have a cheapo core system... A $200 tag would entice a HUGE amount of parents to get little Jimmy that 360 for his birthday. Plays DVDs out the box? Loads and loads of software already available, more on the way? Upgradable with hard drives and HD DVD drives? I can see a few more million users from that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Price is king. Money talks, bullshit walks.

$199.99 is magical.

These are all facts that are well known. If Microsoft is serious about winning this console war, then they are going to do what needs to be done to have a 360 package for $199.99. Sure, alot of people aren't interested in the Core system so much, considering it has a wired controller, and you also need to add a memory card and some component cables if you have a HDTV, but the bottom line is that for many people out there, price is a huge issue. I don't care if Microsoft releases this $479 Super 360. If they want to do that fine. But I just hope they don't lose sight of the big picture. HDMI and a huge hard drive appeals much more to the hardcore gaming set that they've already won over. They need something that can appeal to casuals. Lowering your price under that $200 subliminal barrier (even if by only a penny), can do wonders towards attracting more casual gamers. At $199.99 a 360 becomes very hard to resist. ANY 360 becomes hard to resist, tard pack or not. In fact, if there was a core at $199.99, I'm guessing alot of current 360 owners would pick up a second unit, just to have an extra 360 in another room of their house. So, not only do you instantly appeal to casuals that just don't have big bank to spend on a console, you also appeal to soccer moms that are leaning towards a Wii (even though little Johnny really wants the graphics), and you also appeal to current 360 owners that wouldn't mind having an extra 360 in their house, if it was more affordable.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Price is king. Money talks, bullshit walks.

Then at 599.99 the Ps3 must whisper.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    If Price is king. Money talks, bullshit walks.

Then at 599.99 the Ps3 must whisper.
    It's certainly fell on many a deaf ear so far if the sales figures are to be believed- www.nexgenwars.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing that lots of people will have an opportunity to buy a perfectly good Xbox 360 premium system for cheap once the black HDMI version is released since plenty of people will be looking to upgrade their current systems.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess you can't please everybody. What microsoft offers is a reasonable choice. THe core package may be light on features but at least for 299.99 it lets people low on money experience the next gen and upgrade next payday.
    The new system will be there if people want it.

The ps3 is 499.99 min. I find it funny that the 360 offers a well balances game library as well as top notch online experiance and people act like there the saturn. I will tell you what's a tard playing resistance and motorstorm and claiming the ps3 is the end all be all new experience , system seller must have sell your 360 and games second coming. In fact release ratchet and clank today have a realistic environment nice online play and the facts still wont change. We are stuck on a slowly evolving wheel of slow releases of mediocre titles and where is the ps3 3rd party support?

Back on track there is no need for 199.99 right now. Do I want a new back 360 yes. Am I going to get it at the intro price no. Here is why.

I can get the same experiance with my current premium system. I also want hdmi but seeing how my ps3 hdmi is not working on my current hdmi new tv Hdmi can kiss my azz talk about screw ups.. One more note I will bet anyone if I hook up a new 360 with hdmi it will work.
    neo geo system

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    ..... $199.99 is extremely compelling to the Mother that is standing at the register in GameStop trying to determine which system to buy her 13 year old brat.
    If Microsoft sells 10 million 360's to mom's with 13 yr. old brats, then they would undoubtably begin catering their software towards that market. If that were to happen, I would have no more interest in buying a 360 than I would in buying a Wii.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    If Microsoft sells 10 million 360's to mom's with 13 yr. old brats, then they would undoubtably begin catering their software towards that market. If that were to happen, I would have no more interest in buying a 360 than I would in buying a Wii.

Yeah, I forgot. 13 year old brats can't stand Halo.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

really $299 is pretty damn good for the core. It is already only $50 more than a wii and can do a lot more than one. It's half the price of the 60 gb PS3(which is the only one I see in stores..."Wonders if they're scrapping the 20gb") ...If it was really needed I could see them dropping the core $50 to match the wii, but other than that , they're still stronger than sony which is they're target audiance.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    really $299 is pretty damn good for the core. It is already only $50 more than a wii and can do a lot more than one. It's half the price of the 60 gb PS3(which is the only one I see in stores..."Wonders if they're scrapping the 20gb") ...If it was really needed I could see them dropping the core $50 to match the wii, but other than that , they're still stronger than sony which is they're target audiance.

Alot of people think a $50 drop is more reasonable. Personally, I think a $50 drop is better than nothing, but ultimately a $50 drop is not going to be a long term factor in this console war. While a $100 drop would be a long term factor. Not only would it be a long term factor, but it could ultimately be looked back upon as the key move that Microsoft made that resulted in them winning this generation outright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Alot of people think a $50 drop is more reasonable. Personally, I think a $50 drop is better than nothing, but ultimately a $50 drop is not going to be a long term factor in this console war. While a $100 drop would be a long term factor. Not only would it be a long term factor, but it could ultimately be looked back upon as the key move that Microsoft made that resulted in them winning this generation outright.
    I hereby give you the award for the most uses of "long term factor" in one post. Good work!

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree for the following reason. Live is a huge piece of the Xbox business model, specifically the live marketplace. If you are encouraging people to buy the core system with no hard drive, you are discouraging them from making too many purchases on Live.

I'd bet that the profit margins on the Live marketplace items are higher than anything else they sell for the system.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two questions:

1) Don't you already have a 360?
    2) Do you work for MS?

If the answers are Yes and No respectively, then WTF cares?
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Can someone give me the cliff's notes of what Anthony1 wrote in his posts? I'm too tired and sick to read through them.