Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever kept a journal as part of your gameplay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ever kept a journal as part of your gameplay?

I know new games (such as Oblivion) offer an in-game journal system to keep track of quests, maps, and other pertinent information. That's a relatively recent development, though, and I wonder what good (or bad) memories everyone has of playing through games that required that extra effort on your part.

My first "game journal" was kept during Starflight for the Sega Genesis, and it detailed the journey of my character across the galaxy, meeting aliens and gathering resources. My last one, which I just found in a drawer (prompting this topic), was for Ambrosia Software's EV Nova. Quite similar to my Starflight journal, it was written "captain's log" style, detailing which ports I had visited and what I had done there. That was probably about 5 years ago, and I haven't played a game that needed journaling since then.

Kind of neat to look back and see those. I could envision almost every second of the gameplay as I had recorded it. Maybe I'm just OCD, or maybe I'd like to hear what everyone else did back in the day.

DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i never did that......but i should have.....i have save files on NES and SNES games from 10-11 years ago, and i have no idea what to do next....maybe if i kept a journal, i'd have an idea on what i needed to do.....

"And shepards we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee. Power from hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patri et Fili Spiritu Sancte"

drwily008: A kodiak bear bent on world domination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, but I sort of envy anyone who has the time and dedication to do it :-)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You pretty much had to for older RPGs. I remember keeping a little Ultima IV:Quest of the Avatar notebook for scribbling down hints, spell reagent lists, map coordinates and shrine mantras.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I wrote down three pages of questions/notes on my most recent playthrough of MGS2. That's the only time I have ever done it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I take notes sometimes, but never a full, elaborate journal. FFVIII was my most recent experience that required illegible scribblings on scrap paper.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to always make my own maps when I was a kid playing Metroid, Legend of Zelda, the Zork series, etc etc. Does that count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sort of kept a few, for various games. More like cheat sheets, just for short term memory.

Was playing Triple Play on the genesis years back... Me and my buddy played co-op. We realized that stats (home runs and possibly doubles)would plateau at a certain number. We had tons of hits/homers, we kept a running tally of homers/doubles for players that maxed out. Yes, "The King" as he once referred to himself, did max out...none other than Jim Leyritz. Didn't need these so they were recycled.

Also used rosters for Madden many times... otherwise I was drafting the wrong positions and then getting either a bad draft or backlog at certain positions. Also I played games late at night and need to utilize as little short term memory as possible. Kept a few of these. Decent teams, no wonder I rarely had cap room (never took the various shortcuts to get cheap players).

I used just a cheat sheet for Dungeon Magic on the NES after using the symbols to create a spell. This I hung onto. I keep on telling myself I will play it again. Then Borat screams at me "NOT!"

There are others but I forget. I usually kept everything really brief. Not so much journals as they are referrence cards.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

XYXZYZ would be the man to ask this question to.

Personally, I don't- I have a damn good memory to begin with so I've never had any need to. There are times when I've come back to a game following months away though, and yes, there has been a bit of a blank at times. Annoyingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember doing this for Legend of Zelda and Zelda II, but anymore I just draw out maps here and there or scribble down a few random notes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

YES!

I keep one for my SNES experiences, which help me to review games today, months after I've beaten them (and maybe forgotten some of the finer details, which I jot down in my journal). I have 11 pages of notes on an obscure game like B.O.B, that chronicles my journey through it. I think a gaming journal (basic or elaborate) in addition to a gaming log, is an excellent idea.

In fact, I need to add pictures of my journal and talk about it in my "Log It!" piece, which has long been in need of updating.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Azraelscross's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've been inspired. next time i play Escape Velocity i'm gonna do that. i've never done it before but i can see where it'd help with older RPGs. I'll probably end up doing it when i get a chance to play some old ones. I can see it coming in handy with those games

and it would probably come in alot of handy with the game features i do once in a while. Specially since i've started writing them instead of copy/pasta off of wiki and changing it to make it more streamlined

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few years back I had a notebook and wrote down everything I did in a game, which really read back very boring unless you experienced it. I was using it as a guide to get through levels on games without save points or passwords and I wasn't about to download/purchase a walk-through because that makes you lazy and not solve the more difficult parts of the game (and other things). Only recently have I actually been buying walk-throughs, mainly for RPGs I own and games I really enjoy but no plans on a huge library of guides.

If I get the time this summer I'll be kicking VG ass and will bust out a notebook and note what's going down. NES and SMS are the two systems I'll be concentrating on first.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    A few years back I had a notebook and wrote down everything I did in a game, which really read back very boring unless you experienced it. I was using it as a guide to get through levels on games without save points or passwords and I wasn't about to download/purchase a walk-through because that makes you lazy and not solve the more difficult parts of the game (and other things). Only recently have I actually been buying walk-throughs, mainly for RPGs I own and games I really enjoy but no plans on a huge library of guides.

If I get the time this summer I'll be kicking VG ass and will bust out a notebook and note what's going down. NES and SMS are the two systems I'll be concentrating on first.

Agreed, cyber. I've read back my gameplaying experiences, and if you didn't play it yourself, you'd find it very boring.

A journal allows you to accurately depict your feelings on a game when it occurs. People change over time, so a journal is great, especially if you're into reviewing games/doing online pieces.

I keep a journal right by my gamestand. Whenever I beat a level, I stop to write down some notes/thoughts. I also log the date and time of the game played... so many years from now, it'll be even more fun to look back on. (e.g. Wow, I beat Super Metroid 2/3-2/10 2007)

BTW, cyber, your feedback on B.O.B has been recorded

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I am so doing that the next time I pop in an old RPG. Sounds kinda like fun actually. The closest thing I've ever done is draw maps for first person games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    BTW, cyber, your feedback on B.O.B has been recorded
    okay.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Phantasy Star (maps)
    Shining in the Darkness (maps)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Panzer General (PC) I made a record in a notebook on each battle and what I ended up with at the end. A battle log if you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    I used to always make my own maps when I was a kid playing Metroid, Legend of Zelda, the Zork series, etc etc. Does that count?
    Me too . . . at one time I had a complete map of the entire game of Willow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

I had a book full of maps from Bard's Tale III. And I wrote a map of all the levels in Kid Icarus for the Gameboy. I even sent those maps to a magazine for use in their hints section, as they were paying good money (at least I thought it was good money at that time...) if they printed it. Never heard anything from them though....and they didn't print it either :-(