Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to the Age of 2D Fighter????

Insert Coin (Level 0) Stone_Protector_101's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow What Happened to the Age of 2D Fighter????

I really amd pissed at this no matter what fighting game that are released... nonoe i mean none can compare to the classics like Street Fighter any of that series but then came Guilty Gear X and stole the 2D fighters crown from SF.. but what happens to them all? what happened? any thoughts? i honestly think its a Dead Age now.... damn ppl and that 3D fighters bah hum bug...But y does Sammy continue to put out releases of GGX which is always the same damn game but with new colors....damn it we need a revolution of the Art of 2d Fighters......All praise the almighty 2D Fighters!!!
    Death From A Distance...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not so much 3d ( although this does play a big role ) but the fact Arcades within the USA and Canada are virtualy dead, aside from the odd one that has some old cabs.

Consoles for the most part helped cause arcades to die, lazy fatass bastards sitting at home in front of their 50 inch hdtv with 3d revolution and footstools to play tekken shit on, instead of heading down to the local arcade like in the 90s where we would all gather around a SF or Neo Geo cab for some matches.

With nobody to really support the dying arcades you are only left with Japan and importing these genres because nobody over here aside from the SRK community gives a fu$%ing shit anymore, it sucks yea but what can you do ?

Both shmups and 2d fighters were affected the most with this because for the most part they were the big 2d games in arcades next to the platformers and racing games, which in all honesty ( imo ) are much better now than back then, the other two need to stay 2d but the chances of that aside from handhelds or japan only is very slim.

So the next time you see some 16 year old crying his head off about the newest game sucking cause its not graphicly good enough, take a minute out of your day and repeatedly jump up and down on his testicles, tie him up in a 4x4 foot room with gradius and a hrap and make him play that till he loves it.

I think thats the best solution for these limp wristed kids today, they want everything uber looking and easy.

Oh and btw, the new Fist of the north star will be coming out Mar 29 for PS2 NTSC J, it's 2d looks badass...glad I pre ordered it. GGXX Core is also coming out very soon.
    Last edited by Wolf; 03-22-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's the new Fist of the North Star game coming very soon, which i don't think is being released outside of Japan (waits to be corrected). If you like the GG games then it's in a very similar vein. But i agree, new 2D fighters fans are very poorly catered for now (SF4 please Capcom!). Even 3D fighters have become very stale now and really need a rabbit punch in the bollocks to ignite them again.

If you don't mind trying a new 3D fighter and you are up for a challenge then you might enjoy the mad God Hand from Capcom. You'll either love it or hate it as it does need some dedication to extract the gooey-centred lovelyness that lurks within it's gaming heart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

omg yes i totally want new 2d fighers ppl we need more games like melty blood because its cool but arcana heart sucks and its all for pedos <_> ...also what happened to martial champion? what happened? yea it sucks some s&*t but racheal was pretty hot and i was all 0_o...damn ppl we need a sequel to that dont we and not that tekken shit damn these kids today with their ps3s and gears of wars and gundams and big pants? what happened? all hail the iron fist of communism
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is true that 2D fighters are dying off, but that can be attributed to the fact that people want 3D graphics not 2D. I am a huge 2D fighting fan, and there are still some 2D fighters coming out but they are only import though. Like King of Fighters XI, KoF XII hopefully be coming out sometime this year, and not to mention the new Hokuto No Ken(Fist of the North Star) which is made by Sammy. Recently though all I have seen are remakes and collections, like KoF: Orochi and Nests Collection and the Fatal Fury Battle Archives.

I would say that the decline of good arcades and fighting games go hand in hand. A fighting game is the most fun when you have someone to play against. Granted you can play alone, but there is nothing better than playing an actual competant opponent. I think that with the increase of people playing online, that might rekindle the 2D fighting genre in general.

Like when the Xbox Live Arcade released Hyper Street Fighter 2, I downloaded it first day and played it mainly online rather than the single player. I think that if they can put out more fighting games on either the Live Arcade or the PS3 Marketplace with online play then we might see an increase in 2D games coming out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

My friends and I from the ol arcade in Detroit were discussing this just the other day.

Back in the 90s, you were guaranteed at least one new capcom fighter every year, along with a myriad of other games from SNK, Rare, Midway, and others. You simply had a wide variety of neat games to play. Then in 2001, Capcom released CvS2, and promptly dropped off the face of the 2d earth. SNK is still around but has never been as popular for tourney play in the US. Furthermore, they haven't even released their latest three games stateside.

