Thread: Resident Evil Series

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Resident Evil Series

I'm sort of new to the RE series since I always compared them to horror movies and to me most horror movies = but recently I picked up RE4 and even though I heard it has a bit more than the original 3 for the PSX, I really want to get the originals. Problem is there are no stores that carry PSX games in philly and leaving philly is kind of costly (student - no car) so I was wondering if there was a viable option to obtaining these games. I know ebay is one but I see most stuff on there is at the higher end for most items and since I'm new to collecting, I have no idea what relatively common PSX games are worth. Anybody know what I should expect to pay for RE1, 2, and 3 (prefer black labels) if I bought them new vs waited? Even better - if anybody knows of stores near philly that sell older games that sees some traffic. Thanks a ton.

Raymond

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Greetings

I am a pretty big Biohazard fan and here is what I can tell you.

First, obtaining RE1-3 on psx is fairly easy on ebay, these never cost very much ( compared to other in demand games ), aside from gun survivor you should be able to get them complete and black label fairly cheap, if not GH versions are easy to find there, I know you want black label but there is no big reasons to hunt down the psx black labels, if you want to collect them I suggest getting them all on the cube as these ones are harder to find, not literly rare just more in demand since they are harder to find.

RE 3 on the cube is the best looking versions with the DC versions ( 1 and 2 on it are dirt cheap ) being about as complete as the pc ones.

Now RE1, 2 and 3 for the psx are stil good games, but they are showing their age, REmake and 0 on the cube can be found easily and are also very cheap, to be honest they are still some of the best looking games around, due to the fact they are using pre rendered background, because of this the 3d models in it blend in so well you would swear you are looking at a real life photo or movie, its seriously jaw dropping in alot of areas for both of these.

RE 4 is great and all but it lacks that evoking atmosphere the traditional re games had, the controls are exactly the same just the camera is more third person/fps style, it also lacks alot of scare and horror imo, great game just a departure compared to some past ones.

I highly suggest you get a used cheap cube, pick up remake, turn out the lights, up the sound and stay close to the bathroom, cause I gurantee you will piss yourself in some areas, oh its also pretty tough on some modes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a PS2, pick up Code Veronica. It's one of the best of the "old style" RE games and you can find it really easily out "in the wild" for cheap.

Get ready for a shock when playing the older games tho - they have a totally different control system vs RE4.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No they don't.

Both CVX and RE4 are the SAME control scheme as the older RE.

In RE 4:

You still walk like a tank
    You can still quick turn
    You can still run the exact same way

The only thing it adds is the free aiming because of the camera and the fact you can jump through windows and bring up ladders and stuff, seriously it plays exactly like old RE for controls.

CVX is 3d but it plays like the old ones for the most part, it just has moving backgrounds, it's closer to outbreak over the old ones, it's a good game but the graphics are pretty nasty though, whats good about it is the story and length.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

If you have a DS, you should pick up Deadly Silence. It's fairly easy to find, it has a $20 price tag and it plays exactly like the original. As for CVX, I was never able to get into the game, for some reason it bores me to tears.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Picking up the collection isn't too hard on the cube. I have REmake, 0, 2, 3, 4 and CV. If you're careful enough you can probably get them all for about $100, and they'll all be on one system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard the DS version was way too easy compared to the classic in that they scatter ammo and saves more generously.

I really should get a cube as I haven't had a nintendo system (save for GBA) since my brothers N64. I've always been a fan of getting the game on the original system it came out for, even if it has dated graphics it just feels right playing it on the original system. In the end though who knows, I may buy a cube and get the games for it but if I can find all of the RE1-3 games for under $40 I'll probably buy right away (probably unlikely as RE1 black label is probably decently in demand).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    I heard the DS version was way too easy compared to the classic in that they scatter ammo and saves more generously.
    That's in Re-Birth mode, the original version is included and remains the same from what I've heard.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0) rustblackend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think any of the PSX/2 ones should be hard or expensive to get. The most I paid for any single game was $20 was RE4. I got 1,2,3 for under $5 a piece, got Survivor for $2, code veronica, dead aim, outbreak 1 and 2 for under $10 a piece.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow how'd you get the first three so cheap? They seem decently expensive on ebay.

Insert Coin (Level 0) rustblackend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got 1 at a pawn shop, 2 in a lot of PS stuff I bought at Atari Age, and got 3 at a yard sale (it came with the strategy guide too).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to say, that if you standing betvin chusing GC or PSX titels.
    I wold recomend going for PSX titels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Picking up the collection isn't too hard on the cube. I have REmake, 0, 2, 3, 4 and CV. If you're careful enough you can probably get them all for about $100, and they'll all be on one system.
    And worth every cent! RE4 is reason enough to pick up a 'cube

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Technosis View Post
    And worth every cent! RE4 is reason enough to pick up a 'cube

Nah, REmake and 0 are, 4 only if you want the better looking but less features version. Ok pre ps2 release yes but anyone who likes the series needs to play 1 and 0 at least once.

And traser there is no real reason to pick up the psx versions over the gc ones, seeing as how the cube versions are actually worth alot more and at least somewhat collectable while being the best looking to date, last escape on the cube had fixes and is the best looking version. Owning the original biohazard jp releases on the other hand, yea that would be a better idea...kinda.
    Last edited by Wolf; 03-23-2007 at 09:27 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

If you're going for the PSX versions, get Resident Evil Director's Cut and Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition. They're re-releases with extra things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic