Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Gamedaily's Top Five Most Overrated Industry People

Since everyone loves lists and everyone loves getting their panties in a knot, I figure this ought to be a fun topic for discussion...

Ready?

Steady?

GO!

Spolier ahead:

I agree with the list, for the most part. Personally, I'd replace Koji Igarashi with Tomonobu Itagaki (or Dead or Alive fame,) and put him at #4 and swtich Hideo and Shiggy. I'd also throw the Gran Turismo guy on my honorable mention list instead of American McGee (honestly, who really rates that guy for him to be overrated these days?)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a bunch of "don't get us wrong, we love him, he just ain't all that." meh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

You know offhand I know Miyamoto came up with Pikmin a mere console generation ago. I'd say that qualifies as a new IP.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

I expected to see Peter Molineux (sp?) on that list :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I really don't think its fair to put Miyamoto on that list. After all, do people say Spielberg is overated? I'd consider them to be somewhat similiar in regards to stature for their chosen mediums. I couldn't disagree with putting Peter Moloneux on that list. I'm sick of hearing his lists and lists of Fable 2 promises. Koji gets a ton of credit from me only because he is solely keeping 2D platforming/action games alive with the Castlevania DS--and now PSP iterations. He gets props for that.

Other considerations? How about the Stamper Brothers at Rare? Yes, I know they're gone now--and for good reason. The last major hit I can think Rare produced was Goldeneye or DK on 64. Both Perfect Dark and Kameo were senior produced by these guys with a ton of hype. Overated dev house? I think so.

My favorite choice? Ed Boon at Midway. Here's a quick trivia question for ya:

1. How many game franchises has Ed Boon been involved with in the last 10 years at Midway?

Give up?
    ONE.

Mortal overated Kombat. Nuff said.
    Last edited by agbulls; 03-23-2007 at 12:44 PM.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

While I wouldn't really argue with the people chosen nor the basic reasoning for them, the article just falls apart when it gets to the details. The NES Castlevania plays just like the new DS ones? What the hell is this guy thinking? He talks about how Miyamoto gets all the credit when he doesn't deserve it, yet he acts like Wind Waker is Miyamoto's personal creation? Not to mention ignoring the fact that Miyamoto has actually been put the MOST input into brand new franchises, yet these new franchises, like Pikmin, fail to meet the same commercial success. Oy, so many problems that make the journalist in me cringe.

Anyway, instead of putting industry figures down, whether they deserve it or not, I'd like to see a list of the most underrated people in the industry. I'd nominate Gunpei Yokoi and, speaking of Miyamoto getting all the credit, Eiji Aonuma.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heresey! except for reggie
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Anyway, instead of putting industry figures down, whether they deserve it or not, I'd like to see a list of the most underrated people in the industry. I'd nominate Gunpei Yokoi and, speaking of Miyamoto getting all the credit, Eiji Aonuma.
    Is Gunpei really under-rated? I suppose many don't know of him, but those who do surely think of him highly, no? Maybe it's just my inner Game Boy fanboy speaking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im a gunpei fanboy myself =P .
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

They should retitle this list.

"The five guys who might not do an interview with us for a year or so, until this blows over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought the list looked about right. They kind of put their foot in their mouth, but as far as lists go looks good to me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is a useless article, and I will explain why:

For Castlevania, they tried to go out on a limb with the 3D games, but they did not fell like "the magic" of the other games in the series (specifically all the 2D ones). "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" GAMEDAILY should be ECSTATIC Konami still WANTS to do 2D Castlevania games, which ARE good games instead of conveniently forgetting about the 3D games in the series which are subpar.

Reggie Fims-Ames is just a marketing guy. Nintendo did very well with the "Howard Phillips" figurehead, and that's all he is. WHy he is even on this list is beyond me since he does not do any game design, but I guess "overrated" and "industry" can mean anything.