That said, our arcade got Samurai Shodown V, and SNK vs Capcom, and people gave both a chance. Most didn't like it. KOF 2k2 was fairly popular there, although by the time it came along few tournaments were still being held at that arcade. Guilty Gear is about the only other major arcade-based thing going...and Sammy just keeps dumping revision after revision on us(only one of which even came over here!). Melty Blood has no stateside release and thus not much of a following here. Same with Rumble Fish, and I'm willing to bet the same will be true for Fist of the North Star. Capcom shit out Fighting Evolution, boxed it up, and then acted surprised when it bombed. And most people consider Hyper Alpha and Hyper SF2 to be inferior products due to their slapdash nature(although both games are alright to be honest). Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Melee has managed to become the most popular 2d fighting game in the US, but that's a console only game. That said, it's also a showcase game at the upcoming Evolution tournaments.

Compare this to the 3d game scene, which still sees healthy arcade AND console support by namco with Tekken and Soul Calibur, and Sega with Virtua Fighter. They're still going strong. On consoles you've got a slew of other titles to work with.

It's a problem facing the fighting game scene as a whole. Without new games, the players will get tired of the same old shit and stop playing. And what good are new games if only a couple people can play them? Detroit's major fighting game arcade closed a couple years ago, but without new games to play what chances do any new ones have?

The rumor is that capcom is releasing Street Fighter 4 this year. If it's true, and the game doesn't suck, that could be the kick in the pants players need.

Edit: I guess Yuki, who did the last few Sam Shos, released a new franchise called Arcana Heart. Once again though, it's only in Japan!
    Last edited by ubersaurus; 03-22-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    The rumor is that capcom is releasing Street Fighter 4 this year. If it's true, and the game doesn't suck, that could be the kick in the pants players need.
    Where'd you read that?
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    Where'd you read that?
    Long ass time ago some Capcom guy did an interview saying that they were interested in doing one more SF series game for the 20th anniversary.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I love them to death the one killer thing about those neo geo ps2 collections is that they are online...in japan only which sucks for us, plus the remixed tunes and artwork packaging, I know the wii is getting some neo geo roms but are those going to be online in the US, like how you could go online with the capcom stuff on the xbox ?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

When the moon is in the Seventh House
    And Jupiter aligns with Mars
    Then peace will guide the planets
    And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
    The age of Aquarius
    Aquarius!
    Aquarius!

Harmony and understanding
    Sympathy and trust abounding
    No more falsehoods or derisions
    Golden living dreams of visions
    Mystic crystal revalation
    And the mind's true liberation
    Aquarius!
    Aquarius!

When the moon is in the Seventh House
    And Jupiter aligns with Mars
    Then peace will guide the planets
    And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
    The age of Aquarius
    Aquarius!
    Aquarius!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't get me wrong I love the Neo Geo Collections also aren't they supposed to be arcade perfect translations of the games to begin with?

But with the xbox online, the original Xbox had SVC:Chaos, Street Fighter Aniversary Collection and I think Capcom Vs Snk2 were all online if I remember right. Now if they can only make them backwards compatible then I would be so happy, or if they added 3rd STrike to the Xbox live arcade that would be perfect.

Also, the xbox 360 is so powerful that it can handle 2d fighting games easily, and if they used high-res sprites ala GG or KoFXI with better backrounds and higher quality BGM's. I would be the first to pre-order a 2d fighting game for the Xbox 360. If I remember right I think Neo Geo Battle Coliseum came out in Japan for the 360.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rurouni318 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I love the Neo Geo Collections also aren't they supposed to be arcade perfect translations of the games to begin with?

But with the xbox online, the original Xbox had SVC:Chaos, Street Fighter Aniversary Collection and I think Capcom Vs Snk2 were all online if I remember right. Now if they can only make them backwards compatible then I would be so happy, or if they added 3rd STrike to the Xbox live arcade that would be perfect.

Also, the xbox 360 is so powerful that it can handle 2d fighting games easily, and if they used high-res sprites ala GG or KoFXI with better backrounds and higher quality BGM's. I would be the first to pre-order a 2d fighting game for the Xbox 360. If I remember right I think Neo Geo Battle Coliseum came out in Japan for the 360.
    Rurouni: 3rd Strike is online via XBox Live with Anniversary Collection.

Neo Geo Battle Colisseum game out for Japanese PS2, no plans of it here. It was released in arcades here, along with KOF XI, but fewer and fewer arcades see these games.

Ubersaurus basically had it down right, and I have a few other points to add...

Arcade gaming is more of an oddity and casual atmosphere now more than ever with the extended large scale deluxe shooters and driving games. The only fighting games you really see out here are older versions of SF. (CVS2 and 3rd Strike and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 are the only ones still "sort-of" going, but come on, these games are 6-8 years old now, it's ridiculous that we have to put up with these games still.)

Sega released the last Capcom arcade fighting game in the US in the arcade (CVS2), and CFE or CFJam never came out in US Arcades. Hyper Street Fighter II The Anniversary Edition is supposed to be the "sequel" to Super Street Fighter II Turbo, but a lot of players shunned it because it is a very broken game in tournament play, and there was only a Hong Kong release and Japanese release it seems.

If we had an arcade scene like Japan, we would not have this problem, but everyone plays computer games competitively. The social aspect of going to the arcade is not there anymore, and it's hellishly expensive to run an arcade these days, even WITH redemption.

Guilty Gear is a great series, but yeah, they basically recycle it with a few new strategic elements that only hardcore players notice. Street Fighter did it for years, but at least you noticed the differences...

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I keep thinking that Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 killed off the 2-D market here in the USA. Since, every other 2D fighter that arrived here, there after, had the average gamer/consumer comparing each 2D fighter, that was new to the market to MVC2 always, and complaining that these other games are too slow. I've had customers turn down SF Anniversary Collection, CVS2, or even the Alpha Anthology, simply because they wanted MVC2.

Yet that is just my observation from what I have seen after 2001 and slowing watching a decline in sales of these games.

I mean, look at Guilty Gear on Xbox..you know it's bad when a famous series had to be published by Majesco here in America. Now it's scattered all over Ebay in bulk at a low rate. Yet, the PS2 Guilty Gear games still fetch a solid price. Doesn't make much sense to me, but tells me alot.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another thing I see as a problem is that younger gamers or new gamers did not grow up when shmups and 2d fighters especialy were all the rage back in the day when alot of us were either in hs or in college.

While I think anyone can easily get into 2d vs fighting ( and its stood the test of time both visualy and mechanic wise ), when there is 3d fighters out there and kids are peer preasured into being into "3d graphics" they are more apt to gravitate towards what is popular now.

Now that most of us are older, the only time we can really do serious or fun matches is having friends over, I own a hrap but the majority of NA modern gamers would look at you like eh ? an arcade stick ? We just cant have the kind of arcade atmosphere we were used to anymore unless we get together and do what we can to support and keep it alive.

The guys over on SRK and who run EVO have the right idea and deserve mad respect for what they are doing, all over the US they are running matches yearly, just to get into evo finals, even if they get a few srubs interested in it, thats good for the future of fighting games. In fact capcom is starting to support EVO now along with other companies like toyota etc, its getting bigger and better all the time.

That is the kind of exposure we need, even if devlopers like capcom take little notice, eventualy if enough people start to like it then it could affect later choices on them developing new 2d fighters.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why can't we have a street fighter alpha series with online fighting and good controllers. I am so ready for a new pimped out street fighter series. WIth the dvd capacity you can have all the characters and a bunch of new ones.

I love the original series but I think they ran that one in the ground with its mulitple rereleases. I will be playing the alpha series until I am dead.
    Last edited by gepeto; 03-22-2007 at 06:59 PM.
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0) Stone_Protector_101's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What we really need is a Sammy vs Capcom.... see alot of ppl dont know but capcom lost the rights to marvel so we will never see another marvel vs capcom remake of 1 or 2 done dealstick a fork in it flop. but sammy vs capcom would do great and put it on 360. but these are only high hopes full of twisted memories... i would say that will never happen so kiss my for not letting me have that game
    Death From A Distance...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbox live arcade games cost $300,000-500,000 and disc based games need to sell over 150,000 copies just to break even. There just aren't enough fans left, and without new fans the genre will die. 2D fighters have gone the way of the adventure game. You'll be lucky if you get a release every few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    There just aren't enough fans left, and without new fans the genre will die. 2D fighters have gone the way of the adventure game. You'll be lucky if you get a release every few years.

While some of this is true in north america, there is pretty big support and a scene with SRK and EVO, true it's not in the same scope as modern 3d action games but 2d fighting is far from dead, japan still has a major arcade scene for fighting games and the ps2 has had a ton of releases for it.

We just need to do what we can to get others, especialy modern or new gamers into the genre, if we can get enough interest developers will consider them and release them.

As an example, look at the rise in "classic" or vintage gaming over the last few years, CCC1 and 2 and those budget arcade packs are selling like hotcakes.