Miyamoto? For all the complaining they do, did they forget what happens when Mario decides to sway away from his normal gameplay and then turn out Mario Sunshine? Mario ols school style games SELL, and they play WELL. GameDaily seems to have issues understanding these concepts. Each and everytime someone tries to release something COMPLETELY new, you run the risk of failure, which is not an option in the days of shareholders and missed opportunities. If you have a AAA franchise, you don't want to piss off fans "too" much because you end up losing out on sales.

Metal Gear? Maybe now. Metal Gear Solid 2 is way more movielike, and they are becoming very complex with little gameplay. Metal Gear Solid was Kojima's shining star, and he was WAY ahead of his time, revolutionizing the "stealth" genre back in 1987 when Metal Gear first came out, so I don't think he is overrated by any means. Again, GameDaily needs to go after the "hype" from franchises that did not sell for shit instead of going after tried and true names.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

ok list i geuss, i'll defend Tetsuya Mizuguchi though, even if he is only an honorable mention. sure his games have ups and down but the man really knows how to incorpate style into his games in fresh and modern ways.

I'm shocked we didnt see Will Wright on that list. really how many damn sims games/expansions do ya need? i'll hold judgement till spore is finally out though.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hah -- so Kojima and Miyamoto make the list, but not Cliffy B? We'll see who's talking about his games five years from now.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    Is Gunpei really under-rated? I suppose many don't know of him, but those who do surely think of him highly, no? Maybe it's just my inner Game Boy fanboy speaking.
    Well, he gets some attention, but not nearly as much as I think he deserves considering his contributions to the industry. I do my part to change that, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I agree with David Jaffe and Hideo Kojima.

But American McGee should be at the tip top of the list - no 'honorable mention'....

With the exception of Alice, all his games were overhyped pieces of shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Reggie Fims-Ames is just a marketing guy. Nintendo did very well with the "Howard Phillips" figurehead, and that's all he is. WHy he is even on this list is beyond me since he does not do any game design, but I guess "overrated" and "industry" can mean anything.
    After writing that, you still don't understand why Reggie is overrated? He IS just a marketting guy, yet he's treated like he's so much more. Hence overrated.

I actually agree with the SELECTIONS on the list, but I disagree for their REASONING for the selections. So I pretty much agree with what Aussie said a few posts up.

Cliffy B is starting to get overrated, too. I was expecting to see him on the list.

I knew Kojima and Miyamoto would be there.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know why American McGee is even on the list.

Aside from "Alice" (which was awesome, except the ending) he really hasn't had much. I've never read anything that hyped American McGee's newer efforts, only read about how they were lame.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed View Post
    Hah -- so Kojima and Miyamoto make the list, but not Cliffy B? We'll see who's talking about his games five years from now.
    Thank you. His middle name is Overrated.

I also agree with Captain Wrong in that Itagaki needs to be on this list. Honestly, outside of killer graphics and babes, I don't see what's so special about Team Ninja's output. Ninja Gaiden was better on the NES.

I also agree that putting Reggie on the list was a mistake for all the reasons everyone has already mentioned.

I can't agree with Will Wright. Sims factory or not, he is a legend on par with Meier, Miyamoto, Suzuki and the rest of the best. Also, I don't take kindly to people insulting Mizuguchi. The triumphs of Rez and Lumines outshine the fact that Q Entertainment needs to make other, lesser games to make money.

Here's my take:

5. Peter Molyneux
    4. Hideo Kojima
    3. Cliff Bleszinski
    2. Tomonobu Itagaki
    1. Hironobu Sakaguchi

Honorable Mentions:
    Ed Boon
    David Jaffe
    Kazunori Yamauchi

Face it. The Final Fantasy series, while having their moments and historical significance, are the most overrated video games of all time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree about Iga (or the castlevania series in general) being overrated. Don't get me wrong, its my FAVORITE franchise, but the last handful of games on the handheld systems were almost identical. I can only play SotN in different flavors but so many times. And the 3-D games were ALL horrible. I tried, tried and tried. But they fail as sub par devil may cry clones.

I do not agree with Kojima on that list. Every MGS game has blown me away every time. I love the cinema-like stuff, sometimes I wish I could just watch the movie sequences one by one.